I thought that episode was original, until...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JirinPanthosa, Jan 1, 2014.

1. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Don't think so, I got the reference from the audio commentary for Naka Jima Kill. They're both episodes about a cross-dressing assassin, if that's any help.

2. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

I was just thinking of Tabula Rasa too.

I'm also reminded that ST:TNG, Buffy, and Lost all had episodes in which a character is led to believe that he or she is actually hallucinating the whole series and is really a patient in a mental hospital.

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ DS9 did the same but had a rather unusual take on the idea with Sisko/Benny Russell.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Mudd's Women" is a variation on the Mail Order Bride trope". Elaan of Troyius" is a close cousin of that trope as well.

5. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't Elaan "Taming of the Shrew"?

6. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Had to look it up on wiki. Yes, but MAN, was it complicated case! In part:

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yes, but she's also a "mail order bride" of sorts. I was going mention she was part of the Shrew Taming trope as well, but decided to let someone else go for that one.

8. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    And an inversion of the Trojan war with Elaan/ Helen being taken from Elas/Hellas (The Greeks) to Troyius/Troy to stop the war rather than cause it as in Homer.

9. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

There are a number of broad concepts that Trek uses more than once and across shows such as split personality, a crew member invisible/dimensional shifted so the others can't seem him/her, time travel, hallucination or dream episodes, computers/virus vs. the crew, etc.

Other genre shows use these broad concepts often as well, but I don't think anyone ever claims that they are original ideas. They have become a staple of such programs. At some point your space crew or main characters in a scifi/fantasy show are going to come across one of these stories.

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The basic idea of Elaan can be seen throughout history where a marriage is arranged to hopefully establish peace between two warring states or nations.