Star Trek Vanguard: The Finale Thread (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by David Mack, Mar 9, 2012.

1. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Just got the next-to-last book, which I'll finish tonight.

Waiting for the last one. I guess it releases on Tuesday.

2. Lunarflower

Lunarflower Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just got the book (my Barnes and Noble got it early I guess). I'll probably start reading it tonight.

3. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ Enjoy!

4. T'Bonz

Just finished the next-to-last book (7 books in one week.)

Finally, I'm ready to read the finale. In a perfect world, it would arrive in tomorrow's mail. In the real world, it'll arrive on a busy Tuesday.

I've really enjoyed the series, although if I had to give a one-word description of the series I would say, "bittersweet."

Without having read the last book, I have to say that the arrogance of the Shedai (not sure if I spelled that right and too lazy to go and look it up) is getting on my nerves. "Born to rule" my ass.

5. David Mack

^ Well, the Shedai Apostate agrees with you on that point... ;)

6. T'Bonz

I kinda like him. *grin* :D

7. David Mack

Yes, he's very much a "sympathy for the Devil" sort of character. :D

8. T'Bonz

Yeah, yeah, I caught that 1/3 cast out reference right away. :p

9. David Mack

At long last the day has arrived: the official publication day for Storming Heaven, the action-packed finale of the Star Trek Vanguard saga!

The fine folks over at StarTrek.com have posted a short article by yours truly that talks about what the saga has meant to me as a writer, and why I feel that Vanguard‘s final installment is consistent with the ideas that first inspired the series.

As part of my own continuing send-off for the series, I’ve updated my website’s Vanguard Finale Page with two new PDF files — the original Star Trek Vanguard Series Bible, and the post-Harbinger addendum to the bible that I wrote for the benefit of my editor, Marco Palmieri, and Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore, the authors who would follow my lead.

Caveat: The series bible and its addendum contain major spoilers, so I strongly advise you not to peruse them until after you’ve finished reading the saga.

This weekend, I’ll be recording a special roundtable discussion about the series with Marco, Dayton, and Kevin. We’ll answer questions submitted by fans, decide who wins the autographed sets of the complete saga, and spill the series’ secrets. As soon as I get that discussion edited, my friend Keith R.A. DeCandido and his cohorts at long-running fan-favorite podcast series The Chronic Rift will host the “Vanguard Farewell Podcast” as a special presentation.

I’m also working to arrange a special presentation, with help from some folks in the Internet-radio arena, to bring you a special podcast about the musical inspirations behind the Vanguard saga. More on that as it develops, so stay tuned.

For now, I hope you’ll all grab a copy of Storming Heaven hot off the presses and enjoy the last wild ride of the Starbase 47 crew and the rest of the saga’s sprawling roster of dramatis personae.

10. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Whoa, releasing the original bible is very fancy, thanks for that. Looking forward to reading it one day.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Would I be breaking any kind of rules if I printed the series bible out so I can take my time with it?

12. David Mack

If memory serves, I disabled the printing function on that PDF to discourage people from doing things like selling copies at conventions without my permission. (I know there are ways around it, of course, but I have to do what I can.) However, I apologize if that's an inconvenience for you.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not a problem. :techman: I'll just bookmark it.

14. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Awesome news, thanks Dave! I'm looking forward to the podcast. Should we have finished the final book before we listen?

15. David Mack

^ Yes, I'd recommend finishing the series before listening to the podcasts, as they will contain serious spoilers.

16. T'Bonz

Now that I'm finished, I can go and look at the goodies!

17. YubYubCommander

YubYubCommander Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I always pictured Dr. Fischer as Morgan Freeman! I'm glad to see that he was the actor model you guys had in mind for the good doctor. Although I have to admit seeing Dorian Harewood also in the role.

18. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Was Rush part of the musical inspiration?

19. David Mack

Maybe a little bit ... but the podcast would focus on other, less obvious inspirations.

20. Min Zife

Min Zife Lieutenant Junior Grade

When is the podcast going to be available?