Spoilers DTI: Watching the Clock by C. L. Bennett Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Thrawn, Apr 18, 2011.

?

Rate DTI: Watching The Clock

1. Outstanding

100 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. Above Average

44 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. Average

14 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Below Average

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  5. Poor

7 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Star Trek: DTI: Watching The Clock Review Thread

Ah, I guess you could look at it that way too. I'm just a big fan of time travel stories, so no matter how you look at it, I'm really excited.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Feel free to use spoiler boxes.

I think I know what character you're referring to there, and I'm actually not too happy with the similarity. Once I realized I was in danger of repeating myself, I tried to make the character as distinct as I could, within the limits of the story I was committed to telling.

3. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

Ok, I just didn't want to be pilloried by the thread.

Yes,
    Lirahn
    did seem a bit of a retake on Ariel from the Buried Age in both character and plot. I'm not unhappy about it. Different enough, but the two characters did seem to be very much cut from the same pattern.

Second,
    The Defence Force of Delta recruits people on the basis that they get off on violence as a fetish. :guffaw:
    . You're going to [in]famous for that one. ;)

Third I was glad to see that the Carnelians made a return. I like them. I want to see more of them. Glad they were worked in.

Fourth, what is it with you and cybernetic cellular implants and cybernetic organisms in general? First the Choblik, then the Manraloth, now the
    Selakar
    . And then
    the 29th Century TIC troops went into battle with temporary cybernetic implants.
    It seems to be a favourite character type of yours. I like it too, I just wonder why you choose to use that type of character.

Fifth,
    Jenna Noi. Loved everything about her. Also a bit of an Ariel character cast into the Federation mould, I thought.

Finally,
    The two Presidents Baccos. One in bed wearing a Pike City pioneers jersey. :rofl:. That was a great scene of characterization. It was fun, it was great writing, it was DTI to the core.

4. Christopher

Well, the major difference is that
    Ariel was more of a Well-Intentioned Extremist whereas Lirahn is simply power-hungry. If anything, with Lirahn I wanted to go against my usual pattern of writing antagonists and feature one who was an out-and-out villain. Though I ended up portraying the other major villain in the book the same way, so I wondered in retrospect if maybe I should've gone a different route with Lirahn.

I guess they both use their superior intellect and personal allure to manipulate people, but with Ariel it was subtler. Lirahn is much cruder and more blatant about it, more coercive, in that she actually imposes her will telepathically rather than simply being ultra-persuasive in her speech and body language.

Well,
    Gateways: Doors into Chaos gave us our first look at the Deltan defense forces and portrayed them as fairly aggressive, putting forth the idea that Deltans embrace all their passions equally. I was just trying to find a way to reconcile that with the more serene portrayal of Deltans I was building on from the development notes for TMP.

Well, those have different origins. The Choblik were a race I created for my original SF back in the '80s; at first I just wanted them to be terrific engineers, and eventually it occurred to me that it would fit their mindset if they modified their own bodies with technology. I later refined that into the version of the Choblik seen in my Trek fiction. As for the Manraloth and the
    Zcham (not the Selakar),
    I just figure the integration of technology with biology is the future. We're already at the point where the line between nanotechnology and biotechnology is blurring -- researchers are making nanostructures out of DNA molecules, things like that. So I figure eventually the distinction will be blurred to the point of meaninglessness, that biology and technology will be one. (I think the Borg are a really, really crude way of portraying cybernetic organisms -- it was an obsolete portrayal when it was new.)

Besides, it's just different. We've seen so many hyper-advanced Trek races that evolve huge brains and psi powers or go incorporeal or whatever. It's a cliche, and it's evolutionarily silly. So when I deal with hyper-advanced species, I want to do something different from the convention.

As for the
    future security troops, I actually based them on the security forces from the unsold Final Frontier animated series proposal that was in the news a few years back, with 26th-century security officers using "bugs," cybernetic implants derived from Borg technology, to link their minds. There's another more direct reference to that later on.

Not sure what you mean by that.
    How is Jena like Ariel? She's not really a seductive or manipulative character (although she could be maybe a little depending on how you read the "talk in the shower" scene with Shelan), and not misrepresenting her agendas beyond keeping certain things secret.

But I'm glad you liked the character. I really enjoyed writing her.

5. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

Well, I see the Manraloth, the
    Zcham, thanks
    , the Borg and the Caeliar as all takes the same meme, the integration of biology and technology and what it means for a species. David Mack went down that road with the Caeliar and their catoms. I see real parallels with Erika Hernandez and the Change and how the Choblik develop and grow. Hernandez really does go through a regression to the womb and that exactly how she describes her experience with the Gestalt.

And yes, I was reading the shower scene that way.

I agree the Borg were old even when they were new.

6. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

what no bill and ted in the DTI :nyah::nyah::nyah:

Looking forward to this book all ready pre paid for my copy.

7. Christopher

Which is actually not how I intended it, but it's not an interpretation I have a problem with... :D

8. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Mine shipped today. Very excited.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Bogus! :scream:
    ;)

10. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe you expect George Carlin, as well??

11. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm about 100 pages in. So far I'm still a bit on the fence, there are some things I like (basically the character building), but on the other hand I'm already a bit bored by the temporal physics stuff. It doesn't help that there was little actually story yet, either. But there are still about 400 pages left, so maybe the novel will pick up speed soon.

12. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Well, that was a satisfying read. Good characterization, lots of thought and creativity, and long-awaited answers to some big questions.

But.

Chakras? Seriously?

I know, silly to fixate on one reference in so big a book, but still, it threw me.

13. Christopher

Why not? If nothing else, it served as a suitably PG-rated metaphor for the idea I was suggesting (if you consider what those particular chakras are associated with).

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doesn't seem particularly chak-ing to me.

(Actually I think Eav'oq jokes are funnier...)

15. Desert Kris

Desert Kris Captain Captain

Does Watching The Clock have ideas on where the new Star Trek movie fits in with the rest of ST history, and if so, can we talk about that here (and would it have to be under spoilers)?

16. Christopher

Well, I'm not sure what the question is; we know where it fits with the rest of ST history from the movie itself. It's an alternate timeline created in 2233 when Nero arrived from 2387.

But since my novel is set in 2381-2, and since the inhabitants of the Prime timeline would have no knowledge of the existence of the Abramsverse even after 2387 (since as far as any observer could tell, the Narada and Spock simply fell into a black hole), there's no overt discussion of the Abramsverse. However, there are a couple of bits of theoretical discussion that are implicitly relevant.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does the book answer any of the questions about the Temporal Cold War that Enterprise never answered? Like who Future Guy is or anything like that? (I don't need the answer(s), I'm just wondering if any are provided)

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope so. Would the Paramount brass even LET him reveal who Future Guy is?

19. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It would be nice since I duobt they (Paramount) will ever touch the subject again.

20. Christopher

^Well, it's CBS that owns Trek now.

And I'll just say that the book explains lots of things and I didn't have any trouble with the studio.