How much have the TNG theatrical events grossed?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by DostoyevskyClone, Apr 23, 2013.

1. DostoyevskyClone

DostoyevskyClone Captain Captain

I've been trying to find out but haven't had any luck. Are they making a lot of money off of these events? There has to be some cost involved in getting the film out to the theaters, etc., so I'd be curious what the final profit was.

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think he was talking about the Fathom events (Seasons 1, 2 and this week for the Best of Both Worlds thing). I too would like to know how they are doing. When I went for season 2, the theater wasn't sold out, but there were quite a lot of people in there.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Ah, my mistake.

5. EnsignRedshirt

EnsignRedshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I hope well enough that they'll keep doing them. Best of Both Worlds was my first one, and I kept thinking how cool it would be if "All Good Things..." got the same treatment.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

The don't send any film or hard drives out to theaters if that's what you mean. It's sent to theaters by a satellite feed.

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same here. The season 1 and 2 episodes just didn't inspire me to go see them. This one was definitely worth it though!

Definitely agree with you that All Good Things needs this treatment! Beyond that, I'm on a wait and see basis for seasons 4, 5 and 6.

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Profit is likely a concern (maybe Paramount is run by Ferengi), but it's also worth it to them in customer goodwill.

9. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Its also a way to get people to pay for what amounts to commercials for the blu ray releases the week before the release. Ya go, ya buy your ticket, and ya think, "Damn, that looks awesome! I want to see more!" and then ya buy the box set on the followin' Tuesday.

If I could afford 'em, I'd have upgraded to the blu rays by now...

10. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I bet BoBW made a buttload of cash. When I went last night it was to a full theater and I see from the thread here as well as with my friends on Facebook that it was a full house round the country. BoBW was an offer than no Trek fan could refuse I guess. :D

11. DostoyevskyClone

DostoyevskyClone Captain Captain

The follow-up question then is this: what are they planning to do with these profits? The Blu-ray project for TNG seems to be sailing along smoothly, though, from what I've read, Blu-ray for DS9 and Voyager is no sure thing.

I would hope these profits are being put aside to help support these two series. It doesn't seem like the TNG Blu-ray project would need these added revenues, so what else could they use it for?

12. Andymator

Andymator Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm pretty sure they use those profits for... profit? The entire reason they're doing any of this is to make money. They paid for TNG to be remastered because they thought it would be a profitable endeavour, through blu-ray sales/theatrical events/new HD tv licensing deals/streaming distributors whatever etc.

13. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

I'd like to go, but at my local theater, it was 13.50 a ticket, which is even more than they charge for a regular new release film. How much was it at your local theater, y'all?

14. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

You would need to find out the number of screens it was shown on and its only one showing. Last weeks top movie made $461 dollars per showing but there was 80,000 showings - resulting in $37 Million dollars.

Assuming say 300 theatres showed the event, 300 x $461 = $138,300

Very rough and 98% chance of being wrong but its a start? :p

15. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Same. Well worth it for the experience though.l

16. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Every dollar I pay, I hope it it goes into the DS9 Remastered fund. :)

I missed the season 1 screening, but I caught the last two, and I will go to the other four (assuming they do one for each season - they'd be stupid not to).

17. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We didn't get the Season Two screening here in Canada, but we did get the Season Three one and it at least was in a bigger theatre, but it was by no means full.

18. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

It was $12.50 here, which is $2.50 more than a regular show price.

But it is a one-night only special event.

And mine was free, since I'm friends with a girl who works in the theater I went to...she hooked me up with a guest pass.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Yes, it's a little expensive. But it is worth it for those that really like TNG, and want to see certain episodes on the big screen. :)

20. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah... this firmly reminded me why I haven't been to a movie theater in about two years. Can't get in under twenty bucks a person these days. I'm not sorry I did it this time though.