Alexander Siddig Interview: He reveals anger over changes to Bashir

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Dream, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

SPOILERS for the entire show

http://www.ugo.com/movies/alexander-siddig-interview

Wow, talk about an interesting interview. I agree with Siddig that the new information about Bishar's background came out of nowhere. I'm still uncertain if it turned out to be a good thing or not. It was certainly lazy of the writers, a random plot pulled out of nowhere that VOY writers might come up with. I had the same problem with Sisko finding out that he was half Prophet near the end of the series, which was even worst.

I am really glad Siddig resisted the writer's attempts to turn him into a Data clone. The last character they created to ripoff another was Pulaski, and we all know how THAT turned out.

How did you feel about Bashir's genetically-engineered storyline?

2. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Re: Alexander Siddig Interview: He reveals anger over changes to Bashi

^I don't blame him. Were I playing a TV character, I'd want to know what the producers have in store for him. Maybe I wouldn't be able to know every detail until we started shooting, but I'd want a general idea of what my character's like and what's going to happen to him.

--Sran

3. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I had heard that before, but I was not aware that he had a friendship with Colm offscreen that was similar to their onscreen relationship! That's pretty awesome!

4. Captain Clark Terrell

The DS9 cast was like that. Avery and Cirroc were close to the point that Cirroc became almost like another of Avery's children even off the set.

--Sran

5. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I agree with him. The producers just pulled that out of nowhere without any forewarning or consulting him. That is a terrible thing to do to an actor.

I've mentioned several times that I noticed a change in Bashir's personality since that episode. Not just because of being genetically modified, but obviously now we know for sure that his passion went down a lot since then. As would anyones...

For my disagreement...I did not see it as creating another Data. Being an android and being genetically modified to be more intelligent are two totally different things. I did not see him as a Data-clone after the revelation.

Love his real-life relationship with Colm Meaney! :D

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  6. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's naive to expect the writers to have planned everything out in advance for a five-to-seven year show. Of course they only came up with it at the last minute - that's what they do with ALL their ideas, every episode was basically come up with at the last minute, because that's how TV works. (Or at least it did at the time, in the 90s. Nowadays there tends to be more planning ahead, but still not generally more than a season at a time with any specificity.)

I also think it's rather childish to throw a tantrum over being asked to do what a TV actor is hired to do - act the words the writer wrote. An actor has no right to expect to be consulted over the words that are written for him, because that's not his job. He's the actor, not the writer - let them write.

Yes, it might have been courteous to give him some notice - if they had known themselves, which they didn't - but it is in no way required. And it's rather petulant of him to imply they treated him badly by giving him an interesting script to work with.

If an actor wants to influence the direction of the story, he does it through his acting. That way the writers can pick up on what the actor is doing and work it into the character. But he does not doing it by refusing to learn his lines, standing in the corner with his arms folded and pouting his lips.

7. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^actors do that all the time

8. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Bashir's awkwardness and smarm made him one of my favourites from day one. They didn't have to give him a jarring backstory for me to enjoy him better.

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked him in the beginning when he was a wanker and I liked him in the middle when he was a genetically modified wanker and he was okay in the end when they forgot about the wanker part or maybe he just grew up and I very much liked him and Ezri getting together. One of the few Trek romances that really worked.

10. dub

While it was an interesting twist and revelation, I don't believe the genetic engineering bit was difficult to believe from an audience perspective (to me anyway). He was clearly incredibly intelligent. This was an interesting way to not only give Bashir a bit of a backstory, but also introduce his parents and create some drama/conflict between him and his father, and within himself. It also made for some interesting moments between Bashir and O'Brien as their relationship grew.

But it's not a unique situation for an actor to disagree with writers. Nana didn't like the idea of Kira and Odo getting together at first. She also talked about getting in a screaming match with Ira about a potential affair between Kira and Dukat. Avery said in an interview that he would have done things differently if he was a writer/producer for the show. Rene said he didn't want to do the tux bit before joining the great link in the last episode. I think Terry Farrell said she wanted things to end differently for her character. I'm sure those are just a few examples of plenty of instances over the years when actors battled writers, probably directors as well and more. There are lots of opinionated people who worked on the show and were heavily invested in the characters. Disagreements like that are not surprising.

11. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 Commander Red Shirt

I never thought it was that difficult a plotline to reconcile with the character. Actually I thought it explained a lot, his forced over-the-top behavior and awkwardness early on can be seen as him trying to play a "normal" human and failing miserably because he's isolated himself and become anti-social to keep his secret.

It also gave the writers an inroads to create the whole Section 31 thing. It would've been difficult to pull off without some good reason why 31 would want him.

I suppose I can see the actor's agitation, but at the same time, it's a sci-fi series. You should probably expect a weird development or two every once in a while. Siddig comes off as whiny here, IMO.

12. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Good point. I can understand the annoyance at having to make acting changes on short notice, and disagreement on how the narrative should affect character development, but I felt the character was more interesting latter seasons.

13. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Agreed.

I guess s**t happens, and everybody has a right to air their opinions. But, I must say, I'm really starting to get bored with assorted Trek actors bitching and moaning about their artistic integrity being compromised, stirring up old feuds and just generally coming off as petulant and damn ungrateful.

I find it particularly annoying when commentary is given reference deliberately turning in substandard performances and the like. I dare say those of us with "ordinary" jobs would be booted out on our arses for doing the same. I've lost count of the times I've had to "suck it up" and complete tasks I vehemently disagreed with in the office - that's life.

14. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

I liked the revelation; it made the super-doctor thing Trek does actually make sense for a character so young.

Of course, I almost watched the show backwards (starting in S6) so of course a lot of things fans (myself included) would have complained about don't really bother me.

15. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah...I really get his point. You don't give that kind of change to a character without talking to the actor about it.

Had I been the one in charge of that storyline, I'd personally have made it so that Bashir DIDN'T know he was enhanced, so that it was REVEALED to him--and he'd become furious with his parents for keeping that secret from him...but then come to realize that he's truly angry at himself, as well--as he's afraid that all this means that everything he's done, all the intelligence and skill he's trusted in--was all based on a lie.

Side note: I LOVE how he and Nikki are hanging out in real life, too! ;)

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

It was a cool idea and Siddig did an excellent job with the episode, but I can definitely understand his frustration. It pretty much reveals that Bashir was putting on an "act" for the first half of the series, and pretending to be someone he wasn't in front of his own friends.

I mean, are we seriously supposed to believe he never once confided in O'Brien about this family secret? Or Dax, who he liked and confided in about all kinds of other things? Especially for something that didn't seem all that shameful.

Although still, in terms of false story notes, I don't think this comes close to the Odo/Kira romance. That is one I just didn't buy for a second.

17. d'Anconia

d'Anconia Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Gap in the fabric of all Time and Space.

No, that isn't completely correct. In an episode near the beginning of the series, he had said to Garak that he missed a question on his final, so that he wouldn't come in as the first in his class (or something similar to that?). After watching that episode, it is implied that he did that on purpose, so he could hide his enhancements.

18. dub

Genetic enhancement is illegal in the Federation, so he had good reason to keep quiet about it, even to his closest friends (who also happened to be in Starfleet). While you and I might not consider it particularly shameful, it's something that hurt Bashir deeply going back to his childhood. I think he kept quiet about it also because he was trying to forget about the whole thing. I don't think he was putting on an act as much as he was simply in denial about it. He wanted to be treated as a normal human being, so that's how he handled himself. He had moved on, and here he was forced to face it again which is the last thing he wanted to do. That was what I took away from it.

Well, I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one as well and I know there are strong feelings on both sides of this one. This built up for a long time, so it didn't really come out of nowhere. Odo had clearly fallen in love with Kira early on. After getting involved with several men who were her "type," Kira finally decided to go down this road with Odo, and it turned out to be a lovely thing for both of them. It was one of Star Trek's more beautiful romances (to me), hence my avatar. :)

19. Captain Clark Terrell

As did I. I don't think he was trying to deceive anyone as much as he was trying to distance himself from what happened. His parents were the ones who decided to have the re-sequencing done. Once Bashir learned the truth about his background (while in high school), he did everything he could to separate himself from what they'd done to him. That he stopped calling himself "Jules" as opposed to "Julian" is a nice way of illustrating how he felt about his past.

--Sran

20. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I like your idea better! :)