Classic Who on BBC America

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by OmahaStar, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Captain Dago

Captain Dago Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Christopher, I've got to disagree with you here and suggest you watch some of the surviving stories with Vicki. She was quite strong in some of them. And Polly certainly knew how to stand her ground with the old man.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, maybe. It's been a long time since I've seen the surviving Vicki stories. But last year or so, I rented the DVD collections of the surviving episodes and fragments from incomplete stories, and Polly did come off pretty badly, much weaker and screamier than I remembered her.

And even so, the point is that Barbara was rather different from what we came to know as the typical female companion -- more mature, more of an authority figure. As they touched on in the opening documentary, the original format of the series was that Ian and Barbara were the leads -- the science and history teachers who would headline what was supposed to be an educational show -- with Susan as their pupil and the audience surrogate, and the Doctor as a mysterious, ethically questionable figure who was the catalyst for their adventures and often got them into trouble.

3. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ I agree with that assessment. It's interesting to see how the series was originally designed compared to how it eventually evolved.

Mr Awe

4. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They really, really didn't want to edit the videotape because tapes were so expensive in those days. Eventually the actors figured out that to make them do a retake you had to swear.

5. Captain Dago

Granted, I am working off of 45-year old memories for my impression of Polly. In those days, I thought anybody who wasn't diving behind the sofa was brave.

6. Christopher

The first time I saw "The War Machines," Polly rather impressed me, because I was a depressed and lonely teen at the time, and the way this pretty, affectionate young woman came over to the sullen Ben, whom she didn't yet know, and took it upon herself to be nice to him and cheer him up was rather touching for me, the sort of thing I wished would happen to me. So I had a positive impression of Polly for a long time, based on what little I'd seen of her -- which was only "The War Machines," since the syndication package we got on our local PBS station consisted only of the movie-length edits of complete or nearly complete stories, so it jumped over the entirety of seasons 4 & 5. I never saw Victoria until they recovered "The Tomb of the Cybermen," and that was the only story of hers I saw at the time. It's only this past year with the DVD rentals that I've gotten to see any more of Ben, Polly, and Victoria, and the ladies haven't come off that well at all in the surviving episodes I've seen.

7. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Ben and Polly era is tragically almost completely gone, as is most of Victoria's era. I find the reconstructions from Loose Cannon (www.recons.com) invaluable for getting a sense of these lost stories.

Their website is rather out of date. It only mentions VHS, but they will provide them on DVD if you ask. Also, some of their recons are on YouTube now (ElDoctorio's channel).

8. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's worth quoting Anneke Wills' feelings on Polly: something like "There's a !!!!! great monster coming at her - of course she screams. It's not fear, it's getting help, 'cos she's got more chance of surviving if she does. And if she manipulates the men a little by playing the helpless girlie, well why not? It works."

9. Captain Dago

I saw all of the Ben and Polly era as well as all of the Victoria stories during a childhood stay in the UK from '66 to '69. That's why my memories are a bit different from those who've only seen the surviving episodes, albeit not as fresh. I won't defend Victoria, except as a lovely, dewy version of fair and screaming maidenhood :luvlove: but I do remember Polly as having some guts to her. Alas, unless those missing episodes are somehow retrieved, this argument is doomed to never be solved. :sigh:

10. Christopher

^No, I'm content to take your word for it, since you have more evidence to go by than I do.

11. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I was really impressed by Polly in the novel for The Highlanders, there she was certainly the equal of Barbara in guts and smarts.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I wonder what single serial they'll take from each Doctor. For Baker it'll probably be Pyramids of Mars or Talons of Wein Chiang, but my vote would be for the Pirate Planet...

13. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Not to go off topic here, but my sister has a loom and she's knitting me the Season 12 version of Tom Baker's scarf! I've always wanted one of those. I'll post pictures when its finished.

14. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The Talons Of Wang Chiang is a six parter it's unlikely they'd show such a long story. It's be a four parter I hope it's The Deadly Assassin.

15. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Highlanders is definitely the high point for Polly - she runs rings around the English soldier Lt Ffinch and keeps telling Kirsty to stop crying and (wo)man up. The problem is the writers were inconsistent about stuff like that and there are stories where Polly is a bit pathetic - exactly what she tells Kirsty off about.

Vicki was also a huge step up from Susan and didn't really have the crying moments - she happily tries to poison Nero in The Romans and leads the revolution and saves them all in The Space Museum.

Victoria has less of those moments and Dodo doesn't really get any decent material - though she is the one that figures out something is wrong in The Savages.

Zoe is generally well handled as they usually always remember how smart she with only the Dominators being a bad story for her.

16. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Assassin for me is quite unusual and not a great representation of the era.

I'd guess they would use a Sarah Jane story to make it more familiar to new who fans so Pyramids Of Mars or Terror Of The Zygons would work.

Though for me his best 4 parter is Robot's Of Death.

17. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

I'd guess City of Death for the "Co-written by Douglas Adams!!" publicity (Pirate Planet is 100% Adams, but while I think it's a great story, CoD is much more well-received and is the highest Who ever got in the ratings).

18. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

My bets: Patrick - Tomb of the Cybermen or The Mind Robber - probably Tomb (although I'd really like them to do The Seeds of Death for US viewers who don't know the Ice Warriors); Jon - The Claws of Axos or The Daemons (because they feature Delgado's Master), maybe The Three Doctors. Tom - Pyramids of Mars or The Robots of Death (I think they'll stick to Hinchcliffe's era); Peter - Caves of Androzani or The Five Doctors; Colin - Vengeance on Varos or Revelation of the Daleks, probably the latter; Sylv - Fenric or Remembrance.

19. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I'm still hoping for Horns of Nimon. It's really a good story, and certainly ties in directly with the Matt Smith era. I think most of the fans who talk smack about it haven't actually seen it.

20. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i never cared for Revelation of the Daleks, i hope they show Attack of the Cybermen instead.