STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have a feeling that STID was kind of Batman Begins. It brought theatre to the attention of a wide public. Star Trek 2009 offered something of interest for the general public, but it caused little impact.

But I agree with Urban. The public wants to see original stories, creative stories. But I think JJ. Abrams and cia like to recycle old stories.

2. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

Into Darkness still kicking! Epic Monday!

$226,300,625

3. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

It certainly is - bigger daily pulls than Man of Steel and Fast & Furious 6 - very impressive

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

STID hit $225 million both domestically and internationally. Intl updated to $225. 3 million. Awaiting Japan!

5. O. Brien

O. Brien Ensign Newbie

6. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

So what are they hoping to get from Japan?

12 Mill?

25 Mill? :drool:

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/viacom-ceo-crowded-summer-tentpole-598750

"Paramount Pictures launched two strong tentpoles in Star Trek Into Darkness and World War Z , which are on their way to nearly a billion dollars combined at the worldwide box office," he said. "The next quarter will show significant profitability for Paramount, including from these two films, but it will likely be moderately less than we anticipated due to the crowded tentpole schedule this summer and the delay of certain film licensing deals into next fiscal year."

He later added: "This summer had a particularly high volume of tentpole pictures from all the studios combined." Viacom hopes to drive tentpoles' success for a longer period of time, but the crowded release schedule "limited a lot of pictures, ours included," he added.

So, "strong" but "moderately less than we anticipated"

8. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

That's an extremely fair summation of STID's overall performance IMHO, and seems to have been the prevailing opinion on these boards for sometime - naysayers not withstanding.

9. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

I see one good thing and one bad thing (bolded). First, they clearly aren't looking at Star Trek 3 as the last one with this cast or the end of this tentpole iteration. Second, they really don't have any idea what to do about the crowded glut of Hollywood blockbusters. Are Avengers 2 and Star Wars VII still scheduled to open on the same day?

10. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Hey, as far as I'm concerned it's their marketing and advertising problem.

They have a winner of a movie franchise, they want to make more, and they want to compete better in a crowded market of big-ticket movie blockbusters. This means they are going to work harder to make a movie that will be even better and more profitable, and this is great news for the fans.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Hollywood will continue to see diminishing returns on their tentpole films, because everyone is trying to hit a grand slam in the summer now. Making the time a film has to make money shorter and shorter.

12. NuFan

NuFan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Good to hear it directly from the CEO of Viacom after a summer of lying from questionable fans with no access to the books.

13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Dauman attributed it to so many movies out this year and a lack of immediate revenue from licensing.

Timing is everything...
    :vulcan:

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

You would do better to put the period on your sentence right there.

This part - the part which ought to have been omitted:
    is an unnecessary swipe at a particular fan group, and I'd much prefer not to see that here.

Statement, opinion, speculation, hypothesis - all of these are open (within reasonable limits) to criticism, to attack, even to ridicule.

But the people who make those statements, offer those opinions, and so forth - do not attack them; do not make accusations of lying or other offense; do not make insinuations concerning their character. Bad form, those.

Attack the content, not the person.

15. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

The amount of 150m+ films are ridiculous now, especially since most people only see 3-4 movies a summer at most. ST09 didn't really have that much competition.

16. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

It seems like all the nerds in Japan would have watched a download by now.

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I maybe only see 3-6 movies a year, never mind summer.

18. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Well it's going to get more and more crowded especially with multiple Star Wars and Avatar movies incoming. Hopefully Trek can get a wee bit of breathing space next time and not get too close to one of those two aforementioned juggernauts.

Though we are all aware that the new Trek can give most tentpoles a run for their money in terms of quality and enjoyment, there still remains a vast majority who will never give Trek a chance.

19. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At the cinema I maybe only see 6-12 movies a decade, never mind a year.

20. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I wonder if Japan's box office is hurt by their policy to wait after everybody else has had the movie before showing it.