Storage Wars

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, Jan 6, 2011.

1. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oops! Being lazy with the new iPad.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I can understand. Typing on a smart phone, especially one without a tactile interface, isn't easy. ;)

3. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

w00t!

Just found this thread! We watch this show too. And like the rest of you, i HATE Dave with a passion. He is such an asshole, it isn't funny. That "yeeeeeeup" that he does. I can't believe no one has hired a crew just to beat the shit out of him. I can't stand his smug attitude and how he bids up a locker when he isn't even interested in it for himself, just to make other people have to pay more for it. I hope karma takes a big bite out of his ass someday.

4. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

See, that's why I don't understand why he would agree to go on a reality show such as this. In nearly every episode, they blatantly advertise the name and location of his store (as well as the couple's store). With as many nutjobs as there are out there, it wouldn't take much for one lone crazy to see him, think "He needs to take a dirt nap" and show up at the guy's store. Sure, they may not use last names in the show, but they do on their website and in promotional materials.

If we can have insane astronauts who will wear diapers and travel across the country to confront their lover's rival with a gun, we're at the stage where people need to protect themselves. Instead, Dave is basically saying "I'm an ass. Bring it on." I just hope no one answers his challenge.

5. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

You'd be surprised. I used to run a storage place back in the '80s. Not so much framed artwork, but other collectibles? Oh yeah.

Of course, we'd also get assholes who would store dishes that still had food on them.

6. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

I hear ya. I don't think any normal person would be that way on television. I'm sure he has some big goons with him at all times (he certainly has enough employees at his place), and he is so smug he probably thinks he is untouchable. He really is such an ass.

He is also probably getting a LOT more foot traffic in his store what with all the free advertising the show does for him.

7. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think he's such an arrogant asshole that he think's he's untouchable. I don't want to see anyone make him take a dirt nap obviously, but I can't say I'd feel all that bad if I saw a news headline someday that somebody gave him a good ass kicking. Of course he's such an arrogant asshole that one ass beating probably wouldn't faze him. And they do show his full name on the show.

I like this concept of this show, but I'm not sure how much longer I can continue to watch because I literally can't stand that guy that much. This is not one of these "guys you love to hate" things that make you tune in each week. His presence on the show makes it damn near unwatchable iMHO.

8. Trekker4747

The most recent episode was okay and the "Yeeeuppppp" guy wasn't in it as much, sort of. I do really like the old "collector" guy and suspect in the most recent episode all of the records he found would fetch him a better price on eBay or Craig's List instead of selling them to a record store that has to buy the disks from him and then turn around and sell them for a profit.

Those records would probably get him a really get price from collectors on eBay.

9. jep316

jep316 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like this show though I do wonder how "real" it is but that's true of almost all these reality shows.

I'm drawing a blank but there's another program on with 2 guys who buy storage lockers too but I can't remember what it's called only that one of them looks like the Big Show only a little shorter.

10. gh4chiefs

After watching this week's episode, more and more I'm feeling this totally contrived/staged. So you have these auctions in Las Vegas, and these 4 same guys go from LA to Vegas for these auctions, with the same auction company conducting auction. Just seems staged to me. Maybe not so much the actual bidding, but it seems they (the producers) are setting it up to make sure these 4 guys are going up against each other.

11. Trekker4747

Well, I guess that's the "price" you pay for having a reality show with a "cast." So it seems a bit "natural" for the same auction company and bidders to show up for remote auctions. The bidding part, what's in them, etc. isn't likely to be set-up (and IIUC, cannot be due to the rules/laws of reality shows of this nature) but yeah the where/when of the auctions certainly seems set-up.

12. gh4chiefs

Well it didn't seem that unusual for them to be at the same auctions when they were in the LA area, but clearly the production company set up these Vegas auctions. As for who bids what, I have no reason to suspect that's not real. I have to say I'm a little suspicious of the actual contents of the storage lockers though, but that's probably just paranoia on my part. I guess it's hard for me to believe people are going to let $17,000 of jewelry get away for the price of their storage unit rent.

13. Trekker4747

Hey, it could have been more contrived, they could've tried unloading their stuff at the pawn shop featured in "Pawn Stars."

;)

As for finding the cache of jewelery in the abandoned locker. It's Vegas. Shit happens, I guess.

I did like the bit at the very end showing all of them at the Blackjack table, seemingly, having a good time and enjoying each other's company. Sort of makes it look like "behind the scenes" they're on fairly friendly terms. Sort of like Worf's similar realization in the Klingon bar partying with his opposition in battle. ;)

14. gh4chiefs

Yeah that final scene just added to the contrived nature of the whole episode. More and more I'm wondering if this isn't fake from beginning to scratch. In this episode they had Jarrod (sp?) confronting Dave the asshole, and it felt like a planned moment.

This show definitely doesn't have the feel of a show like Deadliest Catch. Sure I know those guys mug for the camera and do shit that maybe they wouldn't do if the cameras weren't there, but at the end of the day, that show mostly feels authentic to me.

15. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I wonder when we'll see the rest of this? At the bottom of the screen, it showed "Day One" and they said something about it being either four or five days for the marathon, so there's going to be more of this, right?

16. gh4chiefs

Think about if you were a guy in Vegas who does these auction things for a living (or as a side job), and you've been doing this for awhile now, and all of sudden one day you go down to your auction and here this "production" is going on with these guys and their antics. That would have to be very annoying.

17. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

these people are too much of a "what people like to see on tv based on that formula they created in the 50's" for this show to not be scripted, I don't care too much about the characters, I'm more interested in what treasures they find

18. Nick086

Nick086 Captain Captain

In one video I replied to I kind of pissed off Dan the other day when he said the buyers are really good people. I replied back they look pretty shady and seedy to me. They look like the type of men if someone look at them the wrong way they would whip out a knife and gut them. I'm sure some of them are selling social security cards, old licenses, and birth certificate found in the storage lockers for a hundred bucks each. Its a pretty good show

19. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

I love Brandi. I don't think she's a bitch. I think she's a brilliant hottie who has held back because she's a rack and a pretty face, and her husband is a moron (go with your gut, dude, but your gut's WRONG!). It's been a trip watching her intelligence emerge from behind her tits.

She wouldn't come off as bitchy at all if she wasn't married to a moron. A man with the same intelligence as she actually has would make a great partner for her, and she'd have come into her own long ago.

20. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

QFT.

I did like how Brandon got back at Dave and Darrell, though. But Dave STILL came out on top. The man has luck; if he’s always had this kind of luck, it’s not so surprising he thinks it’s actually “skill” and he’s arrogant.