Fringe 5x11 - "The Boy Must Live" (Discussion, Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Procutus, Jan 11, 2013.

?

Grade 'The Boy Must Live'

1. Excellent - Fringe at its best

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. Very Good

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  3. Good

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  4. Average

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. Bad

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. Really Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Terrible Beyond Words

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great episode tonight. I'm really loving this season. Everything from Walter revealing he has memories of the other timeline to September/Donald's return to more information on the Observers to the cliffhanger was just compelling stuff. I'm not surprised that Walter will be making the ulimate sacrifice for the success of the plan. Now that he has overcome the impulses of his dark former self with the help of the Observer boy, Walt can take the necessary steps to complete his redemption. No doubt the moment when Walt reveals what he has to do to Olivia, Peter, and Astrid will be heartbreaking.

I'm happy as hell that Alt-Fringe will make a return in the series finale. It wouldn't have been right for the show to end without it. I look forward to how much things have changed with Lincoln and Alt-Olivia over there.

2. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Cool. I love hidden meanings like that in fiction.

Kind of makes you wonder just how long they've been planning all of this stuff out. I'll really be impressed if it does come together nicely next week.

3. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd freak if Nimoy decided to phone it in one last time, but I doubt it will happen. I did kind of get my hopes up a little with Bell frozen handless in amber though.

4. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

This show really has been about the journey of Walter Bishop, hasn't it? And there really is no one who could've taken us on that journey like John Noble.

5. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Well, all I'll say is that there's nothing in the current story that prevents his return. We know the Observers got him, but his fate remains unknown (unlike Desmond's head).

:lol:

6. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

He'll probably get riddled with bullets less than five minutes are he reappears. ;)

Very good episode. While the end was lame, there were a number of great scenes, like Walter and Peter in the beginning. I like this September a lot better too.

7. NCC1701MF

NCC1701MF Captain Captain

Remember next week we start at 8 pm.

8. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I think it's time to me to bid you folks a good night. I gave this one an 'Excellent' because it really did feel like Fringe. As I noted earlier, Noble and Cerveris were terrific in their scenes.

I don't want it to end, but at least it's going out with style.

See you all next week for the finale. Same Observer station, but NOT the same Observer time; remember it'll be on an hour earlier.

:techman:

9. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Great minds think alike!

:)

10. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

About sacrificing Peter, basically if there are no Observers, Peter (and Walter) will not be saved. That's what I just realized.

11. NCC1701MF

Now the little wind up music box was playing "Greensleaves", but the melody is also used as a Christmas song called "What Child is This"

Anyone know what the jazz piece was?

12. NCC1701MF

And so do we.

13. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

After hearing Donald/September explain the plan to get rid of the Observers, there's one nagging question on my mind: if the Observers were to no longer exist, wouldn't that mean September wouldn't be there to save Walter and Peter in the lake?

14. NCC1701MF

And September would not have distracted Walternate when he's trying to find the cure.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  15. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

My enjoyment of the show peaked in seasons 2 and 3, and I've spent most of the current season uninterested by what was going on onscreen. I like some of the things they've done, but feel no real attachment to these characters who are, for the most part, not the characters we first met. Add in the marginalization of Olivia and the closing off of the red universe, and I've come to realize that I'm really just hanging in to see how it ends.

That said, I did a spit take today when I realized that the final plan for the show is to reset time again, giving us yet another universe with people who look like the characters we remember but who may not remember each other or what they've been through. Ugh.

The bright spot? Michael Cerveris was awesome tonight.

16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

There are an insane amount of plot holes, it's time travel.

17. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

If Walternate isn't distracted, then Walter would have no reason to kidnap Peter who would then be cured and grow up in the alt universe. If he meets and has a child with altLivia, then their child would be Henry whose existence somehow prevents the Observer future.

(I'm hoping at some point for an explanation of how Henry would prevent the Observer future and yet Henrietta insures it.)

18. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Loved that toe-tapping jazz... and father and son moments all around. Excellent.

19. TimmyWl

TimmyWl Commodore Commodore

I liked the episode. The best part was the exchange that Captain Wildmark and the Commander had in the future. Captain Wildmark's confession and listening to the jazz mirrored what Donald/September gone through.

I do agree with IndyJones's opinions somewhat. There is a disconnect to what Fringe was in Season 2/3/4. The alternate universe arc was very interesting. I guess we will see more of it in the finale. I wish Fringe had more time as a series and more of the alternate universe instead of the end as it will be now.

20. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

Some tv shows I found to be a better watch, when I was able to watch many episodes consecutively in a sitting. For example, shows like Stargate Universe, Caprica, etc ...

In the case of Stargate Universe and Caprica, I found the first several episodes of either show to be slow and dragging. I ended up dropping these shows shortly thereafter.

Eventually I picked up the season dvd sets of both shows. (Found them for around $15 each or less). I found both shows to be much better watches when I was able to go through many episodes in a sitting. The storyline "slowness" wasn't a big factor, when I was able to watch through many episodes one after another in weekend marathon viewing.