A Semi-Hater Revisits Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by TheGodBen, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Frazzled

Frazzled Commander Red Shirt

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

I really enjoyed this one, it had the right mix of suspense and predictability. And as startrekwatcher said the end was a good decision.

2. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Yikes I'm a bit behind now. :eek:

Well Blink of an Eye gets 4/5 as it's a nice concept that is told well. Apart from the Doc and his alternate life (and son!) down on the planet. Could have been an episode in itself really, but there you go.

Virtuoso was nice at the start, but the EMH was an overblown pompous idiot for too much in this episode. And throughout the overkill, the plot isn't much. 2/5

Memorial is brilliant. Not a classic or anything, as the show's message isn't very subtle - a hammer to the head would have been more apt. However, the use of perhaps the four worstly defined characters on the show in quite meaningul roles for a change is inspired. 4/5

3. Furtados_Feet

Furtados_Feet Lieutenant

Virtuoso certainly was breaking point for me and the Doctor, he was just plain annoying and stupid after that moment and I didn't like him anymore.
    The whole episode was just ludicrous, I wonder how Picardo felt about the Doctor's actions in that episode.

4. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tsunkatse (**)

I remember when this episode first aired there was a promo dedicated to how there was going to be an epic confrontation between Seven and The Rock. I had no idea who Mr Rock was and a friend had to explain to me that he was some sort of professional wrestler. When I saw the episode I thought to myself "Why didn't they play up that Weyoun and Martok were going to be in it rather than that stupid two minute fight scene with that dumb wrestler guy?"

J. G. Hertzler? Great, I'll watch that. :)

Jeffrey Combs? Excellent, I'll watch that three times! :D

The Rock? Do I have to watch that? :scream:

The episode is surprisingly alright in spite of all the boring wrestling bits. I think this episode follows on quite well from Memorial by giving smaller characters something to do even while the episode is focused on Seven. Chakotay, B'Elanna and Tuvok all have meaningful roles, Chakotay in particular works well as the guy in charge of the attempt to rescue Seven while Janeway is away. Chakotay's character is at his best right now than he has been since the beginning of season 4, I hope they can maintain this standard for his character.

This episode reminded me of DS9's By Inferno's Light, the scenes of Worf fighting the Jem'Hadar soldiers in the prison camp are very reminiscent to the Tsunkatse matches. Unfortunately the Worf fighting matches were the only thing I did not like about that two-parter and it was only made respectable by having the Jemmie refuse to kill Worf at the end. Since this episode is based around that concept entirely I completely lost interest in the Seven story. The Voyager-based story was good until the end when it devolved into "things get blowed up real good" mode.

Also, the episode is a rehash of The Gamesters of Triskelion, so I think this might be the first time I deduct points for stealing a plot from TOS rather than TNG. And on that subject, Memory Alpha had this to say about the episode:
    Whaaaaat? :wtf: I can understand the Wink of an Eye one because that wasn't a memorable episode, but Arena is one of the most famous TOS episodes, so much so that I knew it and its name long before I set out to watch TOS. How could almost the entire production staff on a Star Trek show not remember the time Kirk fought the Gorn?

5. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm one of the few round these parts who likes this episode. I particularly liked the conflict Seven faced. She's come a long way--to the point where she's afraid she'll lose her humanity by accepting her warrior spirit.

Great interaction between her and Tuvok, too. I wish we'd seen more of that.

6. Furtados_Feet

Furtados_Feet Lieutenant

It was a good episode despite the horrible promos.

7. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed - the two had several scenes back in Season 4, and, pardon the pun, they seem like a very logical pairing as friends. These two just work together very well. It seems like someone opted not to have scenes with these two that often because neither are emotional, so 'of course' it'd be boring, but it's actually detailing two viewpoints that are NOT human. That's what makes their scenes together work so well.

As for Tsunkatse as an episode... meh. I can take it or leave it.

8. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't remember much about Tsunkatse, but my chief complaint when I first saw the episode was that it should've been Tuvok, not Seven, fighting the Rock. After all, Tuvok was supposedly one of Trek's greatest fighters... he knew martial arts from about a dozen or more worlds! Bah.

9. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well put. Did Janeway ever listen to Chakotay? I think I've seen every episode and she dismisses him nearly 100% of the time.

10. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

I agree it should have been Tuvok.

As for Janeway dismissing Chakotay all the time I'm finding it hard to think of when she was dismissive (note, I said dismissive not disagreed with) but to each their own.

11. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Whoaaaa, you just lost me pal. Those scenes of Worf fighting the Jem Hadar are for me the most exciting and dynamic hand to hand scenes in all of Trek, except for some of the over the top fun fights from TOS.

12. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Well she did make Torres Chief Engineer thanks to Chakotay's suggestion and she elet Tuvok train the other Maquis so yeah she did listen to him from time to time.

13. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

"Blink Of An Eye" is actually one of the few seasons 4-7 episodes I enjoyed. Together with "Nemesis" and "Equinox" parts 1 and 2, they are episodes I can watch without getting that old "oh spare me from those dreadful seasons 4-7 episodes" attacks.

It's a good-written story with an interesting concept.

I'll give it 3 points out of 5.

14. TheGodBen

I'm just not interested in any of the hand-to-hand combat scenes, those sort of things never interested me. Large-scale combat such as the fighting in WOTW or To the Death was fine because that was in the context of a battle, but when it takes place between two competitors in a ring I'm just not interested.

I've got to keep my reputation as a real nerd intact. :)

15. TheGodBen

Collective (***½)

One thing this episode does fairly well is recover the Borg from how weak and stupid they seemed in Dark Frontier. Turning the Borg into a bunch of kids seems like a recipe for disaster, but the fact that five Borg kids are menacing and a match for Voyager makes the regular Borg seem even more powerful. I was pleasantly surprised by that.

The episode itself is fairly good, although Chakotay, Neelix and Paris all seem to get lost somewhere. After the last two episodes I was hoping the show was going to maintain the ensemble feel but this episode stays mainly focused on Seven and Janeway with a little Harry thrown in. The conflict between First and the rest of the Borg was a little too telegraphed, and his refusal to back down at the end was based in stupidity, but the other Borg worked well, particularly Icheb. The final ten minutes or so also falls into a generic fight sequence where Voyager wins with magic technobabble.

The Delta Flyer fires three torpedoes before they are captured.

Torpedoes: 64/38

16. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

^ Ah, but where's the baby?

17. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not the first occasion on which one has had cause to say this about Voyager... :vulcan:

18. TheGodBen

Oh don't worry, I'm sure we'll see the baby again. :) It's not like as if the writers would just forget about a baby as they did with the Equinox characters.

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I find this comment hilarious. :guffaw:

20. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The baby probably either died (possibly too young to be removed from it's borgy-ness) or they were able to track down the race it was taken from. I don't really see it as a big issue, they already had more kids than the story really needed. The twin boys were especially useless. In future episodes only Icheb really served any function. But yeah, a throwaway line to address it would have been nice.

The Equinox crew members had a lot more story possibilities attached to them (imo natch..) so I think the criticism for them being dropped down the turbolift and forgotten makes a lot more sense.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009