Catholics, What Are You Giving Up for Lent?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by 2takesfrakes, Mar 24, 2014.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't be effed with all this self improvement.

2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

very much off-topic, I'm afraid: what does "effed" mean? Can find it in no dictionary nor online. (Or is it a word that an elderly lady should rather not know? ;) )

3. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Following the Spirit of the Law, rather than bowing to the Letter of the Law is one of Christ's messages, in the Bible. This is a good case in point. The Time of Lent can inspire people to do great things, instead of just being concerned with honoring the tradition of doing without something that season.

As an aside, a delegation including my city's Mayor and Pennsylvania's Governor, among others, went to the Vatican to invite the Holy See to visit the city when the Philadelphia Archdiocese hosts the Eighth World Meeting of Families, a Vatican-sponsored gathering expected to draw hundreds of thousands here, in 2015. I am very hopeful about this, as are many in The City of Brotherly Love.

4. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

I am an American here in the U.A.E., and to put Islam in it's simplest terms, Allah is only concerned with ones worship and devotion...there is no two-way street, and you could describe the relationship as impersonal...only worship and devotion on the part of the Muslim...one absoLUTely does all the work as you refer to above...my faith is also very simple...I make God laugh, and he cuts me a break from time to time...no joke...I KNOW he is checking me out, laughing his ass off, and that makes me feel very good...I do not know from Lent, but I do know God... ;)

5. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Fucked.

6. HIjol

High-yo!...BOOM Shahka Lahka!!!!...Quark getting right to it!:eek:

7. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for the kind words Frakes. My friend Mike passed away two days ago. His heart was getting stronger, and they were thinking of doing the bypass this weekend, but he couldn't beat an infection that developed. His son and my son are good friends, have been in the same class since kindergarten, and have played baseball and basketball together, and the same Cub Scout pack, so they've become good friends to our family; This is heartbreaking. I did survive the layoff, but will have to say goodbye to some good friends over the next couple of months.

8. 2takesfrakes

This is an unfortunate turn of events, Mr. Kirby - I'm surprised by it, actually. Words fail at times like these, but again, I'm sorry for what your going through.

9. Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am Captain Captain

Meat, chocolate, sweets, crisps.

10. HIjol

Kirby...I know you do not know me from Adam, but I have an unsolicited suggestion that I think is worth trying:

Do NOT give up on your Lenten goals...stay with as many as you can...I know it is easy for me to say, but digging deep and honoring yourself and your friend will speak much to your spirit and his...and do not think of saying good bye to your laid-off friends...yes, it could come to that, but think of saying "I am here and am thinking of you and will do what I can"

That, I think, will craft one of your best Lenten seasons...my thoughts and prayers are with you...and I do know a little about lay-offs and changes in loved ones...that is how I ended up here in the U.A.E. ...

Be well, my Friend...

HIjol

11. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

I'm giving up olives. Generally speaking.

12. 2takesfrakes

Giving up meat? Taking anything with a face off the menu is a good idea, in my opinion ...

:techman:Very good, sir.

13. Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am Captain Captain

^^ Yep, giving up meat. I don't find it too difficult. Chocolate is hard though. :(

14. 2takesfrakes

To quote Spock's older brother Sybok: "I feel your pain." I, too, am a slave to my Sweet Tooth ...

15. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

I love the irony of a statement that starts with, "It goes without saying that..." ;)

My condolences, Kirby.

16. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Indeed. It's not a statement I agree with either. Religion is an important part of some people's lives, but not everyone's.

17. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Does giving up something for Lent count if it's something you didn't give up voluntarily?

18. 2takesfrakes

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0527.html

Over the years, modifications have been made to the Lenten observances, making our practices not only simple but also easy. Ash Wednesday still marks the beginning of Lent, which lasts for 40 days, not including Sundays. The present fasting and abstinence laws are very simple: On Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, the faithful fast (having only one full meal a day and smaller snacks to keep up one's strength) and abstain from meat; on the other Fridays of Lent, the faithful abstain from meat. People are still encouraged "to give up something" for Lent as a sacrifice. (An interesting note is that technically on Sundays and solemnities like St. Joseph's Day (March 19) and the Annunciation (March 25), one is exempt and can partake of whatever has been offered up for Lent.

19. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think so since fasting in a religious context is something you decide to do in order to cleanse both body and mind.

20. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Nuts. I was hoping that being voiceless for 40 days would count!