7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Sep 29, 2012.

?

Grade "The Angels Take Manhattan"

Poll closed Oct 30, 2012.
  1. The girl who waited

100 vote(s)
    64.5%
  2. Something borrowed

35 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. Average

10 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. Is it bad that I really miss this?

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. You're Scottish, fry something

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Crowd control and I guess since they were in NY why not use Central Park

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You have no soul if you don't get choked up at this picture.

[​IMG]

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think Eleven is more mature than some of us are giving him credit for. However, when it comes to people like River, Rory, and Amy, he doesn't see clearly. This is the first time in a very long time that the Doctor has felt like a part of a family, and he understandably doesn't want that to end.

3. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

He's also seems to have spent more time with River and the Ponds than any other companion that we know for sure about. He mentioned that he was around 1200 in an episode and he was around 907 when he first met Amy. So a quarter of his entire life as been with them. Also it is probably the best relationship anyone ever had with their in-laws.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

The Doctor didn't replace himself with a lookalike robot. The Tessalect always was shot, he was just mistaken about it being the Doctor.

It's been shown that the Doctor has some sense of what a fixed point is. He figured out that not dying didn't destroy the timeline there, but he's also figured out that replacing Rory and Amy but leaving a tombstone would alter the timeline.

5. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

[​IMG]

6. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Call me Angelus then.

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Did he learn, really? After the who Timelor Victorious moment, he saw the Ood, knew what it meant, so what did he do? He ran, gave himself a little farewell tour, except then, when finally giving in to his destiny and exchanging places with Wilf (and for a moment he actually looked like he wouldn't) what does he proceed to do? Oh yes, he goes on another farewell tour, in fact he holds off his regeneration so long he almost blows the Tardis to pieces. Not to mention popping to visit Rose before she knows who he is, but nah, that'll probably be ok, no paradox there!

not to mention manipulating all of time and space to make Donna rich.

Of course eleven had a bit of a farewell tour as well, the difference is, when the moment came, he went willingly, nobley, and he knew he was going to his actual, final death as far as he knew, whereas Ten was pretty certain he'd regenerate.

I know which one's the better man.

8. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eleventh doc also seems to be more human than his predecessors in many ways. He lacks the Tennant ego and is very much capable of love and selfless sacrifice. I think some people assume he is immature because he is quite happy and excited a lot of the time, but there's nothing inherently wrong with this. His actions speak volumes.

9. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

^ & ^^
    Agreed.

To me, Eleven's an actual person. Ten's an egotistical, irritating caricature. But I'm just a viewer; what would I know?

Nah, fine by me (and thanks). Thanks for providing me with a jumping-off point - so to speak. :D

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Plus being overly excitable and somewhat immature surely come with the territory when it comes to the Doctor. Personally I quite like that Smith is less like a grumpy hyperactive child (like Ten) and more like a grumpy, overactive old man!

11. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Matt Smith is definitely a more alien Doctor than the previous two.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Which is why I think he's become my favorite of the three. He isn't just some goofy guy running around getting into trouble.

13. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly, the tombstone was always fake, he was just mistaken about it being a real tombstone with Rory and Amy beneath it.

Mr Awe

14. Ghost Bones

We must be watching a different show. In fact, I'd think I was watching a magic mirror if I was Jar Jar Binks watching the Eleventh Doctor.

15. Deckerd

Well he is a goofy guy running around getting into trouble but there's something other worldly about him. I never got that from the others.

16. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Unless you are wrong, in which case New York has blown up. That's the point you're missing. You could be right, however, the Doctor, who is usually pretty good about figuring these things out, thinks you are wrong.

17. Ghost Bones

Aside from his big weird face, he's no more alien than any ADHD child whose orange squash someone forgot to dilute. Even Christopher "miner from down the pit" Eccleston was more alien, and he spent all the time eating chips and trying to shag bimbo chavs.

18. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I'd toss out the lot of them for the return of FOUR.

19. Deckerd

You don't see it but I think most people do. There's something of the night about this Doctor.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Smith is also the only Doctor I've sen so far that truly scares me. He's happy and running around having adventures a lot of the time, but piss him off, and he will make you wish you'd never met him. I've watched "A Good Man Goes to War" half a dozen times, and the scene with him and Colonel Runaway still gives me chills.