La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Yeah, and it's not just the TAS stuff I want, but the music from later Filmation shows like Space Academy/Jason of Star Command, and particularly the gorgeous music from Flash Gordon, Blackstar, The Lone Ranger, and Zorro, which was in a classic vintage-movie style. Although I realize that the market for that music must be very, very tiny, so I doubt there'd ever be a box set.

2. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Perhaps Filmation soundtracks would generate attention/interest if a company started off with the biggest, most visible brand Filmation ever used: DC Comics. The primary audience would be in North America, where DC--in comics, cartoons and films--is as recognized as Washington's face on the dollar.

Once DC scores broke ground, I think you would see a vocal demand for more filmation music--like TAS, or the live action shows (ex. Shazam, Isis, Ark II, etc.)

3. TREK_GOD_1

Much information here. Thanks.

Wellll....just to be clear, would fight music from "The Omega Glory" (when Kirk unties himself in the room) which seems to be a rearranged version of the Kirk v. Mitchell track from "Where No Man Has Gone Before," find its way on the box set?

For that matter, i'm guessing the WNMHGB fight music is included?

I recall that was not a part of GNP's TOS pilot album...huge disappointment back in the day.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  4. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If they were created editorially, no.

If they were specifically created, then yes.

5. OneBuckFilms

If not, then the pieces exist to recreate it if you wish.

I suspect it was tracked.

6. Christopher

I don't recall any re-recordings of pilot music in the second season. However, IIRC, Fred Steiner's "Mirror, Mirror" score did feature a new arrangement/variation of the Kirk/Mitchell fight music, and that cue was used several times throughout season 2, so that may be what you're referring to. So it would probably be included in the "Mirror, Mirror" score.

The last few minutes of the WNM score were left off that album for reasons of length, because LPs could hold less than 2/3 as much music as a CD. I don't think any of the episode scores originally released on LP were unabridged, except maybe for "The Cage." But this set is 15 CDs, roomy enough that they can include extra bits like library tracks and alternates, so it's safe to say that nothing from the actual episode scores will be left out for lack of room.

7. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

The set could be sold in a big cardboard tube, like the classic talking viewmaster set of the time that features so many of those great images ;)

8. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank you for enlightening me unintentionally - that earlier seasons' music was rerecorded. I knew I heard earlier music in later seasons, but I had read on this bbs that union rules said music had to be new each season. Now I know how both things can be true, earlier music rerecorded. Seems inefficient, though.

9. Christopher

It's inefficient for the production, but it's not for the production's benefit, it's for the musicians', so they can stay gainfully employed. From a musician's standpoint, not getting work at all is what's inefficient.

10. OneBuckFilms

Welcome to the world of unions. :)

11. TREK_GOD_1

Thank you! That's the cue! I thought it was an interesting take on the original piece.

12. Christopher

It occurs to me that the track listings are going to need a lot of those little asterisks that are used to indicate when a cue by one composer incorporates a motif by a different composer. Every TOS composer (except Samuel Matlovsky, I think) used Courage's main title theme, usually the fanfare portion, so there are going to be a ton of asterisks for that alone. Steiner also paraphrased Courage's "Where No Man" motif in "Mirror, Mirror." And George Duning borrowed Steiner's Romulan/Terran Empire motif for Henoch in "Return to Tomorrow," and used a 10-note phrase from one of Gerald Fried's "Amok Time" cues as a recurring Spock theme in several episodes -- then borrowed even more of that cue for the point in "The Empath" when McCoy drugs Spock unconscious. So that's at least three composers' work that was quoted/paraphrased by different composers.

13. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

No he didn't. All will be revealed in time.

Neil

14. Christopher

^Ahh, so that's one of the library cues you've been hinting at?

And why so coy? Is there a reason for postponing the release of the track list?

15. OneBuckFilms

Salesmanship. ;)

16. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the suspense.

17. Indysolo

Until the track list is released, I'll never give a specific detail. I'm sure you can appreciate that. I'll answer as best as I can.

Neil

18. OneBuckFilms

When can we expect a track listing? ;)

19. Indysolo

I have no idea.

Neil

20. OneBuckFilms

I had to ask. :)