Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

...and MacRumours are very good at guessing what's coming...

2. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

For Apple, I'm sure that has a lot more to do with the innovativeness behind their products rather than the secretiveness!

Mr Awe

3. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

That certainly used to be the case. Yet things are different now and the strategy still works.

4. Mr Awe

^ So, you're telling me that people buy Apple products now because of the secrecy? Surely it's more because they actually like Apple products!

Sure, there is some intrigue over what they'll release next. But, the secrecy isn't why people plunk down their hard-earned cash. Ultimately, they have to like the products that are released!

We digress a bit . . .

5. The Mirrorball Man

We do not. ;) I think that, whether we're talking about Apple or Doctor Who, it's rather more complicated than "people buy things because they like them", and yes, the secrecy helps a great deal.

6. Mr Awe

^ Agreed, that we're not actually off-topic!

Secrecy can help raise interest in something to an extent. But, ultimately, if people don't like the product, Apple, Doctor Who, or otherwise, the interest falls.

At some point, the secrecy has to fall and the product has to stand on its own.

Secrecy about a product that consumers don't like isn't going to grab their attention! In that case, it's out of sight, out of mind!

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I've been picking up Who DVDs for years, when I find them cheap.

I've been hugely interested in the whole lost episode thing - it's fascinating what theyve found and the speculation is a big part of it.

I'll still be buying them when I find them cheap...

8. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Ditto - I've still only got about half of them anyway...

9. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I would think that the reason behind Apple's secrecy is that they're afraid that people might not buy their current products if they know that there's new, better version coming out soon.

The same doesn't really apply for Doctor Who. I'm not going to not buy "Terror of the Zygons" just because they've announced that "The Enemy of the World" is also available.

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

That old omnirumour still won't die...
    http://doctorwhoarchive.com/2013/10/28/latest-missing-episodes-rumours/

Now, I'll grant you that I've been told about Marco Polo since last november, and I've had it from multiple sources that it'll be announced on the 23rd, but the rest of it... Sorry, still not believing, especially when you've got, for example, this article claiming both that Power has and has not been recovered depending on which paragraph you read...

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

We can but hope.

And you can't really say the article is wrong. Power either has or hasn't been recovered...

12. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

From the context (since the following paragraph lists what has been recovered), I think the second "Power" is a typo for "Evil."

13. The Mirrorball Man

It usually is.

14. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

No, it wouldn't say "conversely" if the second "Power" were a typo. The article is a list of every rumor the site has heard, even the contradictory ones. They're not claiming that all, or any, of it is actually true.

15. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'll willing (and hoping) to believe the Marco Polo rumor but I seriously doubt (but love to be proven wrong) the rest of it.

16. Mr Awe

The BBC should announce what they've found, for crying out loud. They can release any finds whenever they're ready. But, by not stating anything definitive, it's just creates rampant speculation that's likely to lead to dissappointment.

Of interest is the implication that Morris will only return the stories to the BBC if he gets paid enough.

Mr Awe

17. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

:lol: Well done.

18. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ummh... take out the mention of 10th Planet and the contradictory mentions of Power, and it's almost credible, as (once you think it through) it says they've got back all the episodes where copies were sent overseas and the BBC was never sent confirmation of their destruction (as with Time Meddler, War Machines, Enemy and Web).
    Key word: ALL. For most of those episodes, there's only one untraced copy. And those copies were sold to different countries from season to season.
    I could believe in one country, maybe two, having kept their copies for 40 years, but all three (four if you add in the Nigeria finds)? That's not just a lottery win, it's a six number lottery win.
    Still... the Marco, Massacre, Macra rumour is the one I've been getting from reasonably reliable sources (who seem more reliable now that stage one has proved pretty much right). And that would almost certainly mean recoveries from three countries, so...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  19. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Bumping this up since we're supposedly a week out now from the announcement of Marco Polo. Here's where things currently stand on the omnirumor front:

- Restoration of Marco Polo running behind, may not be released until December/January.
    - The next two episodes to be announced/released after The Massacre/The Macra Terror will be The Celestial Toymaker and The Faceless Ones.
    - The Power of the Daleks will be released near the end of next year.
    - Private collectors are starting to cash in on the Morris find. The Daleks' Master Plan parts 4 (Katarina dies), 7 (Yes, the infamous Feast of Steven), 11 & 12 (Sara Kingdom dies) have been turned in. 11 & 12 may not be salvageable, the film prints have stuck together and need to be frozen to be separated.
    - The Space Pirates part 3 has also been turned in from a private collector.
    - At least 3 parts of The Wheel in Space has been found in Nigeria by Morris, and he is negotiating to get them to the UK.
    - The Web of Fear part 3 does exist, and will be restored and ready in time for the DVD release.
    - The Tenth Planet part 4 also exists, and will be released when ready.

Assuming that all of the above is true, that leaves Mission to the Unknown, Parts 1,3,6,8-9 of The Daleks' Master Plan, one part of The Wheel in Space, Parts 1 & 4 of The Invasion (animated), Parts 2-3 of The Ice Warriors (animated) and Parts 1, 4-6 of The Space Pirates still missing.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I'm still trying to be skeptical, but some of those details are so specific (like the film prints stuck together) that it's hard to believe they could've just been made up. Still, if all these have been found, why not tell us?