Anyone paying attention to the new pope thing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by farmkid, Mar 12, 2013.

1. farmkid

farmkid Commodore Commodore

Based on the coverage in the news media, you might get the impression that the choice of a new pope is a big deal that affects everyone and everyone cares about it. It's the lead story on many, if not most, of the news agency websites. But, why? It seems to me that it only affects Catholics, and even for them, it won't make any difference in the lives of most.

So why does the news media think we care? Am I missing something here, or does this really just deserve a brief mention in the religion/faith section? Or maybe the news media is interested in it for some other reason, not necessarily because they think we care.

2. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Well, the idea that the pope affects only Catholics is a bit naive -- the church is a massive lobby in many nations, and unfortunately, what happens with them affects us all.

Despite this, my interest in all this nonsense extends about as far as getting a hearty laugh at Tim Minchin's show in NYC last weekend when he took the credit for the pope retiring before playing this:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTIorwtJbhE[/yt]

3. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

its like the oscars. it doesnt affect anyone outside the specific field but its treated as a big deal by everyone else.

but with elderly men wearing dresses.

4. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe Catholics make up a sixth of the planetary population (something like that, anyway); anything which is important to that number of people is going to be important for everyone. Not on the personal level, but in terms of the knock-on effects and the prominence/influence of the catholic leadership. A major political institution is seeing a change in power; that's always going to be big news.

5. thestrangequark

^Exactly, however indirectly, this does affect us all.

6. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I ♥ Tim Minchin. :adore:

HBO On Demand had one of his full performances (Tim Minchin and the Heritage Orchestra), and it was awesome. He needs to come to Cincinnati. I'd make the trip down just to see him, and if I managed to arrive in the correct city (let alone the correct building), I think it would just be a fantastic experience. :D

7. thestrangequark

Oh man, J, at the risk of making you horribly jealous, did you see my pictures of his show last weekend? It was amazing -- tiny venue, got to meet him (and he was lovely), and this is where I was seated:

[​IMG]

Plus, since he was here to promote Matilda, he played a song from it as the encore and some of the cast were in the audience and sang along. It was just a freaking awesome show!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ffg9AylgAA[/yt][/QUOTE]

8. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Ooh! I AM jealous! :lol:

9. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I wonder if bets are being taken on the outcome.

10. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I would take notice if, when the white smokes appears, it forms into a big genie, who grants everybody in the world three wishes. :)

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Can argue influence, but it's a worthy news story if only because it's not something that happens that often. Electing an older, 'tread water' Pope last time around meant it came faster than usual (plus quitting instead of dying in office), but on average, it should be closer to what? Like every 15-20 years, on average?

That alone makes it worth the news coverage, even if the US isn't overly Catholic. Plus, easy to add the drama with the candidates, backroom deals, constant games of "will they, won't they" with the colors of smoke, etc. Not hard to hype up.

Only reason I'm really looking at it is that there's a Cardinal from Boston in the mix, so it's slightly more of a local story. Plus, in general, it's interesting even though it doesn't affect me.

12. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I'm really crossing my fingers for this guy:

[​IMG]

He could take the church in a whole new, wonderful direction.

13. SwimmingGnu

SwimmingGnu Lieutenant Red Shirt

I only pay attention because I want to see in which direction the catholic church are heading.

14. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I'd like to see them become more progressive, maybe enter the late 20th century if nothing else. I'm not saying get rid of what they hold dear, but stopping with the foolhardy positions against women, and against gay people, would be a good start.

15. SwimmingGnu

SwimmingGnu Lieutenant Red Shirt

^ Agreed! :)

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm Lutheran, but I am paying attention to this. I certainly don't wish any ill will against the Catholic Church or its members. It's obviously a very important thing they're doing, and perhaps the new pope can be very helpful.

17. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

[​IMG]
    If Cardinal Sarducci makes the cut, I'm betting he'll opt for the moniker "Lazlo the 1st", though I'd prefer he take the name "George Ringo" to offset the "John Pauls" that preceded Palpatine.

18. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Personally I couldn't care less.

However I hve a friend who is posting all about it on Facebook. She says she wants Cardinal Schonbron to be the new pope. I don't know anything about the possible candidates, I will assume she is being serious - though she does have a wicked sense of humour so she might be pulling our legs.

19. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

It's a big show. Simple as that.

Still, I have a fondness for sinister politicking and backstabbing, so of course I'm following this.

Spot on. :lol:

Of course they are. I have my money on O'Malley (unlikely, but that would be cool).

I just hope they don't elect an Italian.

20. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    As every morning, I wanted to watch online news from my country (oh-so-Catholic Poland). I wasn't very surprised seeing that the whole 30-minute evening news was only about choosing the pope. Not surprised, but annoyed. Really? Nothing else happened in the world or country? Absolutely nothing? :rolleyes:

I get it this is important, but hardly the only matter worth attention.

So I didn't bother with watching the news.