Behr/Moore Interview: [Picard] doesn't do enough f**king and fighting

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by FrontierTrek, May 18, 2013.

1. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Re: Behr/Moore Interview: [Picard] doesn't do enough f**king and fight

I haven't been able to watch the video, but the transcript attributes those comments to Ira Steven Behr, not Ronald D. Moore. It also appears that Roddenberry was repeating his star's desires ("Patrick wants to get laid; he doesn't do enough fighting and fucking."). Since Moore wasn't in the room, and Behr also had a contentious meeting with Stewart after meeting with Roddenberry, I wonder if he just didn't misunderstand the facts at the time.

(On the other hand, it has been more than two decades. Do you have the old quote from Moore?)

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't mind them making Picard a bit more physical and active in the second half of the series, because I think Stewart had a point in one of the archival interviews that Picard needed to do more than just be a negotiator or stand around on the bridge or ready room giving speeches.

But the movies unfortunately just went completely overboard with the action. To the point where it actually started to look ridiculous to see Picard running around with a phaser rifle and climbing up steel girders after bad guys.

It just didn't feel like Picard at all.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not to mention punching Rom's clone just seems akin to kicking an ugly helpless puppy

somebuddyX likes this.
  4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

They established early on that the captain doesn't go on away missions, so there weren't a ton of opportunities to give Picard action. Also whenever he was of the ship, he was surrounded by an android and a klingon so he didn't need to do any fighting.

They basically had to separate him from the rest of the crew any time they wanted him to fight anyone. Starship Mine was the only real opportunity they created for that.

Then yeah, in the movies they had a 70 year old man climbing up metal structures. That was a bit silly.

I think it's implied that Picard was more Kirk-like for a little while even after he was stabbed through the heart. The point of the episode was that if he weren't Kirk-like enough to get stabbed he would have never been noticed enough to become a command officer.

5. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Certainly in his new commentary on The Bonding Moore talks about Stewart telling him this, so in this video (which I can't watch either) it could well be Behr, or even something as simple as a brain fart on Moore's part.

On the other hand, there clearly was a push in the third season to try and placate Patrick Stewart and keep him on the show, so Gene could well have been encouraging writers to up the sex and violence for Picard as well.

6. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

FC actually too, because initially Riker was on the ship fighting the Borg and Picard was on the planet. Stewart asked during a meeting, why the captain wasnt on the ship and was fighting the Borg and then they switched Riker and Picard.