JANUARY ART CHALLENGE - BREWGINEERING

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ensign Ro-, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Ensign Ro-

Ensign Ro- Commander Red Shirt

Well, with news and promotion for the new Trek film finally starting to amp up, I thought this month's challenge should revolve around it somehow. I am one of those many people who relatively enjoyed the new take on our beloved series but also share a common complaint...the use of a VERY recognizable brewery for the Engineering set. It took me right out of the movie in each of it's scenes.

So, my challenge to you is design what you'd consider to be a proper looking Engineering Section for the new JJprise. Keep in mind the aesthetics used in the 2009 film but design with a true Trek fan flair. Your submission could be a simple pencil sketch, blueprint, or just a certain camera view. Would you use parts of the brewery set? Would you return to the days of a single warp core? A gritty, mechanical look? Or maybe a highly polished one? I'd love to see what the fans here would do if they had been the set designer in 2009. Good luck and have fun.

Ensign Ro-

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is an excellent challenge.

3. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aww, man... this one's calling to me.

4. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aww, man... this one's calling to him.

:D

5. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

6. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

7. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Vecktor submits an entry, we might as well just give him the "prize" by default, because his work will blow everything else outa' th' sky. ;)

Sincerely,

Bill

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

My problem is if I want to enter I gotta look up images from a movie I've made it my life's mission to avoid.

(sigh) It's never easy...

9. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not really. Just look at a snapshot of your bog standard mega-corp brewery and say to yourself, "avoid this." ;)

Sincerely,

Bill

10. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Not that simple. That would just leave me making up an engine room from scratch, and my idea of an engine room in Trek is "Matt Jefferies didn't think one was necessary, and I always ask 'What Would Matt Jefferies Do?'"

In order to tie it to the design in the movie I have to see things like the design of the bridge, and if I want to put people in the image I need to see the design of the uniforms.

11. Ensign Ro-

Although it should seem to fit into the current JJprise, I strongly encourage you and others just to put your own spin on it. Personally, I'm interested in seeing the various artists' takes on a design. My submission (and others I've seen so far) try to encapsulate various components and styles from TOS to the *cough* alternate timeline. :-)

12. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the only question i have about this month's challenge is: Does it need to look affordable?

I mean, you can design a lot of engine rooms that would blow the production budget to build. So is that intended to be a constraint, given you said "the set designer in 2009?"

13. Ensign Ro-

Money is no object. ;-)