DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

A month is far more reasonable.

2. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorta. Bats, Supes, and WW are or at least were the most popularly known heroes. I mean, no one called them that until DC did, but I'd say it had some basis in reality... there's a reason For The Man Who Has Everything stars those three plus Robin. Although it would've been pretty hilarious if Hal Jordan had crashed the party uninvited and gotten beaten to death by the alien with yellow skin.

That said, yeah, WW hasn't been successful in, what, decades? They say she's the hardest major DC character to write, and I believe it. Oh well, just get Johns on her, and he'll give her the motivating tragedy involving parental death and/or disgrace that the kids go ga-ga over these days.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd say WW still deserves that status. She may not be overly popular now, but she was back in the day, and the name IS pretty damn iconic.

Certainly more than GL, who only seems to have emerged as an upper-tier character very recently.

4. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Both books were sorta MEH.

By the way, I'm not going to use spoiler tags. There's a Spoilers Welcome in the title of the thread.

Justice League: This should've been special. Maybe 40 pages. Or 80 pages. And I think it shoulda introduced the members of the team--what are they doing, where are they, etc, etc, instead of the the battle of "wits" between Batman and Green Lantern. I'm choosing to read it all as homoerotic subtext, it makes it make more sense.

Not much REALLY happens in this issue, and that's disappointing. Pages of art, with some plot, basiclly. Vic gets more time than I thought he would. And OOO, what a TWIST ending, Superman!

For a "relaunch" it feels very much the same. Not much risk in the story telling.

You know what it feels like: an adaptation of a movie that's coming out.

Flashpoint: so, wait, Barry saving his mom's life causes the UNIVERSE to come apart? SERIOUSLY? Her LIVING redirects Superman's pod? REAIMS Joe Chill's bullet? SERIOUSLY?

And that two page spread that "explains" the nunuDCU? Um. Ok. Great explanation. I couldn't figure out the three streams that needed to be reunited.... DC, Wildstorm and... Vertigo?

5. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

True. Each of them had a successful TV show which is still remembered generations later. They're the only DC heroes who did, so that puts them among the most popularly known heroes right there.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's what it seemed to be saying.

I'm ignoring that the two-page spread exists. As far as I'm concerned, the coda with Barry and Bruce in the Batcave is in the DCU. And the DCnU is to the DCU what Earth-1 was to Earth-2. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

7. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I thought Justice League #1 was good as far as being the opening act of an origin story.

As far as Flashpoint #5...well, I think Star Trek XI did a better job in establishing an alternate universe, but I thought it ended well with its final pages.

8. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Meh, Justice League #1 was weird. That's supposed to be the start of the DCnU, the first issue that's supposed to get new readers exited? It wasn't bad, but there was nothing new about it, it didn't feel like a fresh start at all and it wasn't even about the Justice League. They're really writing for the trade and that's just stupid, why not tell a simple story to show what the Justice League is about in one issue, how many new readers will stick around for a few months until they get to read stories about the Justice league?

If they want to write for trades they should just release trades and kill the monthlies.

9. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Me too.

More to the point. Morpheus dies and Daniel, son of Hippolyta, becomes him.

10. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The robber that Spider-man was too selfish to stop turns out to be the burglar that killed his Uncle Ben.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  11. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh. Yeah, that's my point. It was always about marketing. GL is hot right now. WW isn't. So now we get a rebooted JLA where the three "big guns" are Supes, Bats and GL instead of a few years ago when it was Superman, Batman and WW.

12. Professor Zoom

Agreed on all counts. If this was really meant to be the launch, why not an 80 page, tell a LOT of story... not something that in the 1970s would've taken 3 pages.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just read it and thought it was pretty good. Nothing amazing, but a competent start. I thought the banter between Batman and Green Lantern was pretty good, especially the bits that Turtletrekker highlighted. I know some people are mad that it was just Bats and GL, but IMO that's a better way to do it then giving us all of the characters at once. Since this is the first time we're seeing the new versions of the characters, IMO introducing them slowly with each issue introducing one or two gives us a chance to get to know them as individuals before we get to know them as a time. I'm definitely intrigued by the hint as to who the big bad will be for the first arc (at least). The only real complaint I have, is that since this is the start of the new universe, it would have been nice to get a little more world building. There was some in dialogue, but it would have been nice to a little more detail. I'm definitely sticking through at least to the end of the arc, and the beginning of more of the series. My Rating: 4/5
    Oh, and if anyone is wondering about a poll, I figured this would be for the whole New 52, so I didn't think it would be manageable to try to do a poll with multiple options for 52 individual issues.
    EDIT: I forgot to mention that this was my first exposure to Jim Lee's art, and I really liked it.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well other than the first issue, which I'll get out of curiosity, I was just gonna wait for the trades on all these anyway.

Most comics today are so short that it's not really worth the EFFORT to buy individually.

15. Professor Zoom

Hint? It was shouted out.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I went during lunch and got JLA #1 but will have to read it later, as quick a read as it's likely to be. I did try to download the comic a few minutes ago but I think my work filters are causing an issue.

I'm also only getting the first issue and will wait for the TPB but will be spoiling myself with others posts just to stay current till I get the TPB's at some 1/2 off dealer come April at a show/convention.

18. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Here`s an unanswerable question - what mega-event is being set-up in the two-page spread in Flashpoint and who are "they"?

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^
    Stormwatch?
    I could see Jim Lee having the pull to make one of his babies part of the backbone of this relaunch. It would theoretically firm them up as crucial to this continuity and most likely any going forward.

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Um you did notice that GL is the designated buttmonkey of this issue right? Not Batman.