DS9 - Where to start?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by theblitz, Jun 20, 2012.

1. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Here's the thing about Kindles...

The Kindles were using Mobipocket as their main format and that format is obsolete and just plain is almost worthless. Now, Amazon decided to come out with a new format called KF8. This is similar to ePub. The eink readers that support KF8 are the Kindle with no touch and no keyboard and the Kindle Touch. But both of these have a very serious bug and the reading experience is not all that good. The bug is that the line height is too big and using line-height in the CSS to try to fix this doesn't work as they ignore line-height.

The ePub have been formatted pretty well. Better then the Mobipocket editions. Now the KF8 can look similar to the ePub, but not really because of the line height bug. So reading Star Trek on a Kindle is not optimal because if you have one of the Kindles that support KF8, when you download a recent Trek eBook you will get the KF8 version and it won't look all that nice. So the solution is to get a reader that supports ePub via ADE and you will be able to get the full enjoyment out of Star trek eBooks. I have a Sony reader PRS-650 and the PRS-T1 (current model) is very nice.

And with ePub, you are not limited to Amazon.

2. theblitz

theblitz Commander Red Shirt

I am using Kindle on Android.

It works ok on my Samsung P1000 but won't even load on my Xperia X10.

I wrote then a nasty review on the Amazon site about the Kindle version of "Stitch in Time". I noticed I wasn't the only one.

3. tmclough

tmclough Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Then how do you explain that whenever I try to read a ST ePub using ADE on my ebook reader (Astak EZReader Pocket Pro) and try to enlarge the font size, it also enlarges the margins, to such a degree that eventually there are more margins than actual text?

[ETA]My point being, ePub is as perfect as you like to claim it is.[/ETA]

My solution, BTW, is to strip the DRM and use the CoolReader software that comes with the firmware.

4. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The barns and noble nook tablet is a better choice and all of ds9,tng,sce, mirrror and voyager are aviable through the nook book store. And are easy to get.

And if like kirk and spock about 95% of the books are aviable including the vanguard series as well as alll the mini series.

5. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

The answer is very simple. The firmware you are using in your Astak EZReader Pocket Pro has a bug. To be honest, it's time for an upgrade. That's a rather serious bug and since Astak is no longer making readers or supporting them, you'll never get it fixed.

6. tmclough

Actually, it's a bug in the ebooks--they have margins measured in ems, so whenever you expand the font size, you expand the size of an em, hence you expand the margins. ADE is just following orders.

Also, because most, if not all, of the software (except ADE) in the Astak firmware is open source, there will always be updates/alternatives to the firmware by independent parties, as long as such parties are interested.

If I were to get a new ebook reader, where can I find one that A) reads epubs; B) doesn't have wireless capabilities; C) doesn't have touch screen (i.e., uses tactile buttons); D) doesn't require proprietary software to copy books to the device or update its firmware; E) is available in the US? I have yet to find such a device, or at least one still in production.

7. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I understand why most of those are important, but why is wireless a no-no? You can always leave it disabled...

8. tmclough

I suppose that isn't as important, as long as it is always disabled, and no need to register it with the tied-in bookstore; and, ideally, no need to use wireless to upgrade the firmware (instead, just download on your PC, copy it over, and do whatever button routine it takes).

9. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Why so adverse to wireless?

10. tmclough

Part of it is there is usually (always?) an bookstore tied directly to the device. I know you can buy ebooks from other sources, especially if the reader does ePubs, but I'd rather not have any such direct connection to such a store. Mainly it's the principle of the matter, but it also makes it harder to accidentally buy more books than I can read (not having a tied-in bookstore, that is).

Also, with wireless capabilities often comes (somewhat limited) Internet access, which means being tempted to surf the web rather than read a book, which I do too much of anyway. (On my Nintedo DSi XL, and before that DSi, I spend more time using the browser than any of the many games I own.)

11. theblitz

Back to the original topic:
    I started to read Gateways: Demons ....
    I was wondering about it being book 4 of 7.
    Doesn't that mean I should have read books 1-3 first?

12. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope. All six of the main books are six separate crews dealing with six separate parts of the big overarching story. Apart from the big mass holodeck scene, they barely cross over at all. If you're only following the DS9 stories, the TNG entry is not vital. Yes, it's the one that most directly addresses the actual problem facing the galaxy, but that's not really the most interesting part of the whole thing anyway. All you need to know from the TNG book is basically - "Don't worry, Picard's on it."

As for book seven, well that's different. It's a short story collection that brings together the codas from the six main books. The DS9 portion of that is fairly necessary, but I suppose if you really really had to, you could skip it, at least plot-wise, espcially if you don't give a toss about the other five. Character-wise though, it's very much worth it.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Ideally one should get the Twist of Faith omnibus trade paperback, which incorporates Avatar Books 1 & 2, Abyss, Demons of Air and Darkness, and "Horn and Ivory" in a single volume.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

How it worked out was the novels all ended on a kinda cliffhanger that was then continued on in the last book's stories. Most of them are fairly separate stories, but they all pick up from the cliffhangers and build off of the novels.

15. theblitz

So, I have read the first 3 books of Mission Gamma and am waiting for number 4 to arrive.
    Is it "safe" to read The Lives of Dax, Rising Son or Left Hand of Destiny before reading number 4?
    I don't want one to ruin the plot from a previous one.

16. MiKaTrek

MiKaTrek Ensign Newbie

17. theblitz

So, I have now finished all the books up to and including Soul Key. That includes the 4 Mirror Universe books that lead into Warpath.
    Still waiting for "Rise Like Lions".

I was wondering if the Ascendants appear in further books or did the story line just die there?

18. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Going forwards, there's not much more. By the time we get to the Typhon Pact books (specifically DRG3's Rough Beasts and Plagues), small references make it clear that the Ascendant conflict is over by then - it happened in the gap.

However, another book by DRG3, the TOS novel Allegiance in Exile, gives a snapshot of a Bajoran colony and its mysterious attackers in the TOS era.

19. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Most of us are still waiting and hoping for that story to be told.

20. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I forget who it was, but someone else on this board I remember summed the Ascendants storyline, and what Pocket's done, like this: "Something really, really cool happened and it was so big....but we're not going to tell you what it was! It was really, really, cool, but you are just going to have to trust us!"