Thread for people that have actually seen Clone wars

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by biotech, Aug 15, 2008.

1. biotech

biotech Vice Admiral Admiral

I have, I liked it.

Great pacing, and for once you cant fault the acting.

Its just a shame the rest of it is on tv rather than there up on the big screen where it belongs.

2. biotech

So three threads talking about critics reaction to the film, and noone wants to actualy reply to the thread were people actually went to see it themselves?

3. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

Maybe nobody saw it! :vulcan:

4. Captain Euphoria

Captain Euphoria Commander Red Shirt

I saw it with my five year old son and we loved it, had a great time. I think I liked it more but it was cool. People around here expect too much and don't just have fun anymore. I mean, I know it's blasphemy to even say it, but if you go back to the original trilogy, the three films ALL have their weaknesses. Sure, Empire's the best of all three but still... they're just whiz-bang popcorn movies that aren't deep and don't freakin' mean anything. Instead, those movies were a great way to bond with my dad and now I'm able to bond with my son as well. And when you're a kid, you're FAR MORE forgiving because you don't CARE as much as you do when you're a thirty-something uber-fan who gets on Lucas for "raping your childhood" or whatever other idiocy you read on these boards.

5. Ceridwen

Ceridwen Commodore Commodore

My full review is up at my LiveJournal.

6. biotech

I was 7 when I saw the first star wars, the correct target audience they were aiming for.

My parents didn't want to see the film, they asked one of their friends older kids to take me.

Luckily when I see a star wars film now, it just reminds me of when I was a kid, not turn me off for them not catering to adults.

As an adult you tend to like different films than when you were a kid, but that dosnt mean kids films have to be made primarily for adults.

Star wars belongs to kids, it always has, and it always will, and if there are adults that can just sit back and enjoy it like a big kid, thats cool too.

If there are adults who complain the films are too immature, they are just missing the point.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Absolutely. I haven't seen SW:TCW yet, but it constantly bewilders me how seriously people take Star Wars, how outraged they are when new SW material is just cheesy matinee fluff instead of the brilliance they grew up with. News flash: the original trilogy was cheesy matinee fluff. It was well-made and mindlessly entertaining, but there wasn't anything deep or sophisticated about it, and it was scorned by critics at the time. It's just that over the intervening decades, people have read so much into it, superimposed their own ideas and beliefs, elevated it in their minds to something more legend than reality.

If anything, the flaw of the prequel trilogy was that it tried too hard to be more than cheesy matinee fluff, that it was ponderous and pretentious and forgot to be fun. If this movie is unapologetically kid stuff, then that means it's probably closer to the spirit of the original films.

8. comicbookwriter

comicbookwriter Captain Captain

I saw it, I started one of the threads about the critics nasty reactions and I already gave my review.

Like I said, its not bad at all, people are taking Star Wars far too seriously. I enjoyed it for what it was and I will most likely watch it again this week. I was just happy to be sitting in a movie theatre seeing a brand new Star Wars film for the first time since 2005.

I hope that most of these naysayers will go to a nice quiet theatre and give it a chance.

CBW

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I was never one of those people who saw the OT as some "deep and profound" work of art. What I did see back then were some really simple, fun, and magical scifi movies that didn't take themselves too seriously at all, and had really lively and engaging characters.

Unfortunately the newer movies have been anything BUT simple, fun, and magical. They've been dull, incredibly plot-heavy, and overstuffed with nonstop, mindnumbing CGI. And the characters couldn't be more dull and lifeless if they tried.

Sorry, but the two trilogies just aren't the same at ALL.

10. biotech

We aren't talking about the new trilogy, we are talking about the clone wars cartoon, seen it?

11. boushh

boushh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've seen it. Parts of it were good and parts of it were bad. The animation is great. Certain characters comes across very well, while others do not. IMHO, anyway. The dialog is pretty bad... or least the humor portions are bad.

The Star Wars movies were kids movies that could be enjoyed by adults. This movie doesn't quite get to that point. It's not worth the $12 I would have had to spend to see it if I had payed regular price. It is barely worth the $7. It feels like a Saturday morning TV show, and since it's going to be a TV show I guess that works... for TV. I don't know if releasing it as a film was the best idea, except that the space and battle sequences look awesome on the big screen.

And the Uncle Ziro thing was just horrible.

Overall, I feel that if it had better dialog/less stupid humor it would have been great. It doesn't have to be totally serious, but the humor could have been dumbed down a bit less.

12. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

It may be cheesy but it's far from "fluff." The films, all of them, do have some deeper meanings in them.

13. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I think the PT should've had a bit more serious focus, on the level of LOTR, because it was dealing a bit more serious subject matter-the fall of a good man, the end of the Republic, the slaughter of the Jedi, etc.

That being said, I think CW was just okay. It isn't as horrible as the critics are trying to make it out to be. It's just average.

I do fault GL for not really using the film to push animation forward-he's usually ahead of the pack when it comes to FX. Here the characters are too stiff at times and the lightsaber duels especially suffer because of it.

The story was all right, but as I said before average. I wanted there to be more at stake or something. Ashoka or Rotta weren't as annoying as many people claimed, though I don't know exactly who they were aiming for with Ziro the Hutt, but that character just didn't work for me.

They also made the droid soldiers too chatty and dimwitted. But I think they did a good job with Asajj Ventress-very sexy and lethal. Her battle with Obi Wan was the best in the movie.

Overall I don't think CW was a rousing way to introduce the series because it just felt too small. I know wish that maybe instead of focusing on Anakin/Obi Wan that they had made the movie/series about the Clone troopers or just drew on other Jedi or made up new ones for the movie so that there is some sense of suspense.

Since I've seen ROTS, plus read numerous comics and novels, I knew of course that Obi and Anakin would survive, as well as the fates of Dooku and Ventress. Throwing in Ashoka was a good move because she's the wild card. I think the series needs more wild cards like that.

I recommend the movie to kids and only the SW faithful. And really the animation isn't as good as Pixar or even some of the Pixar copycats. But it's servicable.

14. Ceridwen

When you consider that this film was originally meant for television (and that the animation is the same we'll be seeing in the series), then Lucasfilm is pushing the boundaries of what an animated series can do. As I've said elsewhere, this is going to be the most gorgeously animated CGI series we've ever seen, and some of the best animation of any kind that America has ever produced for a weekly show.

15. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are you kidding? The characters in "Reboot" were less stilted this this. Hell, Hexadecimal alone had more expressive features, and she was just a set of masques.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

16. Ceridwen

I get the feeling you haven't seen Reboot in a very long time. I also get the feeling you haven't seen The Clone Wars yet.

17. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have no intention of wasting any money on that crap-fest. And unless the trailors, commericals, and specials have been unrepresentative samplings featuring all the worst animation in the film, I have no problem saying that those wooden ventriloquist dummies don't compare to even early CGI series.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

18. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've only read the novelization, not seen the movie. But while it was "simple", it certainly wasn't "magical". And not all that "fun" either, though I'd lay that more at the feet of the chosen writer than the story; I normally like Karen Traviss's books, but if The Clone Wars is supposed to be fun, they chose the wrong writer.

19. biotech

I'm just wondering if the people that haven't seen the movie, and came here just to slag it off are capable of reading a thread title.

Because if we are just going to slag off films we haven't seen, then the Harry Potter and LOTR films are utter crap.

20. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"People"? Only one person has done so...