Is a Hollywood liberal conspiracy keeping 'Red Dawn' from release?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dusty Ayres, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Here are the official trailers for the movie of Tomorrow: When The War Began;

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6pRS8BorZE&feature=related[/yt] (Teaser)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwABuCZYFVA&feature=related[/yt] (Official)

2. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Cheers. Is it my imagination or were those trailers almost exactly the same? :lol:

The film appears to have a somewhat larger budget than I expected, although I saw nothing else in there to raise my low expectations.

I notice that there's nothing in the trailers suggesting that the film compromises the ambiguity of the novels re: the identity of the invaders. There are only a handful of even vaguely plausible candidates - China, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, India - but I always liked that about the novels. From the perspective of the characters, it's simply irrelevant.

3. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

That's stretching pretty far.

4. Teelie

Teelie Vice Admiral Admiral

If you dig deep enough, you can find an explanation to fit your needs for anything.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Which is why Occam's Razor is superior to a steam-shovel.

6. Teelie

Teelie Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it cuts right to the truth. This built up conspiracy of liberals keeping down Red Dawn is overly complicated and rightly something out of Hollywood.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I just wish they had the money to release the original on Blu-Ray. Watched it the other day and still found it to be an entertaining film.

8. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

If the Red Dawn film was released and turned out to be a flop would it then be blamed on liberal media bias or some other shit (something the Jerry Bruckheimer has done when Blackhawk Down wasn't a big as it could of been).

9. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

This is the James Bond series we're talking about here, right? "Scientific plausibility" and "James Bond film" don't belong in the same paragraph, much less the same sentence. :lol:

As for the ramblings of the Tinfoil Hat Brigade quoted in the OP, if MGM was really trying to keep Red Dawn down, you'd think they could afford to forge ahead with The Hobbit and Bond 23. Instead, the former is searching for a new director, and the latter is on hiatus until the dust settles.

MGM is broke. End of story. Occam's Razor wins again.

10. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Because liberals, of course, absolutely hate films about American troops.

11. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

QoS had a strange political message. On one hand, it was subtly critical of the Bush administration, but at the same time had a slight anti-environmentalist message. It was probably more unintentional than anything else.

12. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So an official trailer for Red Dawn is out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoqlBHSePw0

To not piss off the Chinese and to make the movie more marketable in China the villains are no longer Chinese movies with some North Korean involvement (Like how Cuba joined up with the Soviets in the original)... It is now North Korea being the actual invaders.

Because North Korea taking over substantial sections of the US mainland is completely plausible. To explain it they have some kind of uber-EMP weapon. They used computer graphics to change Chinese flags into North Korean type flags. I guess it's too much work to add the 'stripes' to the border of the NK flag so they basically just cut and paste the North Korean style star onto where the Chinese star would be on the flags.

I'm assuming any Chinese spoken is now Korean and any Chinese characters are now North Korean... but since Hollywood just views any Asian as acceptable for any Asian country specific part it doesn't really matter.

Ironically the main 'villain' in this is the leader of the Chinese occupying force in that area and he was being played by a Korean-American actor. So changing it to North Korea actually gets the ethnicity right lol.

13. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Looks like MLB's comment wasn't so dumb after all. :lol:

Fucking North Korea? Why not just make them Space Commies instead to be more realistic?

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

This isn't the only case of Hollywood changing a movie to not piss off the Chinese. the Chinese government will not allow movies to be shown in China that depict Chinese as villains. Ever. Which is very Orwellian of them an ironically is the kind of thing villains would do. :D

But turning them into North Koreans is just gong from implausible to ridiculous. Audiences are going to laugh at this movie. maybe it can work as a comedy.

15. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Um, no, I saw the trailer for it in Bourne Legacy...

16. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

^^
    The thread's two years old, it was just necroed now.

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

To be fair, the movie still hasn't opened . . . .

18. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Well, the original movie wasn't exactly plausible, either. I find both scenarios (China invading and NK invading) equally ridiculous. Considering the economic ties China has with the West and the US and NK's government's crazyness, I tend to think North Korea trying something like that is actually a tad more plausible. :lol:

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The basic thought (let's not piss off China) wasn't dumb. Of course the studios don't want to upset the Chinese. That's a huge box office market, and they'd be stupid not to take advantage of it.

What was dumb was the paranoid handwringing. The movie was delayed for so long because MGM had been going through bankruptcy issues, nothing more. It's the same reason why Skyfall has taken so long to get made. At some point during the delay, either MGM or the people actually working on the movie realized "Hey, why throw away all that potential Chinese revenue over a dumb, silly action movie?" So they took advantage of the delay by altering the movie in post-production to make the Chinese invaders North Koreans.

Is it stupid and implausible? Sure, but the Chinese actually invading the United States was pretty implausible, too. Not just because they simply can't do it (yet), but because the two countries have far too many economic entanglements to risk going to war. The US owes China boatloads of cash. Why throw all that away over a dumb, silly war?

20. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

is there enough gold in Fort Knox so they can steal it back? or the better question. Is there any gold there?