The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skywalker, Dec 6, 2012.

?

How would you grade [i]The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey[/i]?

1. A+

32 vote(s)
    16.6%
  2. A

52 vote(s)
    26.9%
  3. A-

38 vote(s)
    19.7%
  4. B+

28 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. B

15 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. B-

9 vote(s)
    4.7%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  8. C

8 vote(s)
    4.1%
  9. C-

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  10. D+

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers

This, of course, being a strictly YMMV affair...

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, if you rearrange the letters in Moria, you do get Mario...

3. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

See, I'm the opposite, I feel that the Moria stair sequence, while it had some great parts, really lost me with the tilting stairs in a way that The Hobbit didn't. I just couldn't bend my suspension of disbelief enough that I could feel that Aragorn and Frodo could tip the stair.

4. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

So what you're saying is that Goblintown is Woria?

5. CommanderRaytas

I actually thought the scene in The Hobbit was more plausible, too - so I agree with Manticore.

But that doesn't mean I dislike the Moria scene. I don't.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

This is a really good observation that I don't think I've ever considered before. They definitely had a few bits throughout the movie where Boromir seemed like he'd kind of taken on an older brother type of role for Merry and Pippin. There was also the scene on Caradhras where Boromir was pretty much carrying the two of them through the snow.

7. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

They didn't tip the stair on their own... the stair would probably have tipped as it did anyway, but their presence might have tipped it in a slightly different direction if they had applied their own weight in a different direction... so Aragorn wanted he and Frodo to reinforce the stairs' natural tilt by leaning forward.

Anyone can be cynical and say that this was still impossible, just as they could say that the bridge/ladder/pole stuff in the Hobbit was impossible. I actually thought that bit was entertaining, to be sure. But I wasn't involved in it. It didn't feel as big or as important as the tilting stair sequence. And it didn't serve to accentuate or develop the characters anything like I've demonstrated about the Moria sequence.

The other point I wanted to make in my post about the points I liked about the Moria sequence was how, when Frodo and Aragorn made it across, Howard Shore kicks in with his most bold use of the Fellowship theme... it truly symbolizes how together they were at that moment, after Aragorn and Frodo (normally the most isolated guys in the group) had made it to their friends.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  8. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had a Philosophy of Tolkien class, which brought up something that was really noticeable in the films HUJ and LOTR, the orcs! Half the time, they were written as near-mindless drones, but sometimes they were shown to be individuals with their own desires. I'd have to reread the books, but this struck me a lot while watching HUJ.

9. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

That's definitely present in the books, especially in the conflicts among the orcs who kidnap Merry and Pippin and the ones in the Tower of Cirith Ungol...

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I think there are two thoughts here. My view is having Smaug die in the second movie exacerbates the "false ending" problem. My view is to have the Necromancer be the villain of the second and Smaug in the third. But, since it's called the Desolation of Smaug, I suspect the second one will be Smaug-heavy.

11. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Boromir was the best character in the LotR films. Sean Bean did a masterful job playing him and even though he had a very dark side to him, his love for Merry and Pippin was beautiful. The most complex character in those films, no doubt.

12. CommanderRaytas

Which is why the extended version of The Two Towers is so much better than the shorter one! That flashback scene Faramir has about the last time he and Boromir were together, at Osgiliath, gives a lot of insight into Boromir as a person...and explains why he was so tempted - driven - to take the Ring, and yet remained (and died as one) a good guy.

13. Mark de Vries

Mark de Vries Commodore Commodore

:lol:

Not really no. But my girlfriend can see it, and she really liked it. Besides, the 3D showing was the only one that fit well in our evening plans.

14. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm thinking DOS goes with the assault on the Necromancer, then ends with Smaug flying off to attack Laketown... then the last one can open with Bard shooting him down and then the wrapping of the quest, fuss over the Arkenstone, and the Battle of Five Armies.

15. The Mirrorball Man

Or the entire thing is wrapped by the end of the second film, and the third film is just Bilbo saying goodbye to the dwarves for three hours. In 3D.

16. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll wait for the extended edition where Frodo sits down and reads Bilbo's book. Out loud. For 9 hours. In 3D HFR and Sensurround.

17. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

:rommie:

Some thoughts:

- The Holm Bilbo cameo was fantastic, but it would have been cooler to hear him talking about/to Frodo yet not see him (Frodo). That way, if one were to watch all six movies in narrative order, Frodo's appearance would be a treat only teased here. (... And would Bilbo really start writing his story on the very day of his departure?)

- The song around Bilbo's fire was wonderful, and too short. Hope it lasts twice as long in the extended cut.

- The orc-chase to Rivendell should have been cut, especially since the wargs as shown would have overtaken them several times over.

- Was definitely fun to see a more cheerful Elrond.

- When Galadriel vanished, did anyone else expect Gandalf to growl, "so that's what that feels like?"

- The rock monsters would have been a wonderfully eerie visual in the distance for the troop to gape at, but building a full-bore action scene around them was hardly necessary. Hey, now that I think of it, there were rock giants in the far background during Crash Bandicoot: Warped...

- That Troll King... ew. First we get the teethed you-know-whats in Kong, now this... oy. :p

- Overall, the action was indeed a over-the-top at times, but it fit with the tone more often than not, and nothing was a facepalm-worthy as the bronto stampede or Billy Elliot shooting several huge insects off of Brody yet never even grazing him.

- Man, would Kong have been awesome in 3D.

- The dwarf prosthetics were pretty amazing. I used to think a live-action Warcraft movie wouldn't work, as it isn't possible to make humans look so exaggerated and wild. I was wrong.

... And, once again, another eagerly-awaited geek movie utterly flunks the Bechdel Test. Give us some more fine and badass lady elves next time! :p

18. The Mirrorball Man

The movie does slightly better than the book. IIRC, the Bechdel Test is made of three parts: there are at least two female characters, they talk to each other about something else than a man. The book has no female character at all, so the movie is a marginal improvement.

19. CommanderRaytas

I'd go at least 5 times to the cinema to watch that. :p

I WAS A TOLKIEN FAN BEFORE IT WAS MAINSTREAM! /Hipster

Actually, no, but I did read LotR, The Hobbit and The Silmarillion before the first film came out, so the expectations were pretty high (and for AUJ, too).... and boy, do I care that several of PJ's enhancements are pure fanwank / money grubbing? Nope. Not at all.

Though whether I'll approve of Evangeline Lilly and the Dwarves fawning over her.... we'll see.

20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Goblin, not troll. AKA the Great Goblin.