DC:TOS Who Killed Captain Kirk?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's one bit in this story that I wonder if anything was ever followed up on it: After Castille (the telepathic Mentite) trapped the crew in an illusion of Dante's Inferno because of his illness, of course he was later treated and cured. But what about the rest of the crew? Surely being trapped in even an illusion of Hell would be traumatic in the extreme. Did any of the crew suffer any ill effects because of this? Did anyone suffer so much trauma that they would blame Castille and try to get revenge on him because of it? I'm just curious if any novel or comic ever followed up on this point.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Re: Who Killed Captain Kirk?

Well, that storyline was scuttled because of the Richard Arnold crackdown on continuity, so none of its characters or concepts got any followup.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The bridge did it.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I love those old DC Comics! Good times. I wish the crew heading up the current Trek comics were as inventive as the writers from the late 80's/early 90's.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Damn. I would have loved some.

If I was Castille I would be high tailing it off the ship as soon as this thing was all over. There's likely to be dozens of shell shocked crewmembers just waiting for a piece of him after he literally sent them to hell.

6. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Can someone tell me what this is from so I can edit the title?

ta :)

7. Mr. Laser Beam

It was a storyline from the comics.

8. trampledamage

Which comics? BillJ's talking old DC Comics - was there just the one series from DC?

I'd like to add something to the title that says where this story comes from.

Or I can add it to your original post if you want - it's just your post meant nothing to me!

9. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There were two TOS series from DC, one which ran from 1983 (just after the release of The Wrath of Khan) to late 1988, followed by a relaunch in the summer of 1989 with a brand-new #1 issue, and covering the years between The Final Frontier and The Undiscovered Country.

This particular storyline was basically the last major story-arc in the Vol. 1 series prior to the relaunch, taking place across issues #49-55 (set later in 2286, between The Voyage Home and The Final Frontier, aboard the Enterprise-A):

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Who_Killed_Captain_Kirk%3F

10. trampledamage

If DC:TOS doesn't suit as an abbreviation, let me know - just wanted to add some context to the conversation :)

11. Christopher

What always bugged me about the Who Killed Captain Kirk? trade paperback is that it collected all but the first issue of Peter David's 8-issue run on ST Volume 1. So it felt incomplete to me.

12. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Likewise. That's the one issue of Star Trek Comics written by PAD that has -- to my knowledge -- never been collected in a trade paperback. It was pretty difficult to track down in a single issue format but I managed to snag a copy a few years ago.

Anyone know a behind-the-scenes reason why this sole issue has been consistently omitted from any comics trade collection?

13. Christopher

Perhaps because it was essentially a prologue to the main adventure plotline that kicks into full gear in the next issue. Which doesn't really make sense, because it's important in setting the character plotlines of the arc into motion.

My best guess is that DC omitted it in the first collection because a 7-issue TPB was more affordable to print and to buy than an 8-issue one. Or maybe somebody along the line felt that the bachelor-party plot of the issue was too raunchy or undignified or something. And I figure that when IDW later re-collected it, they just unthinkingly followed DC's precedent.

14. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

IDW put together a collected edition of classic material without thinking? Surely not!

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Heartbreaker. :sigh:

;)