MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Why do I have the bad feeling that the Braves season is running a direct parallel to last year?

2. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Braves have won 7 out of the last 12. Simply ran into a hot Milwaukee team. I expect to go 10-8 over the last 18 games. The Phillies are legitimately making a push, and that's what worries me.

3. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    The Phillies' recent run has been pretty remarkable. I'm holding out hope that they can squeak in, but I don't really think it will happen. They needed this turn around to start a week or two earlier.

I've been bored, and made these for a Phillies message board I'm a member at:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Starbreaker

God knows I hate the Phillies, but with 7 straight games against the Astros and Mets, they could easily go 7-0.

5. Ruaidhri

You can take some solace in the fact that the Phillies have a losing record in Houston over the last few years. It doesn't seem to matter how bad the Astros are, the Phils struggle with them on the road. The rookie, Cloyd, pitches tonight on short rest, so I would expect them to go to the bullpen pretty early.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And the Mets have been surprisingly good against the Phillies this year, haven't they?

7. Use of Time

Yeah, I think they will hang on but I don't like a one and done playoff. This team needs to start swinging it. A right handed bat is an absolute must this off season. We should have some money freeing up too seeing as how Chipper and Lowe come off the books.

8. Ruaidhri

Yeah, I believe the Phillies have a losing record against the Mets this year. Which, I will say, really, really stings. ;)

9. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Don't worry, that was earlier when they thought they had a chance. After going to the game on Tuesday night, you should be able to take at least two.

10. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

It's easier when you just accept that the NL wild card race is essentially a cripple fight.

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Except when the Wild Card ends up winning it. Baseball is a marathon, but it's won by a sprinter.

I still think the Phils have too far to go, but they're certainly doing their best to get my hopes up.

12. Ruaidhri

Aaaaaand they lose to the 'Stros last night and drop back a game. Damn Houston. :p

13. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm on board with this. There was this horrible 'black for no reason' fad in the late 90s that is finally going away. I guess it was popular for merchandising at the time, but it's dreadful to look at.

Everyone knows here I'm a Mets fan, despite my better judgment. I think they have a much cleaner look now that they dropped the black this season. For a few years, they really rammed that look down your throat.

It's tough to really fuck up a baseball uniform, but teams like the Marlins show it is possible. Now the NFL on the other hand, I could go on all day about some of the crappy looks they throw out there.

14. Use of Time

Listening to the Nationals broadcast team is absolute torture. A few gems from last night. Such ridiculous homerism amped up even more now that they are actually winning.

1. Andrelton Simmons hits a single, rounds the bag and stares down Ian Desmond. Desmond doesn't like this and whips the ball towards first base. F.P. Santangelo calls this a "heads up play" by Desmond. Really? The way I see it Simmons just baited your young shortstop into whipping the ball across the infield when he had no chance at catching Simmons.

2. Uggla draws a walk and the guy says that Uggla doesn't walk much. Uggla hasn't done much this year but he is second in the NL in walks. :wtf:

3. Heyward beats out a ground ball to first but is called out. Santangelo says the Nats may have caught a break there. Roger Bernadina is called out on an inside fastball from Medlan and Santangelo proceeds to lose his mind saying that missed calls like that can change a game and blah blah blah.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Not as bad as Ken Harrelson, though, are they? :lol:

16. Use of Time

Nobody is as bad as Ken Harrelson. I saw a clip from last month where Detroit hit a walkoff bomb against the Sox and there was basically dead air for the rest of the telecast because Harrelson was too busy seething to even make the call for the other team. I feel that his days are numbered. He is a few more rants away from being forced into retirement.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

^ You think that was bad, listen to this:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Qlx_2OVV8[/yt]

18. Starbreaker

The most torturous thing I ever sat through was listening to the Diamondbacks radio announcers. They couldn't pronounce anyone's name. They were just straight up butchering every Hispanic name involved in the game.

19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Yu Darvish hits the 200 strikeout plateau. Added to a 15-9 record (so far), he's gotta have a good shot at rookie of the year.

A lot of the national broadcast guys are like that.

I can't remember which ones right now, but whoever was covering the games last time the Cubs were in the playoffs were terrible.

Might have been Jon Miller.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Jon Miller is fairly decent (his call of Ruben Rivera's base running blunder is pure gold :guffaw: ) but Joe Morgan should never be allowed near a microphone again.