Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, yes, but Mike was still engulfed by the blast and there was no sign of him afterward. And I doubt their timing of the detonation was entirely coincidental. After all, Mike was powerful enough to pose a threat to them, so their chances of escape were even better if they not only covered their tracks but killed (or at least incapacitated) their most powerful pursuer.

2. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

The whole bad guy thing at the end was a sloppy mess. First they blew up the trucks to kill Mike(and cover the fact they got out of the car). Then they blew up the car to make everyone think Coulson was dead, good idea but, several seconds later they escaped in a helicopter that everyone saw leave the area.
    Did blowing up the car then serve any purpose if they let them see the helicopter? It didnt really block the street at all and there was no reason to since they were escaping in a helicopter and noone was around to pursue it.
    How bad a sniper position was Ward in if the helicopter could fire at him as it left?
    Thinking about this show makes my head ache.

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, I think they set the explosion not Extremis. I thought Timelord Victorious was saying the same thing. Although, admittedly, my memory of Iron Man 3 is a bit fuzzy since I haven't seen it since theaters.

4. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, it simply bought them the time they needed to get to the helicopter.

And shooting at Ward on their way out of the neighbourhood punctuated the ongoing suspicion that they knew to plan for snipers all along.

5. Alidar Jarok

I do wonder how much they knew. After all, it would be harder to track a scent by helicopter as well, so even their non-technological tracking would be useless (granted, I don't know if they put it on Coulson as well).

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Ward just sucks at picking a sniper perch. He knew the location of the exchange and from what directions both sides would be coming from and he chooses a spot where the view is blocked. Brilliant.

7. Alidar Jarok

Although, in his defense, the bad guys parked those things there in order to block snipers (and to rig them with explosives from what I could tell).

8. sojourner

Before he chose his location, so yeah, still on him.

9. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it was obviously not Mike exploding but the explosion catching him while running past the blast area.
    Essentielly like Pepper falling to her "death" into a fire/explosion.
    So if they want to bring him back, they can, by simply saying his Extremis power protected him against it, since Extremis is a fire-based power in comic book terms.

10. Alidar Jarok

Maybe there wasn't any place better? :shrug:

11. Christopher

That was the impression I got, that it was supposed to be an open area without a lot of viable sniper vantage points nearby. However, modern snipers with the right equipment and training can take a shot from a few miles away, I think, so they fudged it a little there. (Though I'm not one to judge, since I made a similar mistake in Only Superhuman).

12. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If - as some suspect - Peterson told Coulson the whole story beforehand and they thought through the staging for the benefit of Coulson's team and the non-benefit of "Centipede", then I could see Coulson working out a "here's how to track me in case things go to Hell" regimen.

I do wonder if Raina and Po picked the exchange site to cut the chances of sniper intervention and contain the damage that could be done by sniper fire. Probably.

13. Christopher

Unquestionably. Those trucks weren't there by accident. Centipede chose to stage the exchange on a bridge between two large trucks specifically in order to block any snipers or cameras, so that they could pull the double cross. And of course they rigged the trucks to blow afterward to cover their getaway.

14. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

They knew exactly where Tweedledum was. When they left, they shot exactly at him. Not near him, not at every possible sniper position, but right at him.

15. sojourner

Any chance some of the tracking scent rubbed off on lady in the flower dress when he grabbed her by the neck?

(sorry, can't be bothered to remember their names)

16. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

That would be a nice detail if it did....

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I can't be the only one who thinks that Po IS the Clairvoyant? In sort of a Gollum/ Sméagol type relationship? Or maybe like Kuato in Total Recall?

18. Alidar Jarok

Well, I don't. I just think that's a bit too convoluted. But I guess anything is possible.

I think he spoke with the Clairvoyant by speaking into a mirror and having the lip reading software in his eyeball send the message (which was then sent back via text).

19. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

No you can't.

But then I brought up the eyeball tech since that's also a likely possibility.

20. Alidar Jarok

Out of curiosity, what's the reasoning for each of you why you think split personality is the explanation?