"Castle" season 4 begins tonight

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Neroon, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

David/Maddie, Sam/Diane, Jim/Pam - I've had enough of the whole 'will they or won't they thing' and Castle doesn't need to go down this road. Get them together and figure it out from there. I'd even be ok if they break up, but enough with the teasing. Castle is a very immature person, and Kate is ultra serious so I can't see it ultimately working out, but either way it would give the show a nice dimension.

The mystery itself was pretty generic, and could have been slotted into any number of procedurals. I was trying to figure out how the British guy (who I think slipped briefly into an Australian accent) was the murderer, but they got me on that one.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah I'm just about to my tolerance level with the build up and teasing. You've spent three and a half seasons working towards something that your two principal cast members seem to have embraced when asked about it, and a section of the fan base that is wiled up right now...it is time to execute! Like I said, we'll probably going to be in for a pretty emotional May and have a pay off with "Always".

@Kirby...your avatar always makes me smile and chuckle btw :)

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The actor who played DI Colin Hunt is Brett Tucker, and he is a native of Melbourne, so I guess you're right about the Australian accent, Kirby. (He's a former cast member of the long-running Australian soap opera Neighbours.)

Who the heck are Jim and Pam?

4. Admiral_Young

^ From the "Office" played by John Krasinski and Jenna Fischer.

Looks like we're in for a "zombie" episode prior to "Always" which has been described as being emotional. Wonder how this will work. It will air April 30.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  5. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Last night's episode wasn't their best effort - awfully convoluted, even for this show. Looking forward to Adam Baldwin, wouldn't mind him becoming a semi-regular. I'm sure Bestle fans will get their payoff before season's end - but with a twist no doubt!

6. Admiral_Young

Twist or not they keep saying we'll be "very pleased" which gives me some comfort.

7. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Bingo
    It's a somewhat tired actic that can be made to work.... but I think I've had enough of it. We've been through this plot device a couple of times before, once for each character at least.

8. Admiral_Young

Agreed that they're over doing that element of it. I think May is going to be pretty awesome though.

9. Christopher

Hmm. I found it less convoluted than usual. Instead of the usual pattern of bouncing around between random suspects and motives faster than House's team bounces between diagnoses, they followed a much straighter progression -- they spent most of the episode pursuing the diplomat, and even though he wasn't the guy, he was still connected, so they were on the right track.

10. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

It'll be like a valentine to the fans... ;)

11. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

:cardie: Only us trek fans know what that means... Now I'm very worried.

12. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm primarily watching this show for the Casket relationship, so I really hope they actually do something with it instead of doing an eternal will-they-or-won't-they dance.

13. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

14. Admiral_Young

I'm not really concerned that much about the direction the relationship is headed in, now that we've finally entered that phase. I realize that they still need to construct it in a certain way and continue to tease us, I just wish they'd not gone in such a cliched way yesterday. It all works with Rick's personality and how he deals with stuff, yes, but I thought it would be different somehow. I trust in AW and the writing staff to pull this off still. Like I said, given what other cast members have stated about Caskett so far, I think May is going to be really satisfying.

Tahmoh Pennikett has been cast in a "top secret, but crucial" role. The character name is revealed in the link below.

http://tvline.com/2012/04/04/castle-tahmoh-penikett/

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  15. Admiral_Young

After a week off we're back with episode 21 of the season...and Adam Baldwin. Tensions between Caskett mean we get an episode with Jayne!!! This should be fun.

Feast your eyes on this mega awesomeness! Avengers/Castle promo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvJBNh_1M2Y&feature=share

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  16. Admiral_Young

This is by far the best and funniest episode of the season so far...at least for me. This had a little bit of everything in it. Mystery. Caskett. Adam Baldwin, Molly stuff, Espo and Ryan!!! Just brilliant. I liked the start of the episode where they were basically mirroring Castle and Beckett with Slaughter and Laura. It seems most relationships are either a commentary on the main one or some kind of mirror of it. I was laughing through most of the episode...and distracted by Baldwin's excellent performance as Slaughter (basically I found him to be the Castle'Verse version of Jack Bauer!) to notice the real killer. Michael Dorn returns in a poignant scene with Kate. Molly was looking stunning in this episode, as was Stana. I also loved the score and how this episode was shot.

Oh and for I think the first time in a long time we finally get a "Frozen Heat" update, and as I thought Rick seems to be going through writer's block stemming from being distracted from all the stuff going on with Kate this year.

Finally, I hope Baldwin comes back next year, I'd love to see Slaughter return.

17. Christopher

I didn't like this one much at all. Slaughter was just too broad and caricatured to be believed, every tough-cop movie cliche brought to life, right down to the name. I couldn't believe for a second that the NYPD would allow him to operate like that for any length of time. I could buy Castle writing a character like that, but the reality of anyone Castle uses as a character model should be more plausible than the fiction. This show is supposed to be about the reality behind the fiction, which is why it bothers me so much when it throws credibility out the window -- let alone when it becomes even more fanciful than the "actual" Nikki Heat novels, which are pretty grounded and realistic.

Also, other Firefly fans might not agree, but I was disappointed that Slaughter was too similar to Jayne. I mean, Castle is a profoundly different character from Mal Reynolds, so I would've liked to see Baldwin play a very different character as well, maybe have him be the smart, serious, ultra-professional one frustrated by Castle's antics -- although now that I write that down, I realize that would've made him too much like Beckett, so maybe not.

Always good to hear Michael Dorn's voice again, but it's startling how gaunt he's become these days. It's incongruous to hear that booming, powerful voice coming from such a frail-looking person. Is he still in good health?

18. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Love the doll playing, great nod to Alan Tudyk's Wash there.

19. Christopher

Oh, it didn't occur to me to consider that the playing with action figures might've been a Firefly reference. Though come to think of it, one of them did seem to be a dinosaur.

And of course, Castle gave Slaughter his brown coat. Hard to miss that one.

20. Admiral_Young

Reality behind the fiction? Since when has "Castle" been that? Would the NYPD actually allow a mystery writer to evolve from shadowing one of their detectives to becoming her partner? I don't think so. "Castle" is a whole lot of other things but it isn't that and yeah the whole point of Slaughter's character was that he was supposed to be the opposite of Kate. I think he was written the way he should be.

The Alexis's arc has become interesting all of a sudden. I liked Rick's reaction to Slaughter implying that he was hitting on his daughter. Say what you will about Rick, but he IS a good father on the series.