Ray's TAS shuttlecraft...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Warped9, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

My shuttlecraft projects are still alive and progressive...albeit sometimes in a seemingly glacial manner.

At any rate even as I continue working on my TOS Class F shuttlecraft schematics and scratchbuild model I've also been keeping a hand in pushing my TAS adaptations forward. Those of you who have been following my shuttlecraft works may recall that I gone through easily four major design concepts in trying to fashion a "realistic' TOS live-action version of the shuttlecraft designs seen in TAS' "The Slaver Weapon," "Mudd's Passion" and the aquashuttle in "The Ambergris Element."

Previous versions all had something to recommend them...except a major element always bothered me to some extent or other: no matter how interesting the design it just didn't resonate enough to evoke the original TAS design. And so I'd go back to the drawing board and sketchpad to try again. This time I swore to make it work and not commit to detailed and scaled drawings until I got something I was satisfied with.

It's understood that a "real" version of the TAS shuttlecraft will never be exactly as seen onscreen. The TAS designs are way off scale, being much too large and with exaggerated proportions. They also lack a lot of detail. But I still think I can make them work. Even though they will depart from the onscreen versions to some extent they should still be immediately recognizable.

And here is my final attempt:

[​IMG]

Note this is not the only drawing I have. While still a work-in-progress it's just one image from the multiple view schematics that are nearing completion. And I will be rendering them in the same sheet styles as my TOS shuttlecraft drawings. Note also there is still some intended detail yet to be added to this drawing. I can say that like the onscreen version it has an aft access hatch, but it doesn't function like the one seen onscreen. That one operated like many of the familiar doors seen aboard the Enterprise. Instead this one opens in two parts with a swing down gangway and an upward swinging upper panel. The vehicle's interior is meant to accommodate up to four people since this is meant as a small fast transport craft. The onscreen versions tended to be rather sharp edged looking designs and spare in detail. My intention is to soften the overall look to some extent, round off the edges some and add some much needed detail where appropriate.

The crewman included in the image represents someone about 5'-10" or 1.778m. to give the image a sense of scale. I don't have any hard dimensions yet, but they are forthcoming. Presently I estimate this design to be perhaps 35ft. in length. I've given the craft a starbase registry to underline the idea that these designs are specialized craft assigned to starbases and outposts and loaned out to deep space starships for specific missions.

Stay tuned.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Absolutely fascinating! Great artwork.

The Class F is a neat design, but it would make more sense if the TOS/TAS universe had a little more variety in small, embarked craft designs.

Have you given your new baby any class nomenclature yet?

Since you are designating this a base/station-based craft, I take it you don't regard it as compatible with the Enterprise's turntable-elevator, correct?

You traded the long-and-thin nacelles of the Class F for short-and-fat ones for this ship, right?

Love those details. Looks familial with the Class F while not being too familiar.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The nacelles used here are essentially the Class F's but shortened and fattened a bit and some of the detailing will be similar to get something of a familiar tech look. Same with the TOS era signage.

These designs are meant to fit into a starship's flight deck area for temporary accommodation when needed for specific missions. The scoutship above would be roughly analogous to a DS9 era runabout and thus be faster and have longer range than a standard Class F. The scoutship's main function would be fast transport for starbase personnel to get to other nearby worlds and systems as well as for deep space rendezvous with other starships.

Presently I'm classifying as such:
    Class F - general multi-purpose shuttlecraft (TOS)
    Class J - fast long-range scoutship ("Slaver Weapon")
    Class L - heavy lander ("Mudd's Passion") - For surveying high gravity and extreme environments. Low warp capable.
    Class M - aquashuttle ("The Ambergris Element") - For surveying aquatic environments. Non warp capable.

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Some progression and added detail...with more to come. There are bits to be added to the landing struts and some overall hull detail. I made one small correction since the starbase mentioned in "Slaver Weapon" is Starbase 25 rather than 27.

[​IMG]

One thing to note is that I cannot think of a way to add impulse engines to this without really changing it. Of course when this was first drawn by the animators it's likely no thought was given to this. I would be curious to know if the TAS designs were something they just thought of an the spot or if someone had actually sketched out ideas for them. It would be very interesting to see concept sketches of the new ship designs seen in TAS as well as for the aliens too. Anyway I'm thinking of taking a page from TMP's shuttlecraft and having the ship able to go sublight by antigravity drive. That would be that object you can just partly see under the main hull behind the support struts. I thought I could put it there since it isn't an area we got a good look at onscreen except perhaps for one quick shot.

I must say I prefer the cleaner look of the nacelles without the bits I added on top, but there is something like that on the original version although onscreen they look too much the the Enterprise's nacelles and so I simplified them for what is supposed to be a high-speed shuttlecraft.

I've tried to keep the essential concept of the original while shortening it in length and softening some of the sharp lines and angularity of it. It also won't be as spacious inside as what we saw onscreen. I solved the forward viewport sightline problem by envisioning the forward flight control area as a sort of elevated cockpit where you have to step up slightly from the aft area into a forward section where you cannot stand upright. Consequently this allows me some extra space under the deck for mechanicals. While thinking this through I learned from my drawing of the Class F and wanted to allow between hulls space for the craft's guts. The only place about the hull where there'll be no room for mechanicals will be the main viewport.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  5. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Just a minor, silly nitpick:

Should starbase-based ships use registries with something other than the "NCC" prefix? Just a thought.

6. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, we only have one example as far as I know, from the remastered shows... how did they do it on there?

7. WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

SB-11/xx I think?

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Here's a thought: I couldn't care less what TOS-R did. But it is a notion I'll consider.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I was thinking about the registry and it can make some sort of sense. Just at a glance you'd be able to know from where the shuttlecraft originated. Of course there's also the matter that the craft's origin is also on the hull be it U.S.S. Whatever or a starbase.

10. Cary L. Brown

Yeah... the idea of SB 11 /41 (or whatever)... that would be the 41st small craft assigned to Starbase 11 ... makes perfect sense.

And a Starbase would have a LOT of assigned craft. That we saw a shuttle with a low number is mainly, most likely, because that was the craft reserved for senior personnel (like, say, a Commodore).

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've decided to go with SB-7315/12. I chose that because "Slaver Weapon" was first aired on December 15tth, 1973. Also I think that shuttlecraft's number was 12 although I could be wrong.

12. WinstonSmith

just curious, is there any similar system for classifying embarked craft in real militaries? and the star trek registry system has always been rather silly; what's the point of having NCC if there isn't any other designation? the USS indicates it's naval, so it can't be that... it serves no rational purpose unless there are other alternative classifications...

sorry for ranting, but it's just something that irks me...

13. Cary L. Brown

Well, I've always like the idea that "NCC" stands for "navigational contact code." This is basically the key designator broadcast by a Starfleet ship to identify itself to other starfleet ships (and friendly or neutral non-starfleet ships... as well as hostiles, when appropriate under OPSEC rules, I guess).

That's not "canon" any more than "naval construction contract" is "canon." But it's the explanation I like the best.

This explains why a ship might be broadcasting a different sequence... an NX tells anyone who flies by that this ship is "experimental," for instance.

We've seen several prefixes, however... canonically, here's what we've seen, and the first time we saw it:

Registry Codes and Ship Types

• NX Federation, Starfleet, Experimental (USS Excelsior, NX-2000) ST III:TSFS
    • NAR Federation, non-Starfleet, Research (SS Vico, NAR-18834) TNG "Hero Worship"
    • NCC Federation, Starfleet, Active service (USS Enterprise, NCC-1701) TOS
    • NDT Federation, non-Starfleet, Transport (SS Milan, NDT-50863) TNG "New Ground"
    • NFT Federation (Lakul, NFT-7793) ST:G, Nemecek
    • NGL Federation, non-Starfleet, Freighter (SS Odin, NGL-12535) TNG "Angel One"
    • NSP Federation, Vulcan, Science (T'Pau, NSP-17938) TNG "Unification: Part I"

14. WinstonSmith

hmm... yes, I see what you're saying. it just seems rather strange to me to paint it in huge letters on the side of the ship if it essentially goes without saying that it's NCC. why not simply slap an "X" (or whatever specific type) on the side of those special cases that aren't? I must admit though, your idea of "navigational contact code" works a lot better than the oft quoted "naval construction contract" (why would you have a naval contract for a civilian freighter?)

anyway, thanks for your thoughts, I'll shut up now and stop derailing the thread :)

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Threads like these can diverge into tangent points of discussion. The idea of "navigational contact code" isn't a new idea although I can't recall when I first heard of it many years ago. I can say that it's an interesting idea and does add some extra texture to the Trek universe.

16. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Then again, another idea might be that the reason that registries are all over the place, especially early on (other than the fact that not enough thought was put into them in the first place) was because they were assigned somewhat according to class and/or vessel type. I don't remember exactly where I read this, but it could be a factor in how registries got assigned.

I've run into quite a few registries that have been assigned to starbases, which are in the 6000-range; such as Starbase One NCC-6042 and of course Starbase 25 NCC-6608. Perhaps this means that Starbases, at least for a certain amount of time, were assigned registries within the 6000 range.

17. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm still sort of opposed to making the Copernicus into a small, shipboard auxiliary, when she could more directly represent the "runabout" school of thought and be distinguished by the factors we already witnessed in the episode: a rather cavernous interior for long endurance, an overall size worthy of a long range vessel, and a complex stern structure that features exotic doorway arrangements and quite possibly also hides an elevator or a stair of some sort to allow our heroes to descend to the surface.

But if it's going to be a shipboard craft, the Copernicus is probably best described exactly as you make it look: true to the general shape and feel of the cartoon art, but with the rounded edges and solid shapes familiar from the TOS prop. An impulse engine integrated into the aft hatch would probably be fine, considering the TNG "postcedent"...

Timo Saloniemi

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

As far as I'm concerned what I'm drawing is not a vehicle for assignment to a starship as part of its regular shuttlecraft complement. Neither are the other TAS designs. They're based at starbases and outposts and can be loaned out for specific missions. As compact as I can try to make them so they can at least be parked temporarily on a starship flight deck they're still just too big to be part of the regular complement.

While I am trying to add some detail to make the design look more complete I cannot integrate an impulse engine setup (that I care for) without starting to really change the overall look of the craft. I've tried...numerous times.

Oddly I'm not that crazy about these designs. I think I could do better with a fresh design. But the point is to rationalize what we saw onscreen rather than completely re-imagining them. So I'm doing the best I can with what we were given onscreen.

19. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My two quatloos FWIW, is to regard the TAS designs as kinda like rough concept sketches and then fine tune them from that starting point?

Your design here looks great so far Warped9, though it seems impulse engines would/could be mounted on either side of the aft exit, no?

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yes. Particularly in the "Slaver Weapon" scoutship I've incorporated a touch of the Class F's wedge shape concept to it. I then shortened it considerably while trying to maintain something of the overall look of angularity albeit softened a bit. Hence the slightly curved lines rather than dead straight and rounded edges rather than sharp. Then it's a matter of adding just enough telling detail without overdoing it. I also try to interpret what I see. On the scoutship design there is something of a elongated triangle shape on the lower side of forward hull. I dismissed it being a pennant or marking. It is just too weird shaped to be a service access panel. So in a forthcoming update you'll see I've interpreted as a form of concavity in the hull, which does add some interesting visual texture and detail to the overall plain surfaces.

The heavy lander design from "Mudd's Passion" is already sketched out and while I again maintain the overall shape I rescaled it drastically. Taken at the scale the craft is shown onscreen it would never fit on the Enterprise's flight deck. As a result you'll see that the access hatchway is a lot larger than what we saw onscreen.

Considering how I intend to explain or rationalize these craft it's interesting to note that although all of them our larger overall than the familiar Class F design they're each not as mission flexible. The scout comes closet, but it's still primarily a fast long range craft. The heavy lander is specifically for surveying extreme environments and so it's a short duration vehicle with limited accommodations for no more than three personnel. It's meant to be rugged with sturdier shielding and structural enhancements and is more space friendly for specialized survey equipment rather than personnel. It's a low warp vehicle---not much more than Warp 1. And, of course, the aquashuttle has no warp capability and is strictly meant as a near space or orbit to surface (and under) craft. I haven't yet decided on its submerged capabilities.

I tried that, but what bothers me is that there really isn't a lot of room unless you start making the craft bigger, and that starts getting back into a problem of being oversized after I had just managed to get its size down to something somewhat manageable. Also note how large the Class F's impulse thrust components are in relation to its overall size or at least to what you can see from the aft end. I wanted to maintain something of that proportion when incorporating it to these designs to seem more credible and consistent with what TOS had established with its shuttlecraft. I can do it easily with the heavy lander. I don't have to do it with the aquashuttle because I'm not thinking of trying to submerge impulse engines and so the craft has an antigrav drive for atmospheric and space flight. Regarding the scoutship since I can't fit an impulse drive to my satisfaction then I'll just incorporate an antigrav drive.

Of course it should be noted that the impulse engines of the Enterprise look to be really quite small in relation to the overall size of the ship. But with a shuttlecraft I reason they can only get so small. And note that in TNG and DS9 there don't appear to actual be any visible impulse components on their shuttles and runabouts even though they make reference to them. Perhaps they also use an antigrav drive and yet still refer to it as impulse?

Note, sadly I don't know how to do 3D modeling, but it would be nice if someone would be interested in trying to computer model this and/or the others to get some idea what this would really look like. If anyone is interested than I could provide the drawings for it.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011