Your home and sea level rises

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, May 15, 2013.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

The locals said I was insane for building a levee between my condo and my neighbors'. Locutus' Folly they called it. "You'll be consumed by your mad dreams!" they screamed. "What possible use is there for a levee when you're six meters above sea level and over a mile inland?", they argued.

Muhahahahahahaha! When you're done being waterboarded by the Pacific, SUCK ON THIS, YOU SOGGY BITCHES!!!

[​IMG]

I hope you fools enjoy hanging out with Ursula the sea witch, that creepy robot Haley Joel Osment, Aquaman with his lame ass fish tales, and Kevin Costner with his freaky gills and webbed feet and tedious monologues, because dry land is not a myth up at Casa Locutus.

But don't worry, I invited you all to my beach party. I emailed the invitation to Dory... oh, she forgot to tell you? What an unexpected turn of events. I guess your punk asses better keep yourselves entertained by finding Nemo again, huh?

2. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately no sea coast for me in the foreseeable future.

The northern Italian Adriatic coast is fucked though if this projection is correct (and they don't build any sea walls or so), and it's interesting that the Crimean could become an island.

3. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, the perpetual smugness of the unsoggy and not-drownded landlubber rears it's decidedly moisture free head!

May you be divebomed by incontinent gannets and have barnacles attack your house.

4. Locutus of Bored

Do you want some sea salt to go with your whine and cheese? ProTip: It's all around you, so help yourself.

Sorry, I don't bother paying attention to you and the other mer-folk until it's Shark Week. You're much more entertaining when you're peacefully floating on the surface of the ocean, blissfully unaware that you're about to get a Great White colonoscopy.

5. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

My place will be flooded somewhere between a 4m and 5m rise. I live right on the other side of a levee next to a large river, so this is not unexpected. The river has never flooded here as far as I'm aware, but who knows what could happen. Luckily, I am moving in a few months and my new home will be safe until about 10m. So not much better I guess, but this is what happens when you live in a valley connected to a large delta system.

6. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I think our sturdy ships will confound their dastardly attacks. How remiss of you not to think of such a simple solution. In any case, I've always wanted to strike a Captain Morgan Pose on deck as I gaze thoughtfully into the middle distance.

Also, coastline raiding. Booty and whatnot. Yarr.

7. Locutus of Bored

Indeed.

[​IMG]

8. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

At over 5,280 ft above sea level my house looks just as dry as ever even at a 60m increase.

9. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At 20 meters I'll be ok, but take it up to 30 and I'll have to move a couple of hundred meters.

At 60, I'm camping out at the office.

10. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Ha! OK, that was funny. :)

And on that note, I bow out gracefully having run out of insults. Also, bottle of rum and stuff.

11. Locutus of Bored

The rather suggestive picture on the left was from a billboard for a naval museum or something similar. It was posted here a few years ago, and prompted me to use the Captain Morgan pic for the threadbomb. It's been sitting on my HD, unused for years, until today, when it returned to have its vengeance. ;)

12. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

At 50 m, I'd be living on an island with most of my city underwater. At 60 m, I'd have to move elsewhere.

13. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Always nice when that happens. :)

14. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Ha! Fucking Romagna. They deserve that. :evil:

At +13 meters, my town will be beachfront propriety.

Bye-bye, Romagna. Hello, new Adriatic coast. My Adriatic coast.

Costa dell'Iguana. Tonanteville. Marina dell'Iguana. Cooleddieburg...

Cooleddieburg? :vulcan:

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  15. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I just checked my boyhood hometown. My old neighborhood would be dry, but the town would have hell of a harbor.

16. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

you guys have WATER in your state?

17. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

My home would not be under water until a 7 - 8 meter rise, but I live on a peninsula that would turn into an island at about 4 meters.

18. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting!

I'd have water a few blocks from me at 9 meters and would be underwater by 20.

19. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even with a 60m rise, water is at least 30km away.

Fresno...where even floods don't want to go.

20. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So if the polar caps melt, this confirms my safety... and the beach is only an hour away instead of two now.