Into Darkness. Terrible!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Michael001, Sep 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael001

Michael001 Ensign Newbie

:confused:I am 51 and have been watching Star Trek since I can remember. last night with my wife away I rented Into Darkness. To say I was disappointed would be a huge understatement, in fact it is the only Star Trek movie I have ever fallen asleep while watching. Admittedly only for a few minutes.

The first movie with this new crew was very good and set the stage for a whole new Star Trek. With this latest offering they have taken the arguably the best Start Trek movie of all time "Wrath of Khan" and bastardized it! Nothing new and a very poor adaptation of the original.

With the huge budgets and an endless story possibilities available in a never ending universe, this is the best thing they could come up with?? Reversing the characters Kirk for Spock, in one of the most memorable scenes not just in Star Trek history but in cinematic history was a travesty. I was embarrassed.

What's with senior star fleet crew not only having a relationship but openly kissing on deck? I must be getting old and presume this sort of rubbish is aimed at a newer generation. I can't believe the new Star Trek viewers are that stupid!

Character development in this movie was puerile. Again, I must be showing my age but what's with the casual relationship and interactions between the captain and his subordinate officers and crew?

I just wanted to vent and will never post another comment. I joined today just to express my disappointment to people who might understand. :confused:

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's what you said last time:p

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hello, Michael, I'm 33, and welcome to TrekBBS. We heard you the first time you said it was the only time, and more importantly, we heard it when it was in the right forum. Noted and logged. Have a nice day, be sure to pick up a gift basket on your way out.

4. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Clearly you're a fan of the franchise who has been watching forever so why not stick around and discuss other aspects of Trek? Don't just hit and run. Be an active participant in the part of Trek that you do enjoy.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, you guys really know how to make the new members feel welcome. :rolleyes:

Don't worry about it, Michael. There are some here who take it personally if you don't love NuTrek as much as they do. I guess there's a reason the word fan is derived from fanatic after all. Stick around, if you care to, the other Trek subforums can be a lot of fun. :)

6. Michael001

Michael001 Ensign Newbie

Sorry, I have never been on a forum and don't know how things work. Sorry if I posted twice. Thank you.

7. Michael001

Michael001 Ensign Newbie

Sorry, I have never been on a forum and don't know how things work. Sorry if I posted twice. Thank you.

8. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Star Trek has to change though doesn't it. It cannot stay the same forever, it must adapt to survive. That being said, a hollywood tentpole movie with a massive budget needs to appeal to certain cinemagoing demographics and the mass market and rigidly adhering to what has come before may be a bit of a turn off to aforementioned demos and masses. This movie and the reboot is designed from the ground up for that 'model' and it is what it is. (a breath of fresh air for the franchise imho)

It is this change that is a turn off to some fans imo because they don't like the change. They want same old familiar Trek.

I believe you could use these same actors & sets in a TV show and in that medium the stories & feel etc would be much more in keeping with the old TV shows.

9. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Uh, R. Star, no one's complaining that he didn't like the movie. They're complaining that he announced in his first (very negative) post that he will never post again, and then he re-posted the same message -- including the obviously no longer accurate statement that he will never post again -- here. That doesn't exactly encourage warm welcomes.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved STID. I liked it better than STXI, in fact.

11. Amaris

This.

12. Michael001

Michael001 Ensign Newbie

Again. Sorry I posted twice. I couldn't find the first one and not knowing forums didn't think it worked so I started again.

Thank you for the feedback though.

13. R. Star

So I guess negativity begets more negativity? Even justifies it? Possibly true to some, but I don't call encouraging it a good thing. We were all new posters at one point and don't deserve to have our heads bitten off our first few posts.

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's the whole "I am doing a drive by, kthxbye" deal that people react to.

15. R. Star

Could be, though if that's the logic it's silly. If you think someone is trolling, all you're doing by responding is giving them something to react to.

Then again I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt.

16. Amaris

I always give people the benefit of the doubt until they give me reason to feel otherwise. New user, old user, you don't join, say you joined to slag on something, proceed to slag on said something, also state that you're never commenting again, only to comment again by starting a new thread about it in the wrong forum. That is the quickest way to lose that benefit.

You cannot use the expression "I didn't know not to post twice," because that doesn't matter. If you said you're not going to comment on it again, only to make a new thread about it in one of the topmost visible Trek forums, then you're either lying, or trolling.

17. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

If two senior officers being a relationship was a problem for him he should have quit Trek during TNG. :vulcan:

I agree there were serious problems with the film, and it wasn't targeted at the same people who enjoyed the original Treks. But it's possible to criticize a film without a condescending tone.

18. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

With an exact 'copy and paste'? Amazing. Truly.

No problemo.

Or TOS's first season episode 'Court Martial' - Kissing on the bridge! I could add more, but I'd be repeating myself...

I enjoyed the original Treks. I enjoyed this one. I think it was targeted for someone just like me. :shrug:

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I've enjoyed the Abramsverse films far more than most of TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. :shrug:

20. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Well, since this is in the wrong forum, and the exact same point was made in the correct forum, I'm going to close this thread. Feel free to continue the discussion in Star Trek Movies XI+

[​IMG]

"Hailing Frequencies Closed"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.