Anyone ever do a 'Star Trek What If'? Anthology?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Dale Sams, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A book of short stories such as "What if the Enterprise were stuck back in time after 'Tommrow is Yesterday' and fought the Vegan Tyranny"?

2. vorador33

vorador33 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Theres the 3 Star Trek: Myriad Universes books

3. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ahh cool. Thank you.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Any plans for a fourth?

5. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

IDW's Star Trek: The Last Generation may sort of be considered a fourth, even though it's a comic. It was published under the Myriad Universes banner.

I'd like to see some more Myriad Universes titles as well.

- Byron

6. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Isn't that comic actually connected to the regular Trek universe though?

Isn't it Captain Braxton's intervention that causes the alternate timeline to occur?

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

There are, of course, novels such as "Crucible: McCoy" (an extensive proportion is: What if McCoy was stuck back in Edith's time and never got home?) and "Crucible: Spock" (What if Thelin of Andor continued on as first officer instead of Spock?), and alternative histories, such as "Killing Time" and "First Frontier".

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are you sure you don't mean The Chimes At Midnight in Myriad Universes: Echoes & Refractions? Or did both stories do their own takes on that idea?

9. Claudia

Claudia Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That was in Crucible: Spock? I thought that was a scene in Crucible: McCoy. I'm confused now because I don't quite remember Crucible: Spock building on TV/animated episodes like C:McCoy did... :confused:

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's also the DS9 Millenium trilogy, the second of which takes place 25 years into the future, in a bizarre Federation/Fake Federation/Grigari war.

There's also the Janus Gate books, which give us a peek at a world where the Federation and Gorn have been at war for decades.

And Engines of Destiny, where we see a galaxy if the Borg had successfully assimilated Earth in 2063.

Although...
    Like Killing Time, they are all undone at the end.

I wish I had the photoshopping skills to make a road map of the Trek multiverse, as described in DTI: Forgotten History (which I guess is version 1 of what eventually becomes the temporal observatory seen in "Cold Front")

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

True, but it still says Myriad Universes on the cover.

12. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Sounds awesome to me. Can't you find somebody with that photo-magic skills? :drool:

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, it's different from the prose MyrU titles in that those are spontaneously branching timelines rather than the creations of time travel. However,
    the comic ends without the original history being restored. The protagonists do avert the dystopian future they come from, but rather than restoring the familiar one, they end up creating a third version of events.

I just imagine it as a set of branching, labeled lines, like a much more complex version of this diagram, or maybe something like this one (spoilers for the movie Primer). Basically a big Okudagram-like schematic showing the known parallel realities and branching timelines, plus the known time travel paths connecting or triggering them, with some of the branching paths being finite timelines that later reconverge and others being stable ones that continue indefinitely.

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Both stories did "Thelin survives when Spock didn't" scenes.

Yes.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Thelin

Memory Beta doesn't even list Thelin as a referenced character for "Crucible: McCoy". He was a featured character in sections of "Crucible: Spock".

http://books.google.com/books?id=WXADivUCSd4C&pg=PA253&lpg=PA253&dq=%22crucible%22+thelin&source=bl&ots=9JGZSMMlL2&sig=jOCX5ya5wdpiUGPLZceF-LGOm6E&hl=en#v=onepage&q=%22crucible%22%20thelin&f=false

15. Claudia

Claudia Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks, Therin! :techman:

16. Mr. Laser Beam

And back cover blurbs that have nothing to do with the plot in the novel itself. :lol:

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The blurbs are a separate alternate reality!

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I did not know that. Of the two I've only read TCAM so far.