Mass Effect 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheBrew, Jan 22, 2010.

1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, they released the new vehicle mission today, but without achievements, I can't get myself to play it. :lol:

2. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whereas I didn't import a 60 from ME1, so I need the DLC missions to reach 30 and get that achievement. :techman:

3. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

The Hammerhead is pretty good, although there's no way to track how much damage it's taking. No shield monitor or schematic like the mako, so it'll start beeping at ya, which means it's time to haul butt outta wherever you are for a bit.

The Alt Appearance pack is good, I like that Garrus' appearance option doesn't have the damage to his suit the way his other armors do. The first time i saw Thane in his, i laughed bigtime, walk into the life support control room, and he's in sunglasses praying.

My major gripe about the DLC is that there's no conversation period. Shepard gets the new Hammerhead and doesn't say a word. It has its own VI voice (not EDI) which makes it seem like they really didn't plan this out too well.

4. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

No way.
    I liked how it was in the first game.
    Gaining knowledge of this universe through archaelogical digs and searches was fascinating. Did it needed a bit of change up sure.

But not the entire system. You guys complained on so many aspects of the game you are actually going to ruin the game itself if they keep listen to you.

Resources:
    All they needed to do is do combination of orbital scanning and Planetary mission looking for Ore. I liked the Mako I just disliked the time to get to destinations. We needed flight. If there was indeed hostiles put down the Mako...

Make it interesting by putting rival aliens going for the same resources Have orbital battles and ground missions to route out bunkered enemies. Have Normandy defend other projects.

The planetary scanning was a Great idea done wrong
    The Mako Rover was a great idea done wrong.

Ultimately both were done just to expend time...I'm okay with that but they should be tailored better. Your ship should have the ability to determine if Element Zero is AT LEAST on a planet before you waste probes.

Just my thoughts on this.

5. ATimson

...it does. Hence the scanning. Eezo is simply extremely rare. But it does show up on the scanners.

6. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Your ship has the ability to detect if the planet has rich, moderate, good, or poor amounts of resourses. It should be able to tell you what resources are down there with out the fine tooth scan. Nothing particularly detail but it should tell you if there are substantial amounts of Element Zero before you scan.

7. ATimson

That's a different complaint than your initial one of needing to use probes to find it.

8. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

9. firehawk12

That sounds worse than the ME1 DLC... where they at least got Meer/Hale to voice a few lines for each of them.

I guess that's the real problem with DLC - they just can't afford to get everyone to come back to say a few lines. Which probably means the Kasumi DLC will have no new group conversations either...

I just found it easier to start a new game and breeze through the first few missions. The extra XP boost helps a bit too.

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Downloading the Firewalker pack now. I can't say I'm surprised by the lack of new dialogue trees, it was always billed at just a set of maps and a chance to play with a vehicle.

Don't get me wrong on the Mako, on the linear missions like Feros, Novaria and Ilos where you used it, it handled just fine (aside from the odd flip) but the pure exploration missions, while stunningly beautiful could be very frustrating. At the time I thought it'd be better if there were two vehicles, the Mako and a drop ship that could pick you up, fly over a pain in the arse mountain range and set you down on the other side, but a hover tank seams like a better compromise.

I'm not sure if the non-Cerberus Network (i.e. payed) DLC will be worth it. I think Valve have spoilt me in that regard. The new recruitment mission looks like fun, but I suspect it'll be just as shallow and ultimately meaningless as the 'Zaeed' pack. Somehow, I doubt any of the add-on characters are likely to appear in ME3 (even assuming you don't get them killed) which, let's be honest is what this is all building to...ok, maybe you'll get an email from each of them, but still, it's just window dressing.

11. firehawk12

That's the problem with charging for Kasumi - they can't assume that everyone has her, which means in ME3 she can't be an important part of the story (assuming they don't just put all the characters into the periphery like they did with all the returning ME1 characters). I'd almost rather they charged for the Firewalker thing instead.

12. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Umm....is there a BioWare spy here that I'm unaware of...cause if there is....

Get rid of the resource crap. That is all.

13. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

If there is tell them to stop listening to the fans and do it like Halo, stay true the original game and change only what you need.

14. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Luckily for us, BioWare did listen to the fans. Most of the improvements made to the game were great. Listening to criticism is why they are such a great company

15. ATimson

Good. Hopefully they'll listen and not have Mass Effect 3's story spit in the face of anybody who went Paragon in the first game. ;)

16. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

I didn't go Paragon so I don't know what you're talking about :lol:
    Was there a plot issue that cropped up,sort of like the dragon age awakening issues?

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I did go paragon and I'm not sure either. The thing that struck me as somewhat incongruous was that my femshep was a sole survivor and it turned out in ME1 that her squad was wiped out by Cerberus. Even if the story necessitates working with them, there should have been the option for a much stronger reaction for Sheps with that history. Still, that's relatively minor.

18. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That, and stuff like Conrad acting like you were mean to him regardless of being Renegade or Paragon.

19. ATimson

Short version: my character despises Cerberus. If not for being a sole survivor whose squad was killed by them, then for what they did to Admiral Kohoku.

And now I'm working for them? Only because I've been smashed flat by the plot railroad. :p

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Ah, well I smacked him upside his head every time so I didn't know if doing otherwise made a difference. Actually, having said that, I thought I read somewhere that if you encourage him in ME1 that later you hear in one of those lift news reports that he'd gotten himself killed.