Why did everyone hate "Faith of the heart"?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Mr. Scott, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Mr. Scott

Mr. Scott Commander

Howdy!

What is your opinion of the Enterpise theme song, "Faith of the Heart"? It seems like the vast majority of people hated that song with a passion and thought it was out of touch with the science fiction nature of the series.

I am in the minority. I like the song.

Your opinions?

Senor

2. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

I did not hate it. I thought it fit really well. I did get tired of it after 4 seasons. It may be that people did not like the change. Before this series the theme songs to StarTrek had been orchestrated pieces.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  3. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another fan of the theme song here. I plan on amending my will, stipulating that it gets played at my funeral...

Seriously though, I liked it right until they messed the arrangement around from Season Three onwards. The original version was vocal focused (almost acoustic), light percussion gathering momentum, finally some guitar and orchestra to round off the song... going out on a high near the end. I hated the frantic electric guitar strumming and heavy backbeat they subsequently thought it needed throughout. That turned it into the pop song everyone had been criticising it for, without reason at least until that point. Caving into network pressure to shake it up, was as good as admitting the theme didn't work to begin with...

The most beautiful voice I've ever heard sing the lyrics would be this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RIK1w1FiNY

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  4. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because we're all big heavy metal fans around here. It needed more drums and to be screamed at the audience at an uncomfortable volume.

Seriously, it wore thin after listening to it week after week. I'm one of what I'm sure is a tiny minority who would like to see music like that in the episodes on rare occasions, once a season or so. They do that sort of thing on most shows, even BSG had its great All Along the Watchtower moment. If Faith of the Heart had been used as a bookend at the end of Broken Bow then it would have been great, but having it play every week just got irritating. It was especially annoying during season 3 which was a very dark and intense season, Faith of the Heart just didn't fit in.

5. 24thcenstfan

24thcenstfan Commander Red Shirt

I was initially off put by the fact that it contained sappy vocals instead of the traditional theme music that had basic instrumentals (with voice over/intro).

I also didn’t think it had a “Trek” or Sci-Fi feel to it.

I especially didn’t like the pace of the song in the first two seasons. I disliked it even more when they increased the tempo.

In the end, the song grew on me. I don’t mind it now. Why, I don’t know. It just happened. It also seemed to fit more with the montage that was showing during the opening credits.

6. Middleman

Middleman Captain Captain

I liked it actually. I saw and understood the message they were trying to convey. I particularly liked the season 3 & 4 re-mix.

7. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I rather liked the song itself, but yeah, it wore thin after a while, particularly the Season 1/2 version, which laid it a bit thick with the cheese.

8. frenchman

frenchman Commander Red Shirt

well, i like this theme song, but i think they would have to change it with the third season. it was darker than the other season.

9. IrritatingGameOfChess

IrritatingGameOfChess Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm not usually a fan of that kind of pop song, but I thought it worked well... particularly in unison with the images in the main credits.

I think it broke with tradition and that jarred with people's expectations of orchestral Trek themes.

10. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

11. Karnbeln

Karnbeln Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I loved the song. I think it's one of my favorite parts of the series, actually. It didn't feel like Star Trek, no, but it felt like Enterprise (don't take this as a bash at Enterprise). It just blended in with the premise of the series so well- Explorers going into the unknown, making one small achievement in pursuit of a dream at a time, and humanity's ability to make what once seemed impossible very much reality through shear will and ingenuity, the audacity to dream and the drive to challenge the impossible.

Actually, you know what? That DOES sound like Star Trek.

I must say that I was one of the people that dropped out as season one wore on though (which I regret now), so maybe I didn't have time to get sick of it. I must also join the chorus of people who HATED the bongo-drum remix. I felt like they ruined the beauty of the song.

12. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

I agree:vulcan: I myself loved it! But I think they shulde have changed it to the main theme from ST-2 During season 3 onward. I think Faith of the heart was really more suited for romantics, but since this is star trek they shuld have done something more adventures.. like the TREK 2 theme!

13. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IIRC, there were 2 or 3 variations. I only liked one, I think it was the seasons 2,3 one. I liked the one with the words and instrumental music. But I thought they changed it at at least one point, faster or something, and I didn't like it.

Nice words etc. My problem with Trek Credits- and I liked FotH more than most- they're too long. DS9's in almost a minute. Put 2 or 3 names at a time, and make the credits half as long. Dear land.

14. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

That's what i'm saying.. FAITH was about overcomeing man's problums (war, prejudice, famine,) and FINALLY discovering our collective potantial and soaring in to the void of space and exploring the stars beyond! But with season three we really needed something that said, weve explored the stars, but weve been threatend now, we need to fight back and kick-ass! thus the ST-2 theme kicks in to high gear!:D

15. IrritatingGameOfChess

IrritatingGameOfChess Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Trek 2 theme is my favorite of the movie themes; it's the most adventurous. You're right. It would fit well with the epic sweep of the Xindi mission! :)

16. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Lovely version - if you're going with a female vocalist Sarah McLachlan would be ideal because of the pureness of her voice. Evanescence would do great with it if you want an edgier female vocalist. That said I like the one they used 1st season just fine.

17. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

We need a version with the tempo at half the speed of the season 1 version, Celiene Dion singing and John Tesh on piano. :devil:

18. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I always liked it. Still do. I have all four versions of the song including the 1988 Rod Stewart version burned onto a CD.

19. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Meh. I liked it, even if...
    But...

And...
    I always loved how they put Decker and Ilia's theme from TMP in Voyager's main credits theme.

20. Terengo

Terengo Commander Red Shirt

The song itself was OK, but not really my style, but I thought it didn't fit with prior Trek series' music, all of which was orchestral and "big". My all-time favorite was the theme to Next Generation. My son was studying French horn at the time it was first-run, and we used to really enjoy when the horns go crazy at the end. Eventually he learned to play the theme from Next Generation and DS9 (which runs a close second for me).