Latest acquisition!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Therin of Andor, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

A Ceremony of Losses. This morning Amazon still hadn't sent it out to me yet even though it should've done so a couple days back so I had to go to the bookstore to get it. For some reason I've had nothing but trouble trying to get this through Amazon.

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

"The Crimson Shadow" finally arrived Down Under on Wednesday. Book 3 of "The Fall" beat Book 2 to the shelves!

3. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek: Ongoing collection #5, plus Khan #1 and #2!

[​IMG]

4. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Is that a misprint on the Khan one? It looks like one of those "Coming Soon" covers that you see on Amazon and S&S that just feature the series logo and "Coming Soon" with no actual art.

5. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

They call this one the "Sketch Cover." But I think they forgot the sketching part?

6. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

^ They call it that because you're either supposed to sketch your own cover, or get an artist to sketch one for you.

I'm not even joking.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't realize that was a sketch cover. I've heard of them, but I always thought they were the ones that were just the inks with no color.

8. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

^ I think that what you describe is actually what the term usually refers to. My understanding is that this is just a special version that ties into IDW's Artist's Edition month.

9. Kertrats47

Yeah, the clerk at the comic store said you're supposed to take them to conventions or signings and get the artist to do a custom cover for you. The cover art is just on the inside, so I was okay with it. I'm not a big comic guy, so I have to admit I was pretty confused at the sight of the blank covers!

10. Therin of Andor

There is also a regular sketch cover for this issue. It's a creamy colour background for the "pencils" this time, and with stark white "paste-up" lettering. Looks great!

I received notice that "The Fall: The Poisoned Chalice" by James Swallow was out this week in Sydney, and ready for me to collect. Galaxy Bookshop also had Paul Ruditis' "A Very Klingon Khristmas" hardcover picture book, which is rather clever/amusing, with some great artwork by Patrick Faricy.

[​IMG]
    Klingons by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

11. GENERAL_DS

GENERAL_DS Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I just ordered the crimson shadow, a ceremony of losses and the poisoned chalice. Too bad they wil arrive at 03-12-13, it will try my patience a little. Its annoying that most Star Trek books i want to get aren't in stock.

When i am finished with the fall i will pick up Star Trek: Destiny. I think there is a book that holds all 3 book in 1 cover, but i am not sure if i should get the collection or all the individual books. What do you people think? A couple of bucks isn't really an issue.

12. Kertrats47

According to author David Mack, there were a few small revisions made when the stories were collected in the omnibus. I know he recommends picking up the omnibus as opposed to the individual editions. I've only ever read the stand-alones, though.

13. GENERAL_DS

GENERAL_DS Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I think i'll go for the omnibus then, the only reason i would go for the individual editions is because of the cover art.

14. Therin of Andor

Woohoo! Galaxy Bookshop, Sydney, just emailed me: "I thought I'd let you know before everyone else that we have a copy of the Stellar Cartography in stock... I'm sure you already know that it contains maps from the Starfleet Reference Library."

15. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman:Yesterday I got my copy of The Poisoned Chalice by James Swallow a terrific follow up to the Ceremony of losses.This whole series of books has had amazing stories .Also some of the best books I've read this year.:bolian:

16. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

The Poisoned Chalice's Kindle edition went on sale today for $4.78 - w00t!

17. sportzkid

sportzkid Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like many people here I bet, my most recent book purchase was The Poisoned Chalice by James Swallow. Already a few pages into it so will see how it goes.

18. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

The poisoned chalice. I'm not ready to read it yet. I'm still making my way through the typhoon pact at the moment.

19. Therin of Andor

I don't think I knew this was coming:

[​IMG]
    Mr Spock: Logic and Prosperity Box by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

It has an August 2013 publication date, but stock arrived at Galaxy, Sydney, this week! The little book contains 20 double spread pics of captioned Spock quotes. It slips into a cavity in the thick cardboard stand. Introduction by Steve Mockus, book design by Neil Egan, bust sculpt by Gentle Giant. ISBN 978-1-4521-2450-6

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I don't find that very logical...