Fresh Off The Boat

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Tom Hendricks, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

A new comedy, Fresh off the Boat to hit ABC in early 2015.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KhRKkLS_4I[/yt]

Here are seven reasons to give this hilarious new show a chance:

1. Culture shock

It has been 20 years since Margaret Cho’s “All-American Girl” was canceled after only 19 episodes. Since that time, there has not been a single American sitcom based around an Asian-American character or family. For a demographic that represents a significant and growing fraction of the country, some mainstream representation is long overdue. The fact that it comes in the form of this smart and truly funny show means “Fresh Off the Boat” deserves to be a hit.

2. Eddie Huang

Fans may already know Eddie Huang, the real-life celebrity chef on which the show is based, from his culinary career. Huang hosted “Unique Eats” on the cooking channel and now hosts a segment for media company Vice that shares its “Fresh Off the Boat” title with the new ABC comedy. Huang is also outspoken about his love for hip-hop culture and recreational drugs. His hilarious memoir was well received, and a show based on the childhood of a guy this interesting should make for good television.

3. Randall Park

On a show largely made up of unknowns, Park is the closest thing “Fresh Off the Boat” has to star power. Fans may recognize him for some notable guest starring roles, including Julia Louis-Dreyfus’s rival in HBO’s “Veep,” Danny Chung, and "The Mindy Project." He has also appeared in a handful of films including “Sex Tape,” and “The Interview” (playing Kim Jong Un). Park has earned a shot at the spotlight.

4. Young blood

It is not often that a sitcom is carried by a child actor, and although “Fresh Off the Boat” will clearly lean heavily on its adult characters for much of the comedy, this show (unlike shows such as “Modern Family,” which heavily feature child actors as well) is Eddie’s story. It should be a fun ride watching the young Hudson Yang take on that challenge.

5. Constance Wu

The big surprise of the “Fresh Off the Boat” trailer (below) is the hilarious performance of Constance Wu, who plays Eddie’s mom. A relative unknown, Wu steals the show in the trailer, whether screaming at customers at the family’s restaurant to drink more beer or questioning what a flashy suburban grocery store “is so excited for.”

6. '90s hip-hop references

Who doesn’t love 1990s hip-hop? Eddie, the show’s main character certainly does and between him and the show’s time period, expect tons of references and music from your favorite '90s rappers from Notorious B.I.G. to Dr. Dre.

7. It’s just funny

If that trailer does not convince you to tune in to the show, not much else will. The three-minute promo puts the show’s unique take on American life on display, while never ceasing to get laughs. The show might be the most original and hilarious network family comedy since “Modern Family” and seems primed to be another hit for ABC.

Could this be the next Black-ish?

2. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched the trailer but it didn't make me laugh. I watched a few episodes of Modern Family and didn't like it so maybe I'm immune to that type of humor.

3. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I certainly didn't laugh. And I will not watch this kinda-sorta-Everyone-Hates-Chris rip, be it on general principle or general lack of comedy in the clip. I didn't think for a second that the whole "we just moved from DC" thing that was constantly repeated in this trailer was NOT a proxy for "we just moved from somewhere in Asia", and I'm sure that the real critics will instantly point this out as well.

No, I'm not good with racial humour of any kind, be it this or the even MORE stereotypical standup that highlights differences between [insert minority here] and white people in North America. The world we live in isn't perfect, and IMSHO this ain't helping any. ABC cancels "Selfie", and they think THIS will fare any better?

Dear every white North American: When you're done not watching this show, come hang out with me for a drink. I promise it'll be a better time.

Mark

4. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

This really doesn't look funny to me at all, nor does it appear charming, insightful, intelligent,etc, etc. There's nothing new here, or even mildly interesting.

I don't think I even *smiled* once during that whole thing.

5. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I'm curious about this show, but it does have to bring its 'A game' if it wants to stay on past the first season.

Obviously, it has to talk about 'race' in regards to Asians and Asian Americans opposite black people, white people, etc...and how Asian Americans are perceived in America in general and in the media. And, it will obviously tread the same ground as "Everybody Hates Chris" (where FOTB takes its inspiration from) where the young protagonist falls in love, presumably with a girl who is not Asian, and has to deal with staying true to his roots.

6. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

I read the book and wasn't impressed enough to give the show a look.