After BSG, B5, Firefly & Ds9... what's left?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Danoz, Oct 10, 2008.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Farscape!

2. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Is there anything interesting on the horizon? All these shows are either over, nearly over or not doing terribly well (Doctor Who excluded since it's sort of unique).

3. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

It's not anyone's Star Trek. Farscape fans sound like Tottenham Hotspur fans sometimes - always defining themselves by what their more successful neighbours do.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think Farscape is awesome. I never compare it to other things because I consider it unique.

5. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

Doctor Who, if you can stomach a few really shit episodes now and again. When it's good, it's fried gold - when it's bad, it's utterly laughable.

Jim, HUGE Doctor Who fan

6. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I've seen Farscape described the way Neroon just did too many times. "It's Star Trek for the 90's (or 2000s)!", "It's a grown up Star Trek!" blah blah blah.

Star Trek was Star Trek for the 90's and the 2000's and if you want "grown up" Star Trek then watch Deep Space 9.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Farscape is nothing like Star Trek. I don't even know how you could pretend to make the connection.

If Farscape is like anything...it's like Lexx...and I try to pretend that that show never existed.

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

It's not me making the connection, it's the endless hype I had to put up with from the likes of SFX magazine back when it was still on the air.

So do I.

9. Deckerd

Farscape is just a show, like all the others. Why different shows cause so much passion has always been a mystery to me.

10. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

If you like Ira Steven Behr's work, you might want to try out The 4400.

11. Chris227

Chris227 Lieutenant Commander

There's quite a few good anime sci-fi franchises. Gundam's already been mentioned, here's a few more:

Macross/Robotech-A transforming alien ship commandeered by humans stands against a force of giant aliens, and they use transforming fighter planes and music to stop them. Sounds corny, but it is actually well executed. Macross is the original Japanese series and has spawned multiple sequels, some of which are available in the US while some aren't. Robotech, which was a translated form of Macross in the 80s, was melded with two other anime series and given a seperate continuity of sorts. It's complicated :)

Neon Genesis Evangelion-Apocalyptic series which revolutionized the mecha genre. Mentally unstable pilots battle mysterious 'angels'-bizzare monsters-who threathen Tokyo, but there's a lot more going on than meets the eye.

Cowboy Bebop-Or, if giant robots aren't your thing, there's this, a series which possibly influenced Firefly.

12. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

If you like Firefly, there's a better-than-even chance you'll like Buffy & Angel as well.....especially the latter. I know those of a more SF persuasion tend to have an instinctual aversion to these two for some reason, but if you give them a fair shot I think you'll find they're pretty good. They have all the same strengths as Firefly, except with monsters and magic rather than spaceships and horses.

Now, personally I watched Angel first, and then went back to Buffy. That's doable. However, you'll probably get more out of both of them if you begin with Buffy and then transition to Angel when that show spins off.

13. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

The remake of Survivors that's starting on BBC One soon, Charlie Booker's Dead Set starting on E4 soon, The Prisoner remake on ITV next year, Blake's 7 2 parter Sky One are doing and Clone and Being Human coming up on BBC Three, have all piqued my interest.
    Dollhouse and a couple of other American shows look like they could be interesting, but none of their names are springing to mind at the minute.

14. Deckerd

Are Sky planning to do any more Terry Pratchett stuff?

15. Jim Steele

Yup, the next one is The Truth apparently. I think.

16. Bob The Skutter

Yeah, Going Postal is next. David Jason isn't available so no more Rincewind ones for a couple of years.

17. Jim Steele

Fuck sake, how did I get them mixed up.

18. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Every franchise has its over-the-top phase and fans that get on others' nerves - including DS9. ;)

Star Trek was and probably still is THE franchise that represents science fiction to the general public. This isn't a matter of riding on the coattails of another show, so much as it's putting one show in terms commonly known by others. My "phraseology" was also a play on words with a well-known ad campaign in the States for Oldsmobile a little while back. The point not being a question of maturity, but rather one of a different generation. It was just a light-hearted way to post in this thread and nothing else. :lol:

19. Bob The Skutter

After I read your post I had to go look it up, to make sure I was right. :lol:

20. Deckerd

He was on BBC Breakfast the other day. He seems to have a season ticket on BBC current affairs just now. They're using him while they still can.