Listening to Christmas Music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by MHT1138, Nov 12, 2012.

?

When do people start listening to Christmas music?

1. Christmas Eve

6 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. Thanksgiving weekend

22 vote(s)
    37.9%
  3. Sometime in November

12 vote(s)
    20.7%
  4. I listen to Christmas music all year round

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. I don't listen to Christmas music

11 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

As late as possible.

2. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Anything by Trans Siberoan Orchestra and Send Me An Angel by the Scorpions (didn't even know this one was a Christmas song until I heard it being played in a local store last year during the holidays).

3. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

me too.

I like the old classical songs. Particularly the British ones as they have such pretty melodies and are so joyful. Most German ones are too thoughtful and serious for my taste. Some sound downright sad.

4. Lumi

Lumi Captain Captain

I'm loving every Christmas song by The Carpenters. Classics. Thinking of doing one of them for Christmas karaoke a couple weeks from now.

5. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

^Yup, that whole album is a great Christmas classic. When you do it, record it and post it. I have been listening - repeatedly - to Vince Guaraldi's "A Charlie Brown Christmas" CD.

6. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I forgot to mention:

Ms. Earrrrrrtha Kitt: Santa Baby ;)

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anybody remember the Crypt Keeper's Christmas album? :lol:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MILPwk1kJzY[/yt]

8. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Sometime in November for me, usually closer than not to Thanksgiving. This year I started earlier in the month.

9. Lumi

Lumi Captain Captain

Oh god. I've been recorded singing karaoke before, and I destroyed that evidence! Don't think I could ever post it. But... I'll try... to attempt to... maybe.

10. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Not sure what's it like elsewhere but lot of shops in London start playing really bad christmas muzak pretty much from early Dec. Ghastly.

I've got a CD of classical Christmas stuff which makes 4 nice ring the changes. Stuff like Lt Kije. As for 'classic' xmas tunes, I'll second Kitt's Santa Baby, Garland or Nat King Cole's 'Have Yourself...' (am I the only one who finds that tune really melancholy and sad? - not good for depressives) and Let It Snow/Jingle Bell Rock, which always make me think of Die Hard :p

11. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I like these two, as well.

Agreed. It's odd - I'm atheist, but I love Christmas music. I play the organ, and back when I lived in a house, I'd play this one, Do You Hear What I Hear?, and a whole bunch of others. I'd really crank up the volume and lose myself in it. My family never minded, which was fortunate.

These days I live in an apartment, so I can't do this anymore. :(

But I still write a lot of Star Trek filksongs to Christmas tunes. :)

12. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    One of my all-time favorite Holiday songs, as I'm sure at least a couple of you know by now:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkq7WZTzkLQ[/yt]

It got an Oscar nomination for Best Original Song of 1970.

13. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've got a Christmas music playlist on my iPod that I tried listening to the other day.... it didn't feel quite right. I don't think I'm in the holiday spirit at the moment. Maybe it'll come to me a little later, but I dunno. It's difficult for me to really get into the holiday mood, particularly right now when I'm somewhat irritated with life.

14. Gaseous Anomaly

Gaseous Anomaly Bonzo Admiral

I usually start on my wedding anniversary, Dec 21. Anything earlier is too much.

15. pigletsgiblets

pigletsgiblets Commodore Commodore

I hate Christmas music.

16. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I'm the same; an atheist who loves Christmas music, even the highly religious stuff. Although I must admit that I hate "Do You Hear What I Hear"! That song just goes on and on and on for-fucking-ever!

Other traditional songs I'm very fond of are "Good King Wenceslas" and "O, Come All Ye Faithful." Like you, I love to play Christmas Carols, though I do so on a cello.

17. Grey

Grey Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I fucking love Christmas. End of story.

Ok, there are a few songs I can't stand. But as far as I'm concerned, Christmas starts a little earlier and ends a little later for me each year.

(But, um, I force myself to not listen to or do anything Christmas-y during the rest of the year. Otherwise it won't be special!)

Also: Sufjan Stevens Christmas collection. The best.

18. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Sufjan, for sure, although my favourite stuff from his first collection aren't even the Christmas hymns (Come Thou Fount, Holy Holy Holy).

I grew up hearing the Carpenter's Christmas album, so it's not Christmas until that one is playing.

The Charlie Brown Christmas album is another must.

Although there isn't much that I'd go for in contemporary music in this area, I'm also partial to Over the Rhine's Christmas album, "Snow Angels". Their twist on O Little Town of Bethlehem is great, as is their instrumental tribute to the Charlie Brown album (called "Goodbye Charles"). Unfortunately, neither of those two tracks are on YouTube, but the latter was uploaded for free by the band at the link given.

19. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure if it's available in other countries but Amazon in the U.S. has a mini album of mp3 Christmas music that is free until 12/31.

20. MHT1138

MHT1138 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's from the movie "Meet me in St. Louis, a great movie btw, and when Judy Garland sings it to Margaret O'Brien it is very melancholy. The line "Have a merry little Christmas now" is referring to next year's Christmas might not be so good.

Seriously, rent "Meet Me in St. Louis" . It is full of great songs. Judy Garland is wonderful in this movie. Vincente Minelli, the director fell in love with her making this movie. She is lit beautifully.

Alright, I'm done now. I feel like Robert Osborne of TCM :lol: