If/when DS9 is released on Blu-ray...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DS9forever, Sep 9, 2013.

1. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Wouldn't it be neat if there was a documentary/featurette about the DS9 novels? Would any of the authors be interested in taking part? I found a comment by Ira Behr from around a decade ago in which he says the DS9 novels are the future of DS9 itself, making the DS9 novels more notable than others.

2. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I second this! Anything that brings the novels into greater awareness by Trek fans is very welcome.

3. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A special feature on the "Afterlife" of the various shows in different media is a pretty good idea, perhaps even talking about the various influences different books have had on filmed Trek. Perhaps akin to the various docs looking at the books comics and audios on the Doctor Who DVD's?

The current releases do have a little bit of that sort of stuff (IIRC Greg Cox talks about his Khan novels on the WoK special edition), but there's certainly room for more of that sort of thing. Maybe on one of the Enterprise sets as that show featured writers who had made the move from the novels in the Reevee-Stevens gestalt?

4. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Sounds like a great idea to me. I hope to see something like this come about. :techman:

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt it would happen, but it would be awesome if it did.

6. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Babylon 5 DVDs also did this, in the Season 5 boxed set -- JMS and some of the authors discussed the various novels and short stories, and how they were largely as canonical as the actual TV episodes. This was a good call on the DVD producers' part, and served to reinforce that universe's relationship with its tie-in product (although ST doesn't treat its offshoot fiction as canonical).

About the only thing they missed out on was the opportunity to include coupons or cross-promotional materials in the DVD sets advertising the existence of the novels before then, since the entire Del Rey run was still in print at that time.

7. Mimi

Mimi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would love to see this. And, I believe there are at least a few writers with credits during the show's run? I believe David Mack wrote two episodes. And then, there's also Andrew Robinson who wrote A Stitch in Time.

8. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really want to read them, but first I have some story ideas I'd like to get on paper without being influenced by the novels. I hear nothing but great things about the relaunch series. By the way, Mimi, I love your avatar! Is that from one of the novel covers?

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Dave Mack and John Ordover collaborated on "Starship Down" and were credited with the story for "It's Only a Paper Moon." (Which means they came up with the original premise, although the script was rewritten later on.)