Spoilers TNG, DS9, and VOY - Where is a Good Place to Start?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by tomalak301, Mar 28, 2014.

1. voyager1

voyager1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Good to know.

2. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Finally made it to Lesser Evil in our reread on Literary Treks. Wow, so good. [​IMG]

3. ZappaDanMan

ZappaDanMan Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hey guys. Long time fan of Star Trek and DS9 being my favourite, I recently found about the books about the continuing stories of the series and my jaw dropped. Then I discovered that massive flowchart of the novel-verse and got really excited :)

I just finished off "The lives of Dax today", will be moving onto a stitch in time and progressing down the DS9 track, it's all very exciting.

I really enjoyed TLoD book, really fleshed out the character well and was worth the read as a fan of Dax. I must admit, I was really just waiting to get to Joran chapter (the serial-killing pianist), and the pay-off was great. I however was surprised to find myself enjoying the other stories as well.

I can confirm what 'tomswift2002' stated, that the conspiracy parasite makes a return (well I guess it's first appearance, as young Captain Pike and trill investigate a comet, which appears to contain a trill slug). The moment it clicked for me was when the mentioned the tail like protrusion at the base of the brain-stem.

They book had lot's of nice tie-ins with other famous trek characters, like: Sisko, captain Pike, McCoy and Verad (the symbiont stealing trill, from DS9 S1 episode "Dax")

Anyway, I have a long road ahead in my reading journey, but I'm looking forward to it and happy to join this community.

Cheers and take care.

ZDM

4. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

You have so many amazing stories ahead of you... I'm almost jealous :)

5. Enterpriserules

Yes the parasites do come back ;)

6. ZappaDanMan

oh nice, I was always hoping to find out what happened to this enemy after season 1 TNG. Great to find out they get fleshed out a bit more. They don't seem to like the Trill that much though, I'm sure it's all just misunderstanding, either that or they're related evil slugs and the parasites wear goatee's :)

7. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Ezri tries to get to the bottom of things concerning the parasites in the Worlds of DS9 Trill story.

8. ZappaDanMan

Nice thanks. I'm a good 6-9 months away from that I'm guessing. I think I'm going to digest all of the DS9 backstory / crossover stuff and Klingon empire stories in tandem (according to the flowchart, cheers to whoever made that, it's awesome :) )

Which is a lot of reading, but I love me some DS9 :)

9. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

The parasite story also connects to the gift that Captain Picard's archaeology professor from the Academy gives him.

10. voyager1

Well I am about to jump back to everyone's favorite station in the 24th century. I am finishing Christopher's Uncertian Logic probably tonight. I enjoyed a little diversion into Voyager and Enterprise....

Glad to see some new posters in this thread since I last posted. Hopefully more new folks will post and we can discover the novels together!

11. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

Space Station Bravo?

12. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm still here and I'm still reading Rising Son.

I have to say that the first part of this book is slow going for the most part. Maybe I just lacked motivation for it, or the chapters were really long (There was a chapter I think that was 30 pages) but I have this feeling that once we got past Drang, things really started to pick up. I'm now at the scene where...SPOILERS

Stessie dies...

After Drang it felt like the book decided to move the plot forward quite a bit, now being at 71 days since Jake was on the Even Odds. Now it feels like the quality of Avatar and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

I admit, things have been busy and honestly, I'm finding myself starting to post less on here. Maybe it was really embracing facebook groups (There is nothing wrong with the "Like" features), or just not feeling like posting here, but I do check in on this thread from time to time. Also, some more motivation to finally finish this book is Enterpriserules released a new Literary Treks (Trek.fm) podcast today featuring this book so now I'm behind. Now that the book looks like it's picking up, I have a feeling I'll be reading it a little bit more than I have been.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  13. Enterpriserules

14. tomalak301

Rising Son - B+

Well, it took me a while, and a few times to start it, but I finally finished Rising Son. I kind of pushed myself to get more into this book this weekend, I found it took me over the same way Avatar did. I mentioned in a previous post how I felt the first part of this novel was really slow. I mean we have Jake in a significantly damaged shuttle getting rescued by these people and the problem was at first there wasn't really anything interesting about those people. They were a retrival squad, sure, but it was hard to care about any of them. I mean when Pifko took Jake on the tour of the Evan Odds, (And I think this was one of the longest chapters), I was like "this is the story of how Jake ended up on a Jem'Hadar ship with Kai Opaka, right? When do we get Kai Opaka".

Then, like I said last night, the adventure at Drang came and it seemed like that was the point the Book really started to take off. Jake was on his first retrival mission, we got some great stuff with the other characters but it was still about Jake and how he related to everyone on that mission, especially Dez, the Captain. After that I started to see the SD Perry I loved so much from Avatar come to shine. This book picked up the pace, the crew on the Even Odds became likeable, and like Pif, this book was off and running and never looked back.

I wasn't until a few chapters later we finally get to Opaka and Wex, but I have to say the wait was worth it. We get to those characters, and it felt like reading Avatar again, in that the revelations came at you so quickly you just wanted to keep reading. Everything from Opaka's stay on the Moon (Which one aspect I love is picking up things from the Gamma Quadrent before the War like Ennis/Nol Ennis moon or Tosk and running wild with it in the novel verse) to what they did with the Eav-oq and the explanation about the Idran system moving 3 light years, answering that question from the Epiloge of Mission Gamma and then being picked up by the Jem'Hadar. Everything just came together so well and I can see why this is a popular book.

I'm giving it a B+ and not an A for one reason. The stuff at the beginning was a little slow and I did start the book over like 3 different times. Maybe it was lack of motivation, maybe it was just being busy, but I wonder if they could have taken out some of that early stuff, like the Holodeck (The Wa) on the ship that really didn't seem necessary in the long run. They seemed to spend a lot longer on it than anything else and yeah it had a small impact on the space movements at the end, but we could have done without it.

I'm very much looking forward to Unity.

15. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman:Great podcast discussion about Favorite son. It was nice to hear a in depth discussion of one of my favorite the ds9 relaunch books I really like Jake and the even Odds crew and Opaka and Jake's friendship in the book. I can't wait to listen to your Unity podcast. I recently read Unity it's one my favorite of all the ds9 books Ben Sisko's return was cleverly written in this novel.

16. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Unity should enter my all-time Top Ten list. Problem is, I donĀ“t know what novel I should kick out instead :).

17. Enterpriserules

^ Thank you! Really looking forward to rereading Unity after all these years. It is nice that so many of these books stand the test of time.

18. voyager1

I enjoyed Rising Son too. I hope the Even Odds will make another appearance.

19. tomalak301

Read the timeline and the prologue to Unity today. I really appreciated the Timeline, even though there are some spoilers on books I haven't read yet. I'm actually finding Spoilers in books to not be as bad as Spoilers in TV shows. Still don't really want to know what happens in Unity (Even though I know Ben comes back in this book considering it's on the cover).

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't they say that the Even Odds was somehow involved in the Ascendants crisis in one of the post-Destiny books?