Here it is - no bloody "A", "B" "C" or "D"

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, there is something about it that reminds me of the Ambassador class.

2. JBElliott

JBElliott Commander Red Shirt

The top one.

3. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I like it! Looks very sleek and sweet, very 23rd century IMO. Looking forward to this new movie, the more and more I see the more and more I am looking forward to it and very excited.

4. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So do you now consider it part of your own personal CANN-ON!!11!11! then?

5. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anyone notice the end of the registry number at the bottom of the secondary hull just behind the main deflector? Interesting design, not sure I like it yet if this is the real McCoy. (had to go there!!:evil:)

6. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

I actually like the nacelles...and I really don't like the secondary hull. It just "feels" very back heavy. With the way that the neck is centered over that ridiculously long cutout, it looks like it's about to tip over backward.

7. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

I think there's something missing from the nacelles. In the production art I saw today, the nacelles caps were lit, like TOS. Maybe it only does this while at warp.

I also saw some art of those fins on the rear of the nacelles that showed them open slightly and blue energy coming out. I wonder if that will make it in the movie.

8. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

While a few of the choices for detailing don't quite sit right with me, the only real complaint I have is the choice to push the secondary hull forward, which makes the deflector area jut out past the neck in an odd way, and forces the nacelle struts too far back. Overall I like it, but as said above, I don't love it.

9. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

BLUE WARP NACELLES! :techman::drool:

The thread was a premonition in the making.:guffaw:

10. casey

casey Commander Red Shirt

Okay, thinking about it, if this was supposed to be the Enterprise F for a new post Nemesis movie I would be absolutely thrilled and love it, nacelles and all.

11. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow. Just....wow. I can't tell if I love it or hate it. It is very, very Galaxy Quest, though. Would fit right in next to the NSEA Avenger.

A few observations:

--It looks like the funny curved ridge on the inside (and outsides!) of the nacelles that people saw in the trailers but wrote off as scaffolding for the construction actually is part of the hip

--That neck is very long...look at how far back it intersects the secondary hull.

--It definitely owes a debt both to the TMP refit, the Koernerpise and, as I said, Galaxy Quest. Not seeing much TOS influence on it, though.

--Judging by the size of the windows and docking ports, this is about the same scale as the original and refit ships.

--IT HAS A DISH! The deflector is an actual, has-a-tiny-needle-in-the-middle dish. :D With blue lights, apparently.

I wish it had a few direct nods to the original '60s version, like it does to the TMP refit, but all in all, it's pretty cool.

12. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

That is my feeling as well...push the secondary hull back, and its golden.

13. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Put a sombrero on that and I'd fuck it.

14. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

The primary hull is ok. The nacelles... meh. The secondary hull is fucking awful. Push the goddamn thing back and widen it out.

Definately another form over function hollywood design. Too bad.

15. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

Maybe it looks better from another angle? :confused:

16. Tyberius

Tyberius Commander Red Shirt

She is wide of beam and full of sail. Nothing wrong with that.

17. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Funny thing is, I look at that and see her much more easily refit into the TMP Enterprise then the TOS ship was refit into the TMP Enterprise.

18. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks like someone already has. You can guess who by his m.o. :p

[​IMG]

19. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

This just in: Val Kilmer has been cast as the Enterprise computer voice. :p

20. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

I can see what they were going for, and where the specific influences came from.

One influence that looks the the back half of the secondary hull, and the way it seems to merge with the warp engine support pylons, makes it look directly connected to the Galaxy Class design aesthetic.

It may just take some getting used to. I remember when I first saw the saw the Enterprise-D, and thought it looked like "melted art-deco", but I grew to love it.

Maybe this picture is just a bad angle of the ship.

Though to a degree we should be thankful - Just imagine the uproar if we would have gotten the Ralph Mcquarrie Enterprise proposal back in the 70's
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.