NCC-1701 USS Enterprise Deck by Deck - WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by havoc92, Jan 18, 2010.

1. havoc92

havoc92 Commander Red Shirt

Mytran, Yeppers. And Gebirg, it appears that those mounted panels may actually be pullouts. I always kinda figured these were just a form of wall art to break up the spaces and inject some color into the visual diet instead of just vast swaths of grey. That seems to be correct in that they have no obvious functional parts.
    And a look at a busy box from the Defiant (Enterprise final season)
    shows one of these panels with just such a plant on unit ...

[​IMG]

And CDR6, Thank you. I've got a tad over 2 years invested in spare time at this point. Still going.. ;)

Finally..

Been a busy bee today.. as per usual.
    So, how's about a closeup and we'll pull out a little ... ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a little rotation ..
    [​IMG]

Still basic. The Conference table needs the computer, monitor, button sets and
    data cartridge slots added; But, given the amount of work that went into getting
    accurate measurements for the table.. a good day's effort IMHO.

Time for some sleep!

2. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fascinating havoc92. I haven't gotten to the point of making conference room parts yet but I'm curious on how you measured out the table. (If it's a source that can save me time...:D) :)

3. havoc92

Mr. Scott's guide to the Enterprise. There's a drawing of it in there with a rough measure guide in feet (for once). Overall length comes to about 11.75 ft. Some of the measures aren't that clear; so, I used some geometry skills to pin down the tricky spots. But that's my best ref so far.

And here's an update:

A little more progress on the conference table..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is next to nothing out there in way of schematics for much of the equipment; so, a lot of this is being done
    with guesswork and the like. It's a little maddening; but, getting there..

4. havoc92

[​IMG]

Just some fixups and color testing.. The coms and chairs are bugging me. The color on both seems off; so, I'm still playing with those. The main thing fixed here is the color on the switch blocks and the size of the comm units. The monitor still needs addressing; but, I'm still working that problem.

5. havoc92

More adjustments here. The mapping for the comms and switchblocks in the prints don't match what's seen in the show, so I played some geometry tricks and figured on an 8 inch inset from the table edge. I also did some work to the colors for the display and added reflectivity to the table top. Really makes it pop; but, boy does the render time go up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost looks like you could walk in and sit down. Lovin it.

6. havoc92

Here's another render. Mods have been made to the comms, additions to the library computer and a change to the lighting.
    I was using a blue omni and a white. Switched to two Blue omnis and really liking the difference.

[​IMG]

7. havoc92

More detail added to the library computer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still have to chamfer some edges and worry about textures; but, ..

8. havoc92

[​IMG]

..ok, the cutins for the data drives are all in place. The last remaining thing is to texture the comm grills and the graphics for the library computer.

9. LordSarvain

LordSarvain Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You sir are a modeling animal, vicious and relentless. Seriously this is fantastic can't wait for more. Nice touch with the Harry Mudd pic in the computer ;)

10. havoc92

Thanks, LS.

More toys. These are the computer cabinets that are seen many times around the ship. There are four that I'm aware of.
    The fourth is the same as one of these but with an openable upper compartment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really enjoying working on props at this point. Lots of work; but,
    a lot faster results than building a mountain lol.

11. havoc92

Another shot just for fun. Loved the shadowplay.. ;)

[​IMG]

12. blssdwlf

Hehe those were fun to model. I did find the hexagon mesh shadow distracting and found that the TOS production crew had interesting ways of not having those show up :) Good work havoc92 :techman:

13. ghoyle1

ghoyle1 Lieutenant Red Shirt

How did they work around it?

Guy

14. ghoyle1

ghoyle1 Lieutenant Red Shirt

havoc92, how big are those hexagons? I'd guess about an inch, more or less.

15. blssdwlf

From experimenting, soft overhead lighting and/or directed lighting to send the shadow away where it wasn't too distracting. If you look real hard you can spot soft hexagons cast on objects or walls immediately next to it but rarely would you see the hexagons more than a couple of feet away. If you were to try and build interior lighting at where you think they would be on a starship, those hexagon shadows would be everywhere IMHO :D

16. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Simply ma-mazing.

17. havoc92

Actually, they started as a 6 sided ngon with 1.x inch radius. I put the ngon in front of a 2" cube and increased radius until the distance between two flat sides was exactly 2". Didn't write down what the resultant radius was unfortunately. But if you look at the screens in Menagerie part I and gauge distance then count, there are 18 across on what looks like a 36" run. If you do it by height, you end up with 2" as well. so..

18. havoc92

I can understand why they might tend to get in the way here and there; but, I think they should have left them in where possible. Then again, it's difficult enough to cull detail in scenes without the shadows sometimes; so... ok, never mind rofl. And Thanks ;)

So far this has all been rather fun to model. And I keep learning all sort of things while going bald trying to do so lol. How's your build going. Just was talking about you over at Scifi meshes in the last day or two.

19. blssdwlf

A bit slow going on my end as my 3D time is getting squeezed (job and family schedule near the holidays :D )

Glad you're having fun modeling. Despite the "simple" look of the Enterprise, there are some pretty cool parts to practice new techniques on.

20. havoc92

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Posted two new videos in the past 24 hours. These are a rehash of things already seen here; but, video update rather than 2d.