Rob Zombie's Halloween II Discuss/Grade Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by nx1701g, Aug 29, 2009.

?

Grade H2

1. Excellent

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Above Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Below Average

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Poor

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

2. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

So did anyone see it? I'm going on Tuesday.

3. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

I saw it Saturday. It was pretty bad.

4. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been meaning to see it. Funny how The Final Destination In 3-D tops Halloween II and then the following Monday, Halloween 3D is announced.

5. Spaceman Spiff

Fine by me, if Rob Zombie's not involved again.

I have no idea where the next writer/director will take it, though. I'd almost prefer another reboot at this point. :lol:

6. Jayson

Jayson Vice Admiral Admiral

It was awful. It was just a bunch of pointless, rehashed murder scenes. I think Rob Zombie, sabotaged this movie on purpose, since he never really wanted to do this movie.

Jason

7. Ward Fowler

Ward Fowler Commodore Commodore

It was garbage.

8. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I forgot about this movie... probably because it's August.

9. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Yeah. The first one was dire, and this one was just plain bad.

It amuses me, though, that between the original ending of Zombie's Halloween, and the ending of this one,
    killing Malcolm McDowell. :lol:

10. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Well I finally saw it and I have to admit that I think it's the worst film I've seen this summer (and that includes Transformers 2 and even the Asylum's Terminator ripoff).

Laurie Strode essentially becomes Michael Myers.

That was pretty much the only thing that didn't make me give it a Poor instead of Below Average. It was probably thought of as being an amazing idea for her to do what she did and descend like she did, but Halloween fans had already been exposed to that possibility.

So much potential. Interesting that they've greenlit Halloween 3-D...

11. Spaceman Spiff

I gots some rants, but I don't feel like spoiler coding a huge paragraph.

Anyone mind if we get spoilery yet?

12. Ward Fowler

I don't mind. I hated the damn movie. It'd be cathartic to read why someone else hated it. :)

13. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Might as well.

14. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I'd love to hear more of what you have to say, Spiff. I haven't seen it yet, but don't really plan on it until the video release. But spoilers on this one don't bother me at all. What did you think of the first one, just for a frame of reference?

15. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

I couldn't believe it when at the end of the movie, Laurie looked into the camera (or...our souls, perhaps?) and said "And now....it's the season of the witch!!"

So fucking spooky.

16. Ward Fowler

17. Spaceman Spiff

There was a lot wrong with it, right from the premise. I'm not an anti-remake guy by any means, but filling in Michael Myers's backstory was pointless. No matter how effectively it might be done, it still humanizes him, which makes him less of a boogeyman.

That said, for the most part, the first half of the remake was decent. It doesn't work for the Michael Myers/"The Shape" monster, but Zombie almost cobbled together an interesting story of a more lifelike serial killer. I never bought into it as the story of John Carpenter's characters, but aside from a few problems (a random patch of white trash in the middle of Haddonfield?), it was at least interesting enough to watch.

As soon as it gets to grown-up Michael and becomes an abridged version of the original, though, it falls apart. I didn't care about any of the characters--in fact, as soon as Laurie Strode did the finger-in-the-bagel bit, I actually disliked her.

The second half almost felt totally disconnected from the first. Zombie spends all that time developing Michael as a more realistic character, and as soon as he's grown, he's no different from the Michael Myers we've seen in all of the other films. That makes the whole first half seem pointless.

Because the backstory is lumped together with the abridged retelling of the original, the movie's way too long, to boot. So the movie somehow manages to drag on while feeling too rushed at the same time. That's some feat.

Yeah. So that's the first movie, and I liked it much more than this one. How am I doing so far? :lol:

18. Mr Nighttime

Mr Nighttime Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The movie sucked like a starving hooker.

19. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

You pretty much summed up all of my thoughts, too.

Regarding Zombie's sequel:

Why did he go to the concert and just happen to kill a random friend?

Why did he then go to the policeman's house, which was in the middle of nowhere, instead of sticking around the concert and picking off more random people? There was no reason for him to go there - this wasn't his old house, he didn't follow Laurie to her new house - he should have no idea Laurie was staying there at all. There was no Halloween 2-type news announcement that Myers just happens to hear, saying 'Laurie Strode, who is living with the sheriff, says happy Halloweeen!' He just "appeared" where he needed to be to put the main characters in danger.

Combine that with Loomis "appearing" at a random shack with no location given, where every earlier indication was that he was in another state (or at least hours away), and you say, "Wait a minute." You can try to excuse things individually, but when you have a bulk of silly bullshit happening in the movie, it is harder to apologize things under the rug. Even in a horror movie, where silly bullshit is to be expected.

If you say he "just happened to go to the concert," then too much "just happened" that happened to get the plot to where it needed to go. If there was a purpose, it was an undeveloped/explained purpose, which is also bad.

The movie seemed to maybe indicate that it was because Michael's mom told him to kill all of Laurie's friends (and her old boss) to turn Laurie. But then again, this makes Michael's mom supernatural, which is introducing a supernatural element halfway through the movie out of nowhere.

Guh. Rob Zombie, you are not a good filmmaker. Cut your losses with The Devil's Rejects (which is barely mediocre), and go back to making shitty music.

20. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Why is this out now, and not, you know, Halloween?