It's my birthday, and I'll cry if I want to

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Brent, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Today is my birthday. Here is what will happen.

1.) I will stay up all night working.

2.) I will not go to sleep, but rather keep working through morning.

3.) I will work all day in a semi awake/sleep state.

4.) I will of course eat throughout the day.

5.) I may take some time and fire up STO later in the day, catch all my TV programs for the day.

6.) I will go to sleep later that night, and repeat the next day the same.

What will not happen.

1.) I will not get invited to go out anywhere for my birthday.

2.) I will not have a birthday dinner.

3.) I may get a couple of texts, or phone calls, to wish me happy birthday, may.

4.) My own sister that lives 10 minutes away will ignore my existence as usual. That one hurts the most.

and more....

And I'm getting older, 34, I feel old.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have had some terrible birthdays. It sucks.

I'm sorry you are having a shitty one. Happy Birthday from me!! Try and do something a little extra for yourself today :)

3. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

I had a birthday last week. My best friend took me to dinner, and I got a few texts, but in general (which is usual for my birthday) nothing happens on the level of what most of my friends do for theirs. Never ONCE have I had a surprise party or anything arranged, or a group get-together with anyone aside from my parents and brother.

Everyone else seems to. I never do. Just once, I'd like that to happen. I've planned things for other friends' birthdays but they never return the favor. And texting has seemed to replace calling these days. That sucks. How much effort does it take to call someone on their birthday? My mother taught me that was the polite thing to do. Now, it seems that less and less people do it. What the heck has happened to people?

Anyway, at least I haven't hit 30 yet. Maybe next year when I do hit 30, it'll be different.

And happy birthday to you, Brent! :)

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh believe me I've had birthdays where not a single person said happy birthday, texted or called. Now I have older kids who make my birthday absolutely fantastic every year which I am extremely grateful for. In fact, I have to tone them down. I don't talk about the shitty years, because it means talking about the shitty people who shittily did nothing and I like to be positive. But it's funny I always think about those terrible lonely birthdays when I'm having my nowadays wonderful ones.

Of course it took a lot of decades to get to the better ones.

I will say one thing helps Brent, if during this next year you are aware it is someone else's birthday, whether you know them well or not, do some nice thing for them. Box of chocolates will do. It can be really nice to have someone remember and if people don't do it for you you can feel better by doing it for others.

5. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I agree with all that.

Also, personally, I hate working on my birthday, so I don't. It feels wrong somehow to work on my birthday.

(I'm over 30 now :( )

6. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I have a huge party on my birthday.

7. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Brent, I've had plenty of that kind, too. Do something special for yourself. And "Happy Birthday!"

8. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

You're alive, celebrating a birthday. I turn 34 in January. I am excited about it, as I am any birthday I'm not looking up at the ground. Shut your whining mouth and be grateful.

9. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with this. Since I started working, I have never worked on my birthday. I always schedule a vacation day, sometimes two, since my birthday is July 2nd. I try and combine it with the Independence day holiday and make a long weekend of it.

10. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Oh I am sorry to hear that, a few weeks ago I turned thirty and to celebrate my two best friends, my fiancee and myself went to my fiancees home town in Ireland for a brief weekend (Friday through Sunday) where we got drunk and had lots of fun.

My actual Birthday was on the Monday after we got back, in comparison, my actual birthday was a massive let down and was rather anticlimactic so I can feel your pain.

11. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    I am at the age where my birthdays are no longer happy occasions.

12. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry to hear that Brent, I've had quite a few of those myself. When that would happen to me, I'd just go out of my way to do something nice for myself and just say "f--- everyone" Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

You're on quite a roll. Infraction for trolling. Comments to PM.

14. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Me, too. Even though I'm married, I have discovered that if I want to celebrate my birthday, I have to plan it myself. I always take a day off of work for my birthday and do whatever I want. I INFORM hubby that he's taking me out to dinner somewhere nice. This year, I planned a joint birthday party with a friend who has birthday just a week or so after mine. We planned a big Doctor Who themed party and invited all our friends. If I hadn't taken the initiative, that would have never happened.

So, Brent, make your own birthday special for YOU.

15. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I used to have boring birthdays. Now I have expensive birthdays instead. Not sure which is better....

16. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

You call that old? This should make you feel better: I'll be 63 in January.

Do something special for yourself, is what I've learned. Whether it's dinner out, or buying yourself some frivolous thing you've always wanted.

And have a happy.

Oh, and with some jobs, I always tried to schedule my birthday as a day off.

17. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I never did understand the point of celebrating birthdays.

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

If I'm working or others have plans, I find a way to enjoy the evening or the day whatever way I want. Doesn't have to be all that extravagent.

Whenever someone has free time, I make some basic plans with them, which mostly consists of drinking and watching movies.

Basically celebrate it whatever the hell way you want and is most convienient to you on the day. Afterall, it's the one day of the year where everything is about you.

19. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

I didn't celebrate my 30th birthday until I was 31. The 30th was not a year to celebrate, to put things diplomatically.

20. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Brent, since it's your birthday and I've had very little alcohol this year (maybe 3 beers), I've since bought a pint of Baileys Irish Cream to vicariously celebrate. Cheers. Hip hip hurrah. For he's a jolly good fellow and all that stuff.