3D Software?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by JoshC, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Praxius

Praxius Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't call it insanely difficult, then again I went to college to figure it out. It just gives you way more options for texturing then say 3D Studio Max and I think because of all the options they provide for you, it can be a bit complicated looking.

You can find a number of decent tutorials for Maya Mapping here: (Along with a pile of plugins and textures, models etc. for just about any 3D program out there)

http://www.creativecrash.com/

The thing about Maya's texturing is that you gotta focus on bits and chunks at a time.

I personally found 3D Studio Max more limited and complicated in modeling compared to Maya, and while it's texture tools are pretty decent and easy to use, I find them more limiting then Maya's. But it's been a few years since I played around 3D Studio Max.

I'd suggest Maya above all others, but the program is pretty pricy, about the same price as a small motorcycle depending on what version you get.

Many movies used Maya, in Paticular, Final Fantasy, which was done on an early version of Maya...... it's abilities are far greater now.

I'll admit, I started on 3D Studio Max and was hooked on it.... I had a hard time wanting to get into Maya, because at the time I never heard of it and looked complicated.... yet since I got into it, I never touched 3D Studio Max ever again.

2. Xavier_Storma

Xavier_Storma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I started with 3D Max, and really could not manage it.
    I tried C4D and it was love at first sight. It is easy to use, and has a superb user friendly interface. You will be able to make animations in no time.

3. n3mes1s

n3mes1s Cadet Newbie

I just started to modelling and sketchup just surprised me, easy to use and good functionallity. Maybe it lacks on some aspects like texturing, but its a great program to start modelling. I also have lightwave for use in a future.. 3d studio max is stupidly complicated for a non profesional modeller..

4. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

Sculptris

http://www.sculptris.com/

It's a free program like ZBrush. Super easy and way cool. Recently, ZBrush bought it, but they say they will continue to improve and support it.

5. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Might I suggest to everyone who is a new to 3D Modeling

Try Google Sketchup
    http://sketchup.google.com/download/

Sketchup is the easist program I've come across so far.
    - It'sFREE
    - It's Fun
    - All the tutorials are on-line and really easy to understand letting you take your time.
    - There are already numerous models in the 3D Warehousehttp://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/

-Many of the Plugins are Free like the Soapbubbles Plugin that allows for organic shapes.
    http://www.tensile-structures.de/Download/SoapSkinBubbleTool_Rel_1.0.11.zip

I learned Sketchup in about 10 days and here some of my work.

Oversize Image Converted to Link (please keep to 800 px wide max)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All these models were created in Sketchup.
    The Fighter was my very first project followed by the Mega Carrier and I'm currently working on the Spacedock.
    It's fun!

And after you think you can handle bigger programs like
    3D Studio Max
    Lightwave
    Modo or Maya you can decide to buy them if you're serious about it.
    ----------------------------------------
    PM me if you need help it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2010
  6. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very nice, but DUDE, images are too big for the thread. Please replace with thumbnails.

Again, great Sketchup work.

7. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Sorry...I don't seem to have that ability to edit them.

8. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

Aight, so i've been looking into modeling the last few days. which one is the easiest to learn? don't worry about the price, i can probably get them through my school.

9. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sketchup. By far. They did what I thought was impossible: They made 3D modeling intuitive.

10. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Exactly....

Currently I know sketchup and Auto CAD and I'm learning lightwave and Solidworks....
    sketchup is the obvious success.

11. joeysmith

joeysmith Ensign Newbie

have u used maya ??

12. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

I have it but haven't used it.

I specialize in CAD products.
    Auto CAD
    Solid Works
    Sketchup

I'm working on learning 3D Studio Max

13. Today

Today Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

3D was so last century, I model exclusively in 10D.:techman: Of course texturing/shaing requires a rudimentary understanding of graduate level string theory :rofl:

On a serious note, I'm very fond of LightWave.. shortcomings and all. It's what I learned on, plus it has very accessibly priced student versions:)

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Question:

In other programs I've seen some import 2D drawings to use as a basis from which to build their 3D models. Can the same be done in Google Sketchup? I've begun learning Sketchup and it's something I'd like to know.

15. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sure you can. I've never used Sketchup, but I've seen other people set it up fine. I just did a Google search for set up blueprints google sketchup and there seemed to be some good tutorials.

16. Starship

Starship Captain Captain

Yes, sketchup is a good option. It´s a bit complex if you try to build organics or not so hard surfaces, but you can do it. Sketchup has a dedicated community, which produces LOTS of plugins for free. Oh, and after done, you can share the model and open it in other pc without to need the plugin. :)
    I´m a max user but, just for curiosity, I played with sketchup. I built a mesh (a starship) in just one week, without any manual, just based upon try and error to see how intuitive the application is. And it´s a fact. :)

17. mByers

mByers Cadet Newbie

i get you, the thought of designing something certainly accrued to me but it also always seemed hard :)
    maybe i should get over myself and do it :)

18. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am interested in Electricrain's Swift 3D program to import sketchup model (which have been oncverted into 3ds) to animated it as a vector.

Doe anyone have any experience using swift 3d?

19. Ranger

Ranger Cadet Newbie

I started off with Blender, it was free, and still use it as I can model faster and easier with it than I can with Lightwave.
    But that's just me...

20. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain