Star Trek XI DVD - Preorder or not?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by darkshadow0001, Oct 26, 2009.

1. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm actually pre-ordering a bunch of movies from Best Buy right now (with in-store pick-up) since they're having a 30% off sale on all Blu-Rays, so they actually have some decently priced pre-orders at $20.99, which is better than the increasingly unreasonable Amazon prices of $24.99-$27.99.

2. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    UHF sold out within a couple of days, MGM severely underestimated the demand for that DVD.

That's why I don't pre-order, the more often have some sort of exclusive that I can get on launch day since I'm within driving distance of a Best Buy, Fry's and Target that I can get to on my lunch breaks.

3. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

With Blu-ray there is only one set of 3 discs, there may be various special boxes / inclusions depending whom you get it from, that's of no interest to me.

Me 3, in particular because of the travelling involved.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol: UHF? That Weird Al movie? THAT sold out within two days? You're kidding, right? :p (I actually had no idea that was even on DVD in the first place...)

5. milo bloom

Oh yeah, it tanked on original release, but consider it was 1989, up against Batman, ST5: TFF, Indiana Jones, several other big name movies. During testing, it tested well, but just as a fun little comedy, and should have never been put up against the big name flicks. It gained it's audience in the rental market, and used VHS commanded a pretty high price there for a while.

Weird Al was very much involved with the DVD, doing a commentary for the movie and even over the deleted scenes. It's a nice little DVD, and even knowing it had a cult following on VHS, MGM didn't print a very big run and it sold out within a few days. It released on a Tuesday, and I think I went to buy it on a Thursday at Best Buy and it was already out of stock.

Great article here, scroll down a bit for the story of the R1 DVD.
    http://www.allthingsyank.com/uhf15/dvd.htm

It was originally going to be barebones, but Al wanted it to be an SE. When it did release, it was in the top ten in sales.

Man, now you've got the theme song in my head! If it wasn't so late, I'd put the DVD in now. :lol:

Back on topic, I'm definitely looking forward to another viewing of ST XI. Still disappointed we don't have a longer cut, but I imagine that if it happens, it will happen around the release of Star Trek: Something, Something.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think it will happen. AFAIK, JJ Abrams isn't big on extended versions of films. What we saw in the theaters *was* the director's cut. The best we can hope for is just having the deleted scenes in a separate section.

7. milo bloom

Abrams may not be, but I don't doubt Paramount would love to double dip on it. And it's not exactly footage that Abrams was forced to shoot and later cut (like the Blade Runner voice over or a "happy ending"), it's stuff he liked but trimmed for pacing and such.

8. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I live 2 miles away from a Walmart Super Center that is open 24/7 and I plan on being there at midnight the day it is released. I'm going to be there at that time not because I feel it will sell out fast its because I can't wait to get it!

9. MvRojo

But since they were deleted for storytelling and pacing reasons, that would make it even more unlikely a director would put them back in.

10. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok, thanks. Anyone know of aforementioned various special blu-ray boxes/inclusions I should look for?

11. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Abrams is on record saying that the theatrical cut IS his director's cut. However, I agree that Paramount may push for one just to get the double dip on such a successful movie for them.

12. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I think Peter Jackson was successful in doing the extended versions of the LOTR trilogy because he didn't just stick deleted scenes back into the movie he re edited the movies creating a better quality version.

Overall I dislike directors cuts that just stick the deleted scenes back in the movie. Often those scenes are cut for a reason and except for a few instances generally I agree with the directors decision to cut them.

Now since I am a huge Star Trek fan I will wait to see the deleted scenes to form my opinion about this movie.

13. MvRojo

Best Buy - 4 pewter badges
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ar+trek+blu&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=2011874

Amazon - 8.5" pewter model of the Enterprise http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HWRZH0/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Amazon Germany - plastic model of Enterprise (discs fit in saucer)
    http://www.amazon.de/Limitierte-Son...ef=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1256663293&sr=8-2

14. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey, thanks; I couldn't keep up with all the information on what's available. I have one of those pewter badges on my iPhone wallpaper.

15. 24thcenstfan

24thcenstfan Commander Red Shirt

I want the pleasure of purchasing it in the store. I also hope to find a fullscreen version. I hate widescreen DVDs...which seems to be how they are made for the most part these days.

16. MvRojo

Why would you want fullscreen and lose close to 50% of the image?

And they aren't making a fullscreen of Star Trek.

17. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Thats so true. It took me a while to get over the difference between fullscreen vs widescreen....but once you really see how much you lose with fullscreen you can't go back. We lived with fullscreen for so long that it took time to adjust. But widescreen really is the only way to go!

18. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

I was in there today and got the dvd set of Firefly for $12.99. Not blu-ray though. And i got a promo thing advertizing the pre-order offer, which also says there might be midnight events going on.

Do you pre-order it online and then pick it up or is it shipped to you?

19. 24thcenstfan

24thcenstfan Commander Red Shirt

Because I don't have a widescreen TV. I play widescreen DVDs, and it elongates the picture vertically making everyone look misshapened (and super skinny).

In general, I like that format anyway. I may lose some content, but it doesn’t really feel that way since “they” do such a good job formatting for fullscreen.

When “they” first started doing the widescreen movies, they almost always had that black bar at the top and the bottom. I hear you can remove that now. However, before it always felt like they were cutting out content. I was coming out better with fullscreen. Whether I technically was…well, I prefer it visually regardless.

Maybe in time when I update my TVs (not necessary right now), I will get on the widescreen bandwagon. Not right now though.

20. MvRojo

My first widescreen purchase was "Jurassic Park" on VHS back in 1993 when I was 11. Never looked back after that.