Mad Men season 6 (spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by ALF, Apr 7, 2013.

1. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that subconsciously, Ted sees Peggy as the trophy in his battle with Don. She was Don's protege. Having her symbolizes Ted's ultimate victory over Don. It's just that, once Don is out, the spoils are not so sweet. Not Peggy per se, but the whole sordid business that Peggy has come to represent to Ted. He did after all encourage Don to take that drink before he made his chocolate pitch. Screwing your enemy's protege is one thing. Kicking a sick and struggling man off the cart is another.

2. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Affair-wise, Ted comes off way worse than Don. I was totally disgusted by him in this ep, though it had been coming on for some time.

3. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Meagan already knows about "Dick Whitman".
    I'm not surprised. Don is a very complex character but you seem to see only the surfacy, obviously assholish and contradictory stuff that Don does. Weiner has, over the last 6 seasons, shown us what, and from where Don came, and why he is who he is. There is much more to the character than the things you choose to focus on.

I get the impression he is your favorite character but you are missing several dimensions of the character that might help you get a clearer picture of who he is and might make him even more interesting (or enjoyable -- assuming you want to enjoy the character).

BTW, Peggy bears at least some of the responsibility for being "led on" by Ted. Part of her wanted to be led on. She knew at all times that Ted was married. Not absolving Ted for his deceit and weakness, but Peggy brought it ob herself.
    The burglar was apparently caught and the D.A.'s office wants Sally to testify or at least wants her statement.
    I found the end, when Don physically took his kids to the house, then standing in the street out in front and telling them that this is where he grew up, quite moving. They made a point of letting us here Bobby say that "this is a bad neighborhood". So the kids knew where they were. For Don Draper, this was beyond huge, in fact I'de say it was the most biggest and most positive step we've seen Don make toward understanding himself and allowing those whom he loves most to actually enter his life.

It made me nuts with curiosity about where and how this most damaged character would end up.

I agree with the poster who said that a physical suicide for Don is almost surely not going to happen. This show is too good for that.
    I wondered about this too, especially since they made such a point of telling us (several times) that it was a one man operation.

Most interesting episode. Can't wait for net season.

4. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I felt the same way. And remember the song that played as Don looked at his kids:

I've looked at love from both sides now
    From give and take, and still somehow
    It's love's illusions I recall
    I really don't know love at all​

I usually don't speculate on what direction things will go, but that scene was very suggestive of redemptive potential.

5. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I know there's more to the character than what's on the surface. I see what Weiner has chosen to present as the traumatic events that molded Don, but Don's stinging cruelty at several points during the series have often surpassed what might be considered expected due to the abuse Don suffered. There are times the character's behavior has been completely beyond the pale. Shocking, even. Hamm really nailed it. Don completely rejecting his brother was one of those moments. His treatment of Betty at times really tiptoed that line.

I don't know if its Hamm's portrayal, or the writing, but I've always had a hard time sympathizing with the character. Pete's done equally horrible things, but there's something about the pathetic-ness of Pete and his lack of social graces that makes me feel a level of sympathy even though he deserves a thousand smacks for his behavior. Could be the actor. Kartheiser's never gotten enough kuds, IMHO.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  6. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Los Angeles is Detroit with palm trees. Heh.

Don sitting in the bar drinking like Darren Stevens used to on 'Bewitched' watching Darren Stevens on 'bewitched' was one of the greatest meta moments in recent television history.

Pete's mother falling off the ship was a little too soap opera and a little too Roselyn Shay's going down an elevator shaft for me.

For your consideration advertisement: Elizabeth Moss probably should get an Emmy this year.

That look that Sally and Don gave each other and was goddamned heartbreaking. Well done. One of the things I've always said about don as far as being redemptive is that even when he fails he tries to be a good father. It seems like the realization that he's been a bad father is what is triggering his possible rehabilitation.

7. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I always listen both commentaries whenever I purchase the latest season of Mad Men on Blu-Ray.

This time, I'll be even more interested than usual in what Matt Weiner has to say in the commentaries.

8. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even moreso when you consider this part of the song:
    Oh but now old friends are acting strange
    They shake their heads, they say I've changed

Well something's lost but something's gained
    In living every day

I've looked at life from both sides now
    From WIN and LOSE and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all​

9. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

It's a major irony that I only post on TrekBBS anymore to talk about Mad Men but there we are...

... sorry to bump this thread, but I figured fellow fans should know, if they haven't kept up, that the seventh season is being split up. Seven episodes will be airing in Spring 2014 and seven in Spring 2015.

Here's a link.

10. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Jeezzzzz .... milk the cash cow till it bleeds ...

11. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

It may be a budget issue for AMC as well. Spreading the cost for an ending show over two years allowing more to be spent on new products.

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I really like Mad Men, but I'm not really crazy about this idea.

13. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they should be cautious about this kind of thing. If you want fans to remain enthusiastic about your product, you have to actually deliver that product. Seems like TPTB at Mad Men are operating under the assumption that "absence make the heart grow fonder." Maybe they should pay more attention to another saying: "Out of sight, out of mind."

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

As long as it's planned in two parts, and not just arbitrarily split into two halves with an interminable hiatus between them, I don't mind. This seems to be the case, so, okay.

Of course, I'd rather have it all now, but this has always been a series that requires a bit of patience.

The only downside is the inevitable home video release, in which I will end up paying double what I did for the previous seasons (well, of the first four I own so far, anyway), but for only one extra episode of content.

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Man, I hope they don't split the Season 7 video release into two parts. That would be an unconscientionable cash grab.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Those in charge split the home video releases for the split seasons of Breaking Bad, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate Universe, and The Sopranos. I rather doubt this will be different, especially since, after a year hiatus, the first half of the season on home video will be used to promote the second half of the season on television.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The article also quotes Weiner as saying:

There's economic and scheduling reasons to film everything at once. That, in and of itself, doesn't really speak to the motives of AMC (which strikes me less as an effort to make more money, than an effort to heighten the network's profile by keeping new episodes of Mad Men in the air for another two years rather than one).

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

AMC also split the final season of Breaking Bad. This network seems desperate to extend their hit shows as long as possible, the only reason that we are getting spinoffs of Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead.

But I see the network falling hard as soon as their three big hit shows end. AMC's bad reputation for kicking their show runners to the curb is starting to catch up with them. Who wants to work for people like that?

20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Their treatment of talent will probably continue to be a problem -- I know Bryan Cranston had a show he wanted to do at AMC, but the network balked, saying they were more interested in doing shows with broader appeal, like The Walking Dead -- but their bigger problem has been that nothing they've done lately has made waves like their early successes in scripted drama (in this cycle of scripted shows on AMC, anyway).

Not unlike Showtime before it, there was a brief period when people were talking about AMC as a successor to HBO. Now their biggest hit is a horror show, and they have gotten into reality programming and talk shows.