USS Bowman

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by DredZed, Apr 5, 2012.

1. DredZed

DredZed Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

So, back from the honeymoon and all, thanks for the congratulations Kaiser and Blip!

I decided to try to continue with the Bowman a bit. I really want to get to the secondary hull soon, but decided to ease back into this with something a bit simpler and not as vital to the look.

Since the last thing I added was the gangway hatch, I figured I'd start there. I wanted to explore how the ship would actually dock at a space station or dry dock using this hatch. The way I saw it, the doors that you can see are actually only outer doors, since they didn't make much sense from an airlock point of view. So I decided to design a docking port from scratch, based partly on the airlock from the travel pod from the first two movies, but squared off to fit more snugly in the hatch.

I started off by building the gangway that would extend from a dry dock or space station to the ship, ending in an airlock that would fit into the gangway hatch on the saucer:

[​IMG]

Then used that to build the actual docking port inside the hatch itself. You can see here the pockets for the doors on the gangway to be retracted into, and the sockets for the docking latches to link with.

[​IMG]

Since I was able to do both parts, I decided I might as well do a simple shot of it actually docked, so here that is:

[​IMG]

Of course, each of these parts will only be used in shots where the ship is either just off docking, or actually docked, but I figured I'd like to do a dry dock shot anyway when I get more done, so this is a good start I think. I'm also planning on using the same docking system for any other ships I might build in the same style, so I built the actual interior docking port to be interchangeable into any other model.

Please let me know what you think, and if there's anything I can do to improve on this. Hopefully I should be able to get more done soon, not sure what or when exactly, but I'll be working on it whenever I can.

2. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Very nicely done. :techman::techman::techman::techman::techman:

3. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm... nifty vessel..

Its flat Jim! but I like it. :D

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Adore the work with the main gangway. The refit era needs more love. I can see this version of the refit leading to the STO Excalibur, which looks better in the art than in the game.

5. Starship

Starship Captain Captain

Looks to much cool!!

6. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wish people would stop trying to excuse this blatant error as intentional sarcasm -- especially when they blatantly fail to speak it as such. And next time, send a PM instead of derailing someone else's thread.

DredZed that's a pretty looking gangway. :drool:

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I couldn't give a rats ass.

8. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

8I am really liking this design!!

9. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

[pedantic grammar nazi]

I'm sorry, but that should be "rat's ass," with an apostrophe to denote the possessive case....

[/pedantic grammar nazi]

:rofl:

--Alex

10. sojourner

I could care less.

11. Albertese

12. DredZed

Ok, it's been a very, very long time (again) but I finally managed to start getting a little more progress with this again. I've been trying to figure out the structure of the secondary hull, and how the grid patterns will work. Here's the first shot showing off some of what I've gotten done so far:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

I believe it should be "arse" unless you're trying to say that the rat has a donkey :p

14. Albertese

Haha!

I'm an American!

:lol:

--Alex

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Glad to see work continuing. Kelvin type cut outs on a smooth refit make for a more aggressive stance on a vessel--a mirror universe refit say.

16. DredZed

Another few months, another tiny bit of progress.

I finally got some time to work on this again, decided to shift focus back to the saucer section. Specifically, I wanted to finally give this thing a proper impulse engine.

[​IMG]

I want to be able to have the saucer detach, and the secondary hull operate independently, like the Galaxy class. The darkened second impulse drive tucked under the main one is the drive for the secondary hull, which would stay offline until the saucer separates.

Please let me know what you all think, hopefully I might still be able to make time to work on this some more soon.

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Look cool to me :)

18. sojourner

Nice to see this progressing.