The Continuity and Serialization of Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by DigificWriter, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

In Season One they may have attempted to follow that book.

Then the dug a hole, tossed the bible in.

Pissed on it and filled up the hole.

Maquis tensions were resolved by the the second episode.

But what about To Tuvok with Love?

That was because they sucked at their job, not because they were ideologically repulsive.

Imagine if they had left Tuvok to die in that fire?

Wouldn't that have showed janeway what the servant class really thought of her from steerage?

I often wonder if that line in Life Line about Janeway dealing with the Maquis was written by Picardo, or added by the producers when they were shining up his stories and working it into continuity.

And the Doctor was as Human as he was going to get in the Viking episode.

You know what they also said before the show started...

"We have a leading man, a great leading man, a romantic counter part for Janeway, and his name is Tom Paris."

Here's a pdf of the bible.

http://www.google.co.nz/url?q=http:...sQFjAE&usg=AFQjCNFlduf0s0a_9Ag8_Wo5QTlNzm6b_w

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well, considering "Threshold" I'd say they did end up doing something with the "Romantic Counterpart for Janeway" thing with Paris...

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I suppose I just don't see the difference between the two series. "I, Borg" contains all the information you need without having to have seen "The Best of Both Worlds" or "Family," but it doesn't hurt to have experienced that backstory. Sito Jaxa's death in "Lower Decks" doesn't require you to have seen "The First Duty" for it to have an impact -- but I think the added history helps.

I see Star Trek: Voyager the same way. "Faces" doesn't need you to have seen "Phage" (actually, thinking about it, I'd say that backstory is even less essential than the TNG episodes in my comparison). Having met Peter Durst in "Cathexis" makes him feel more like a member of the crew in "Faces," rather than just anther red (or yellow) shirt, but it's not essential backstory.

They just seem the same to me -- and, actually, having reflected upon these examples, Voyager appears to be the shallower series.

4. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My first thought when I read the thread title is that my viewing of Voyager at the time was sporadic for various reasons, not least that the local tv station with the rights was dragging their heels a few seasons behind, and showing them in a after-midnight slot to boot, so my primary way of seeing it was in fits and starts whenever a new VHS tape turned up at the local Blockbuster, which in itself was infrequent.

But my point is, even then, it struck me how serialized it felt to me in terms of character progression. I remember coming onto a forum and gushing quite a lot about how impressed I was with the Hirogen arc in particular. Although I now know it only lasted for about six episodes in total, at the time I think I only got to see a few of them at a time over the course of maybe six months or something, so the whole thing actually felt pretty damn epic to me at the time. :techman:

Same with Be'lanna/Tom romance. I really liked the way it developed. Felt like a proper arc to me.

(Not so much Seven/Chuckles, but hey ho, you can't have everything with cream on it.)

5. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

The whole Starfleet/Maquis conflict should have been the arc for the first season, that by the end of the season they become a family and whatever major issues were between them had dissipated after successfully evading the Kazon once and for all.

6. Guy Gardener

So if I hunted some of you for months, then tried to kill you all repeatedly, you'd all be perfectly fine cohabitating with me in an oversized RV and cleaning my laundry and serving my food?

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doesn't that describe some of these threads?

8. Guy Gardener

I keep my annoyingness confined to a couple key threads.

You couldn't even begin to understand the freedom I afford y'all.

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The Maquis and Feds were not diehard enemies, the Maquis and Cardassians were. The Feds didn't go out of their way to kill the Maquis nor did the Maquis feel that way to the Feds. There was some conflict, but not a real hatred.

It wouldn't have made sense for them to remain adversarial for more than a year or so. After that, if they couldn't learn to work together they'd be dead meat. They'd all realize this.

10. Guy Gardener

What do you think that tricobolt device was for?

That weapon was mission specific.

Janeway was going to destroy Chakotay's base/moon/planet and howsomany other ships and soldiers attached to that site numbering possibly into the thousands.

And who knows how many Maquis were going to be planet bound when she struck?

becuase she barely had room for the 20 prisoners she took.

It's like asking what chance the Enola Gay would have had of subduing Hiroshima with conventional weapons?

11. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I was putting together a list of the various thematic narrative arcs or 'arc threads' that Voyager dealt with over the course of its 7 seasons, and identified 20 episodes (5 in Season 1; 8 in Season 2; 2 in Season 3; 1 in Season 4; 1 in Season 5; 2 in Season 6; and 1 in Season 7) that dealt, either directly or indirectly, with Maquis-related themes.

For reference's sake, I'm listing those episodes below:
    Season 1
    Caretaker
    Parallax
    Prime Factors
    State of Flux
    Learning Curve

Season 2
    Maneuvers
    Alliances
    Threshold
    Meld
    Dreadnought
    Lifesigns
    Investigations
    Basics, Part 1

Season 3
    Basics, Part 2
    Worst Case Scenario

Season 4
    Hunters

Season 5
    Extreme Risk

Season 6
    The Voyager Conspiracy
    Life Line

Season 7
    Repression

20 episodes out of 168 might not seem like a lot on the surface, but it surpasses the number of episodes from both TNG and DS9 combined that dealt either directly or indirectly with the same subject.

BTW, the Maquis thematic narrative also has, I believe, the second-most amount of episodes dedicated to it of any of the thematic narrative arcs with which Voyager dealt, surpassed only by the thematic narrative arc/arc thread of Borg-related episodes (of which there were 22)

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

It was a plot device, just like how the TOS Enterprise always had the right equipment to do whatever they needed for resolutions (just happening to have an antimatter bomb in "Obsession" and stuff).

They had bad intelligence over how many Maquis there were, and most likely would've just kept the Maquis ship intact to house some of them for the trip back.

13. Guy Gardener

Digfic, by your rules, every episode with a Maquis in it, is part of the Maquis arc.

So that's a 168 episode long arc where they only mention 20 times that the arc is happening.

That's some serious stealth.

14. teacake

That's terrorists for you.

15. Guy Gardener

For me? Why, thank you very much. :)

16. teacake

Maybe they can make you some sammiches.

17. Guy Gardener

Vegemite for everyone!

18. teacake

When God gives me my RV full of terrorists and people I have hunted like bargains (all of whom will be my slaves) there will be only impossibly complicated sandwiches, to keep the slaves' minds occupied. Challenged, even.

19. Guy Gardener

Slavery is legal in Australia again?

Cool.

20. teacake

With God, everything is possible.