First Star Trek Con Questions

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by RPOW0614, May 9, 2013.

1. RPOW0614

RPOW0614 Commander Red Shirt

Hi All.
    I am going to my first Star Trek convention this June in Boston at a big convention center. I was just curious about what to expect. I have only been to one small Sci-Fi con before and it was fun but very small, only one floor of a hotel. Met a lot of the cast of Farscape.
    I am also getting a picture with Frakes and Spiner and was wondering what the "rules" were for the photo op.
    Thanks.
    RPOW0614

2. LoneDragon

LoneDragon Lieutenant Red Shirt

I've never been to a Con before...
    Just dont ask Spiner how he feels about Datas death...
    And tell Frakes I said Xanatos is much cooler than Riker!

3. RPOW0614

Thanks for the reply LD. I was looking more for just a general overview of the Con experience. I was already planning on staying away from any "fanboy" statments when I met Frakes and Spiner.

4. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

Why?

5. LoneDragon

LoneDragon Lieutenant Red Shirt

I take it you havent read the "Convention Circuit" thread?

6. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Questions not to ask:

1. What is your favorite episode?
    2. Would the show have been better if you (implying the actor IS the character) hooked up with [insert character from show]

7. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Is this a Creation Convention?

Photo ops are generally very brief. It's not a conversation time. You line up, they walk you through, snap the photo, and you're on your way.

Don't ask questions about continuity, technology, etc. They don't know, and usually don't care.

Bring lots of money.

Have a great time!

8. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

What others have said. A photo op, which is usually pretty quick, enough time to say hi and that's it. They also come on stage, talk for a bit and tell a few stories from behind the scenes, then they let you ask some questions. Don't ask stupid questions though. I heard one guy ask what it was like to go through the transporter. Later there's the autograph time, again, just enough time to say hi and that's about it. The cons I've been to usually have an auction as well.

9. RPOW0614

Thank you all for your replies. Most of what has been suggested is pretty much what I expected. I have met a few "famous" people before and managed to get thru the experience without making it uncomfortable for them or me. I kind of figured the photo op was going to be an assembly line kind of situation.