(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Midfield will be the least of our problems in the next few years - the defense will pose a much larger concern. Don't rate our centre halves, and Johnson's a liability at RB. Cole is the only real quality we have in that defense, when he hangs up his boots it's over to Baines, and then we're fcuked across the back four.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Oh look "Spain" wins another cup, under 21's this time. Ah I remember when international football was fun ;)

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Thiago to sit on the bench at Bayern, while Barcelona then consider another midfielder to Utd...talk about wafer thin squad?

Surely they will not sell Fabregas.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Does seem unlikely, but then maybe they're planning on signing someone else?

Have to say I'm quite looking forward to this coming season (both in the prem and the championship) New bosses at Utd and City, Jose back at Chelsea, Arsenal spending lots of money (though I will believe it when I see it)

5. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can't wait for the season to get underway now.

Went to Vale on Tuesday night. We played our reserves for the first hour, and then the first team for the last half hour. Vale won't be many team's mugs this year, but our first team made them look ridiculously inept. Best I can ever remember us knocking the ball about at will. Looks like plenty of hard work has gone in over the summer. Hughes and Hendrick look even better than last season, Russell looks like a quality striker, Grant could well be the rock in the sticks that we haven't had since Poom. Talks with Brayford next week, if he signs then we're looking very good. Probably need a loanee centre-half to tide us over until O'Brien and Barker are back, but beyond that we look solid all through the side.

All being well another couple of inevitable Brian Clough trophy wins and 11-in-a-row over 'the dirties' will be the least we can expect...... ;)

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Barcelona's coach has stepped down to his ill health :( not a good sport to be in with his medical record, stress alone. I wonder who will fill that role? internal promotion again maybe.

7. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

8. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

So the new season of Ligue 1 started this week-end. It's actually very exciting with Monaco and PSG this year.
    Monaco, Lyon and Marseille did very well for their 1st match. Paris, as usual, is slower but they should be ready for the end of the month.
    *excited*

9. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

^^
    Congrats to your championnat last year (if I haven't said so yet, I don't remember ;)), I don't actually hate PSG, although they did steal the only opportunity my club will ever have at winning a European Cup trophy. :D

Anyway, I'm kind of hopeful for this season too; just a matter of time until my spirit gets crushed once again and I start hating this sport.

10. Shaytan

Well thank you. I also notice your lack of comment after the friendly match. I was ready to apologize (or to tease you, depends on the mood ;) ).

11. Roger Wilco

Eh, friendly doesn't matter, I didn't even go there (20 fucking €s...). ;)

There are a lot of shittier clubs out there than PSG though.

12. Shaytan

20€ to see my B team beating your team. I understand. Tickets for the whole Zlatan circus are usually a lot more expensive.

Forget the part where I said I might apologize, I will just tease you ;)

It's not a shitty club, it's just different !

13. Roger Wilco

You do have a baby stroller in the logo though, that's unique. ;)

eta: or not anymore, maybe it was changed some time ago.

14. Shaytan

It's Louis XIV's cradle. Saint-Germain-en-Laye is Louis XIV's birthtown ant it's a part of the coat of arms of the town. It disappeared this year and a lot of supporters cried for it.

I agree, I love history but you can't seriously expect to win the Champion's league with Louis XIV's cradle :(

15. Roger Wilco

How can you reconcile that royalist symbolic with your revolutionary leanings anyway? :D

16. Shaytan

It's called accepting your history (and the grandeur that goes with it). You should know that in southern Germany...

17. Roger Wilco

Hah, trolling failed. Southern Bohemia or Western Hungary would be more accurate for Vienna. ;)

18. Shaytan

Because of course you can't leave Hungary alone !

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Geez, Moyes. Just because you replaced Fergie doesn't mean you have to start whinging like him!

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Time for some predictions of the 2013/2014 season...

1. Chelsea
    2. Man City
    3. Man Utd
    4. Arsenal
    5. Tottenham
    6. Liverpool
    7. Everton
    8. Swansea City
    9. Fulham
    10. West Brom
    11. West Ham Utd
    12. Sunderland
    13. Southampton
    14. Newcastle Utd
    15. Aston Villa
    16. Cardiff City
    17. Stoke City
    18. Norwich City
    19. Hull City
    20. Crystal Palace

Wigan, Watford and QPR promoted from the "Championship" and my own Forest to finish about 10th.

Bayern Munich to be the first team to defend the Champions League and England will finish 3rd in Q/F and miss out on the 2014 World Cup.