John Bynre photocomics

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Stevil2001, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Perhaps it's some kind of illusion/dream sequence? If they're returning to Delta Vega, it seems reasonable to expect that Gary Mitchell will turn out to be alive after all and that some reality-altering stuff will occur.

2. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, I read through the whole thread on Byrne Robotics last night, and it seems so in context.

Anyone vaguely interested in this should read that thread; the work Byrne does to turn television into good comics is quite interesting, and I'm much more interested in this project than when I started this thread!

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43808

3. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

Sounds very interesting to me . . . more adventures; cool :drool:.

I've certainly enjoyed his Star Trek work so far . . .

4. Christopher

Me too. Seeing more of his samples, I'm interested by his use of comic-book composition and conventions to spice up the screencaps -- like in his "Corbomite Maneuver" test pages, having the image of Spock on the sickbay monitor being in a "balloon" with its tail pointing to the monitor, yet with Spock's dialogue in balloons coming out of the inset image. I also liked that page where you had Kirk in the turbolift on the left, Spock on the bridge in the middle, and stacked back-and-forth dialogue balloons in the middle -- a nice graphic portrayal of the conversation between two locations. I'm seeing that even with recycled images, one can appreciate the artistry and skill of Byrne's compositions.

It's also interesting to see how he's approaching plotting via something akin to the Marvel method: first constructing a sequence of images, then devising the story and dialogue based on that sequence. (Although the Marvel method is plot first, then images, then dialogue, usually.)

What's impressive is that it only took a week to get from "the fantasy ... of IDW asking me to do [this]" (June 18) to "The STAR TREK Powers That Be have approved this for publication!" (June 25). The wheels don't generally turn that fast. I guess they must've been really eager for a new Byrne project.

Anyway, I'm a bit jealous, since I've also long imagined doing a "Gary Mitchell returns" story -- in fact, I outlined one as a pitch to IDW a few years ago, though the opportunity to present it to them never materialized. (We have seen at least one such story before -- in the Star Trek/X-Men crossover from Marvel!)

5. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm reading the thread on Byrne's forum, and I have to admit that my first impression was wrong. He's doing a bangup job with this.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Even so, I wouldn't expect to see it on shelves before February. From October onward IDW will have two Star Trek titles -- the ongoing series and the Into Darkness prequel Khan -- and they know the comics market will only bear so much Star Trek.

7. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Pretty much every ST project Byrne has done has been golden. This one may be produced a bit differently, but I'm in.

8. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's knowing how good Byrne is at laying out comics that makes me more interested in this. A photo-comic in general doesn't excite me much, but knowing how talented Byrne is at visual story telling makes me, at the very least, curious to see what he ends up making.
    Here here! The Quogs seem such a wasted opportunity, they could have a lot of fun with them. They'd be perfect for funny short films and such like. QMx are startig to get playful with their Trekkies comic strips, but I prefer the Quogs style.

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I only bought the shortpacked Orion figure, but I did like how the Kirk and Spock were generic enough to be either the new or old actors playing the roles.

http://trekmovie.com/2009/02/12/cbs...-tos-character-designs-for-multiple-products/

10. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

As others have said, I'm a bit disappointed to not have more Byrne line art, but more Byrne Star Trek is really good news!

11. Christopher

12. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Sounds cool. I remember reading those old Photo-Novels back in the day. Fond memories.

13. CaptPapa

Very cool, I look forward to picking up a copy. Thanks for the update.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm actually kind of surprised these kinds of things haven't become more common with Photoshop being so widely used.

15. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks cool! This the technique I've been using with TMP still on my You-tube comic. I was tempted to use TOS stills but I went for TMP in the end because I love that version of the Enterprise the most and I love all the alien crew. It is good fun. Which reminds me I have to finish off the last part of the second story!

16. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

17. CaptPapa

I'm very much looking forward to this series. I enjoyed the first one and am very glad to have a new comic that is not associated with fuTrek.
    Jane Kirk . . . are you kidding me?:confused::guffaw::scream: :brickwall::barf:
    Can we go any lower than this?
    Well maybe . . . how 'bout Abbott and Costello meet Star Trek; no, no, here it is - Godzilla vs. the Enterprise.:guffaw::rofl::guffaw:

ME

18. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd like a rational explanation of why "Jane Kirk" is somehow more absurd than "Goatee Spock" or "Gangster Planet".

You can enjoy both the "Prime" universe and the new one.

19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Data and Joe Piscopo making spastic noises on the holodeck is far, far lower than anything related to the new Trek movies.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are you kidding me, Godzilla vs. the Enteperprise would be friggin' awesome! I would read that comic in a heartbeat. IDW even has the Godzilla license so it's not out of the realm of possibility. Hell, they're doing a miniseries where The X-Files crosses over with Ghostbusters, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Transformers. Personally, I'd say a Star Trek/Godzilla crossover is a lot more plausible than any of those.